Can i be garnisheed for a hospital bill ? i only have social security income

•  

Jerry Lutkenhaus

Answered On Feb 19, 2012
I don't practice in your state but I have practiced Social Security disability law for 35 years. I can tell you your Social Security disability check is exempt from garnishment. However, if that check is deposited in an account with other monies it may lose it's SS identity. If you receive a garnishment, contact a legal aid lawyer in your state immediately. This is meant to be general information and is not meant to be legal advice.

Robert Jason De Groot

Answered On Aug 31, 2012
No. Social security disability benefits are exempt from garnishment, and so are retirement benefits. They can try to garnish, but you have valid defenses.

Clint Curtis

Answered On Mar 27, 2013
The only way that they can be garnished is if you co-mingle the funds with other income sources. Make sure that if you have any other money coming in from anywhere, including gifts, etc. that you keep the SS money in a separate account.