Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Alaska Adoption Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Family Law, Adoption and Child Custody for Alaska on
Q: If my grandkids in Michigan are removed from their mother's care, her wish is to have them sent to me in Alaska.

Her wish is to have the kids placed with me and her step-father! What steps would we need to do to make this happen?

Stefan Otterson
Stefan Otterson answered on Dec 3, 2021

It sounds like the kids are already in the custody of the state in Michigan. That means you will have to work with their Child Protective Services office (CPS). Ask your daughter for the contact information for the assigned social worker and contact that person to let them know you are requesting... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Adoption and Child Custody for Alaska on
Q: I need help answering child custody and adoption q&a in alaska and arizona.

My children were taken by ocs in alaska and placed in foster care with non relatives because my entire family lives out of state they have filed termination and trial just occurred for termination judge is waiting for the closing arguements. My brother and father in Arizona want to adopt my... Read more »

Stefan Otterson
Stefan Otterson answered on Nov 12, 2020

Yes, your relatives can do two things. They can intervene in the CINA case to contest OCS's placement decision, and they can file an adoption petition, which would probably be assigned to the same judge handling the CINA case. They should have legal assistance for that, as there is lots of... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law, Adoption and Child Custody for Alaska on
Q: We signed our daughter over to my mother after ocs battle and my mother won't let us be apart of my daughters life.

Can we get visitations established or does she have the right to basically turn us away. She lied to us and agreed we would be apart of her life but only let's us see her 1 time every 2 months

Stefan Otterson
Stefan Otterson answered on Apr 10, 2018

Your rights depend on the paperwork you signed. If you agreed to a guardianship then the visitation provisions in the order can be enforced, or if there are no specifics, then visitation can be reviewed by the court at your request, and visitation provisions can be added. If you signed a... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Child Custody, Family Law and Adoption for Alaska on
Q: I have a child that’s been living with me for 13 1/2 years. She isn’t my blood or my adopted child but is my daughter.

I want to know how can I keep her with me permanently. She doesn’t like going over to the other persons house. She fights me because she hates it there. I just need help. The adoptive parent has never given me a dime for this child.

Stefan Otterson
Stefan Otterson answered on Dec 17, 2017

The only permanent solution to this problem is adoption. That is something you would probably need legal help with, particularly if the legal parents are't cooperative. It is possible to do an adoption even if the legal parents aren't on board, but it might require a trial, which can... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law and Adoption for Alaska on
Q: The only proof that I have that my father is my father is on the death certificate with my name on it as daughter.

Will this be enough to prove that he is my father?

Terrence H Thorgaard
Terrence H Thorgaard answered on Oct 24, 2017

Probably not. If he had signed it, it might be regarded as an admission, but of course dead people don't sign their own death certificates. Is there any of your father's DNA available?

1 Answer | Asked in Adoption and Family Law for Alaska on
Q: Foster parents rights to adoption what are the legal options?

We have had a child for 3 years since she came out of the NICU at 41 days. She was born addicted to heroin. Her mother has only seen her three times in almost three years. They have 15 months to show improvement. No relatives were found in Alaska to take her and out of the blue one shows up a great... Read more »

Stefan Otterson
Stefan Otterson answered on May 31, 2017

You should first do everything you can to work things out with the social worker. If possible, you should try to get the guardian ad litem to advocate in your favor. If you have no luck with the social worker, go up the chain to his/her supervisor, and on up. OCS has broad discretion to make... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Adoption, Child Custody and Family Law for Alaska on
Q: Can someone who has had their parental rights terminated from all of their children, adopt another child?

My mom and I take care of my sisters children who have been placed with us for a while now under her foster care license. Someone told me that if a parent has had their rights terminated, that they can not adopt a child. I was just wondering if this is true.

Terrence H Thorgaard
Terrence H Thorgaard answered on Apr 20, 2017

No. The court would look into the reason for the TPR, but it would be a case-by-case determination.

1 Answer | Asked in Adoption for Alaska on
Q: Would my mom be able to adopt my baby without any trouble from the baby's dad. Because he left after I told him.

I'm 17, I don't want the baby's dad to meet her or have anything to do with her because I'm going through this alone. I don't want him on the birth certificate and I'm not asking him for child support.

Terrence H Thorgaard
Terrence H Thorgaard answered on Oct 6, 2015

For a child to be adopted in Alaska (as well as in most other states), you have to make reasonable efforts to give him notice of the adoption proceeding. Since you know who he is, your mother would have to serve him with process. This doesn't mean that he can successfully object, but he has... Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.