Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Alaska Juvenile Law Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Family Law, Child Custody and Juvenile Law for Alaska on
Q: I wish to move away from home w/o parental permission, will i be able to do so without being brought home?

I am 17, employed, and going to school. My friends mother agreed to take me in, she is also employed with three children and plenty of room. What qualifications would the authorities need in order for me to live away from home? I am not emancipated or living away from home at the current moment nor... Read more »

Stefan Otterson
Stefan Otterson answered on Feb 4, 2018

Generally, emancipation is the legal path that gives you the ability to do what you intend. It does require parental consent with some exceptions. There are a few alternatives, such as specific emancipation and guardianship. Alaska Youth Advocates has a handbook that goes through all the... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Juvenile Law, Divorce, Family Law and Child Custody for Alaska on
Q: My 17 year old is being criminally detained in juvenile detention. In this scenerio have my rights been terminated?

I have sole legal custody & primary physical of all 4 kids with my felon ex in another state getting visitation. My son & ex believe that I have lost custody in this scenerio & that I cant put my son into residential treatment or theraputic foster care (Im not comfortable with him... Read more »

Stefan Otterson
Stefan Otterson answered on Nov 2, 2017

Your rights have not been terminated, and your custody order remains in effect. Physical custody may have been temporarily given to the state (though there's a big difference between temporary detention pending trial, and being committed to a facility at the final disposition hearing). The... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Child Custody and Juvenile Law for Alaska on
Q: my daughter has been living with her father for 3 years now and wants to move back to live with me.

I have custody of her but her father and I agreed to let her move to Washington with him. now she has run away and wants to come back. what are my rights as her parent and if I picked her up or flew her home would there be any legal actions he could take against me?

Stefan Otterson
Stefan Otterson answered on Sep 2, 2017

If you have custody under a court order, there would be little risk for you to fly her home. The important thing is to keep the father in the loop. Just keep your daughter safe and work together with her father. If you can't do both, err on the side of keeping your daughter safe. Just... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law and Juvenile Law for Alaska on
Q: If I enroll in college before I turn 18 can my mother remove me from college for any reason

I would apply for federal aid

Stefan Otterson
Stefan Otterson answered on Jul 23, 2017

This may be a matter of policy at the particular college you pick. In general, until you turn 18 your parents have legal custody of you. This means they have decision making authority, and they are the ones who are supposed to sign admissions paperwork, etc. However, some organizations make... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Child Custody and Juvenile Law for Alaska on
Q: I am 17 in 7 months. I Live in a house with verbal abuse everyday. Can I legally move in w/my boyfriend in the summer?

I have been dating him for 5 years. He moved 2 weeks ago. I am going into foster care due to the verbal/mental abuse everyday in my house. I have a job and have been providing for myself for at least 6 months. I know his family and I know it's safe there. I just want to know how legal it is to... Read more »

Stefan Otterson
Stefan Otterson answered on Nov 7, 2016

There is a legal process for gaining independence if you are living apart from your parent or guardian and can show that you are capable of sustained self support. The process is called "emancipation." If you are still living with your parents or you are in foster care, it's not... Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.