My mother had a stroke.I am her medical power of attorney. My sister is disabled,how do I become her P.O.A.?

•  

Rachel Lea Hunter

Answered On Mar 29, 2013
Medical or financial? Is your sister mentally competent notwithstanding her disability? Where does your sister live? If your sister lives in NC or GA, I can prepare a medical and/or financial power of attorney for her for a reasonable fee. If she resides in a state other than NC, she should consult an attorney in that state. Your sister would need to complete a power of attorney and name you as her agent. If your sister is not mentally competent, then you will need to pursue a guardianship for her finances and person. Some states call a financial guardian the conservator. I would suggest that if you need to pursue a guardianship that you get an attorney who does elder or family law as they are familiar with these situations.