How do I go about asking my wc manager about a lump some/percentage for getting injured and surgery?

Roy Lee Warren

Unfortunately, Texas no longer allows injured workers (IW) to settle their workers’ comp case for a lump sum. However, you may be entitled to an impairment percentage. Benefits paid for a "percentage" as you state, are called impairment income benefits (IIBs). Generally, the IW’s treating doctor, or a doctor the IW is referred to assigns the rating. An impairment rating (IR) is only given after the date when your condition has stabilized or you are deemed to be about as well as you will be. That date is known as your MMI date. The percentage of impairment assigned varies greatly with the compensable injury. I would strongly suggest you to seek guidance of an attorney because IRs are a very difficult area that involves complicated laws and expert opinions. Besides it would not hurt to have a lawyer that is knowledgeable in WC law review your case to ensure you obtain proper benefits and to review the calculation of your benefit amount. Good luck in pursuit of your claim. Roy Warren; San Marcos, Tx.