I WANT TO KNOW HOW I CAN GET VISITATION RIGHTS OR GRANDPARENT RIGHTS, HERE IN THE STATE OF MAINE?

•  

Robert Guillory Esq

Answered On May 9, 2013
To get these rights in Maine is almost impossible. You would have to show the Court that at some point in the child's life you were essentially acting as the child's parent with the consent of the biological parents. You have to prove you were in the position of being a "de facto" parent and that now your contact has been cut off and that it would be in the best interest of the child for you to have contact. In Maine parent's rights are protected and it is presumed that they know what's best for their children. If they decide to cut off contact between the child and the grandparent it is their decision t make and unless there are extreme circumstances the court will not overturn that decision. Sorry I can't offer you a more optimistic view.