Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Questions Answered by Bill Beckert
2 Answers | Asked in Estate Planning, Personal Injury and Probate for Connecticut on
Q: What I have to do to get my settlement money?

I had a malpractice suit against the doctor when I was a minor. Judge reward money for me and because I was a minor my mom had it. My mom has been secretly using my settlement money since I was a minor and still using it. I am an adult, and I am not under guardianship, but mom tells me I can't... Read more »

Bill Beckert
Bill Beckert
answered on Nov 9, 2022

Under CT law, a minor who receives a settlement must have the funds deposited in a restricted account administered by the Probate Court. Your mother cannot withdraw money unless she gets an order approving the withdrawal from the Court. In another words, she would have to apply for permission to... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Personal Injury for Connecticut on
Q: Am I liable for any injuries after a sale of a moped in the state of Connecticut

I sold a moped and the moped broke causing injuries to the person riding it

Bill Beckert
Bill Beckert
answered on Jul 18, 2022

it depends on whether you knew the moped had any damages or defects that led to the problem that caused the injury to the rider. It also depends on whether you had a contract where the buyer bought it "as is".

1 Answer | Asked in Personal Injury for Connecticut on
Q: If I get civil Summons for a personal injury suit and it says the amount is greater then $15,500,how much more can it be
Bill Beckert
Bill Beckert
answered on Jul 6, 2021

$15,000 is an amount that invokes a certain jurisdiction of the Superior Court. There is no limit to what can be recovered, but Courts are always on the look out for excessive or improper awards. Each case is judged on its individual merits.

1 Answer | Asked in Personal Injury and Child Custody for Connecticut on
Q: Can my ex-husband sue me if our daughter gets hurt on a trampoline at my house?
Bill Beckert
Bill Beckert
answered on May 3, 2021

The short answer is yes. But it depends on the condition of the trampoline. For example, if there was safety equipment that was not assembled or connected to it, whether there were problems with the trampoline that you knew of, but nevertheless let her use it.

Now it may be that he is only...
Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.