Ask a Lawyer

Ask a Lawyer allows you to get free answers from lawyers in your area for basic legal questions on a variety of topics, including family law, employment law, criminal law, and more.
Add details
More Information:
Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Recent Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Probate for California on
Q: Can I sue my lawyer for misrepresentation, he missed all filing dates ect.

He failed to represent me in court.

David Ostrove
David Ostrove
answered on Jun 30, 2022

You may sue your lawyer, but that does not mean that you will win anything.

You must prove all the elements of your case:

You must prove that he/she was your lawyer.

Did you have a client lawyer fee agreement?

You have to prove that your lawyer was negligent,...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Florida on
Q: Can my 12 year old daughter decide to live with me the mother rather than her grandmother the father's mother?

We went to court and he got primary custody because it was in the middle of school year he now left to work out of state and left her with his mother to live .his wife did not want for her to stay in their home. My daughter does not want to be with grandmother and the school year is about to start... Read more »

Pamela J. Fero Esq.
Pamela J. Fero Esq.
answered on Jun 30, 2022

You can file a petition for modification as long as you prove it's for the child's best interest to live with you. Act the soonest.

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Contracts, Arbitration / Mediation Law and Civil Litigation for Texas on
Q: I have a friend who needs legal representation for a insurance claim matter
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
answered on Jun 30, 2022

A Texas attorney could advise best, but your post remains open for two weeks. Attorneys here can't reach out to solicit your friend's matter. The format here is only question and answer, not attorney referral. But the closest thing here is the Find-a-Lawyer tab above. Your friend could... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Estate Planning and Tax Law for New York on
Q: What say does a beneficiary (me) have concerning how cash assets are distributed? Executor chose, not the deceased.

We are in NY State. Brother (executor) wants to distribute over 4 years (tax reasons): I prefer lump sum or 2 years. Can the cash be distributed in different ways to different beneficiaries? If not, does this require a legal intervention?

David Ostrove
David Ostrove
answered on Jun 30, 2022

The trust language controls. The Trustee must administer the trust strictly in accordance with the Settlor's intentions.

1 Answer | Asked in Uncategorized for Florida on
Q: Does statue of Limitations ends when you are arrested or when the prosecutor file the charges
Terrence H Thorgaard
Terrence H Thorgaard
answered on Jun 30, 2022

A statute of limitations prevents the state from CHARGING you after a specific period from the alleged crime. If you are arrested, you can be charged until the period of the statute of limitations has expired. On the other hand, if you are arrested but not charged, you can seek to be released.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.