May a private party initiate proceedings and prosecute another in a criminal court, or must this be done by the DA?

  • You can follow answers to this question by subscribing by e-mail or RSS
  • Share |

Answers (1)


Shawn H. Smith

Answered On Jun 18, 2013
Must be done through the DA. A private party can make a complaint to the police or the DA, but it is up to the state as to whether they will pick the charges up or not.