Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Arbitration / Mediation Law Questions & Answers
2 Answers | Asked in Probate, Arbitration / Mediation Law, Civil Rights and Elder Law for New Jersey on
Q: My Aunt (now deceased-covid) had a will in 2008. The person on that will is contesting “new” will. Stating incompetent

He already took her 2 friends estates. She got angry and devised a new will. A lot of $ involved.

H. Scott Aalsberg Esq.
H. Scott Aalsberg Esq. answered on May 30, 2021

This person obviously knows what he is doing so you better get a good lawyer to make sure he doesn't win.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Arbitration / Mediation Law and Civil Litigation for Florida on
Q: I was in a relationship and bought a car. My ex boyfriend's name is on the title, what are my rights

I was in a relationship and during the course of the relationship, I took out a car loan and bought a car. I have been making monthly payments on the car and I paid the initial processing fees. My ex boyfriend's name is on the title for the car and he used to receive upkeep for the car... Read more »

Tami Lane Augen
Tami Lane Augen answered on May 27, 2021

You are both owners of the vehicle as you are both on the title. If you are the only one who signed the promissory note to purchase/pay for the vehicle, then you are the only person legally responsible for the vehicle. He is correct in that he does have an ownership interest in the vehicle. If... Read more »

Q: Neighbor filed a municipal complaint stating that I'm harassing her because I called police regarding noise& loud party
Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing answered on May 25, 2021

You have to look at the complaint. Chances are it says more. You need to respond to the complaint.

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts and Arbitration / Mediation Law for Arizona on
Q: Will a verbal contact be honored in the event of one party's death or incapacitation?

The short version:

My boyfriend financed a car for me. We had a verbal agreement that the car would be mine as long as I paid all payments, expenses, and down payment. It is 30 months later and I have never missed or been late for a payment and I have payed ALL related expenses.... Read more »

Marcos Garciaacosta
Marcos Garciaacosta answered on May 19, 2021

Yes it can.

If you can make sure it is in writing or recognized as such.

It would be better if the car is in your name and all payments came from you, from your checking account or transfers so that you have proof.

It may cost you to enforce the contract.

1 Answer | Asked in Employment Law, Arbitration / Mediation Law, Business Law and Civil Litigation for Virginia on
Q: SB123/HB838,Va,1,Exec.VP co hq in fl.offense,jury trial in Va.settlement offer.terms were prejudiced.

Company offered a one sided settlement agreement. I can't honor terms due to active Anti-Retaliation Unit NCIT Certified Investigator Virginia doing his due diligence. I have ADA OWBPA ADEA eligible concerns/pandemic restrictions. Jury trial set for 07/22/2021.I am a registered corporate... Read more »

F. Paul Maloof
F. Paul Maloof answered on May 17, 2021

I regret that I do not handle employment law matters. Sorry.

Q: Good Afternoon, Recently got denied a fireworks license renewal. Been there since 2012.

Need to be open asap. Looking for a lawyer familiar with the NFPA 1124 and With the Michigan and the Bureau of Fire Services

Michael Zamzow
Michael Zamzow answered on May 5, 2021

Contact an attorney about this.

2 Answers | Asked in Arbitration / Mediation Law for New York on
Q: I am going to arbitration and some legal advise.
David H. Relkin
David H. Relkin answered on May 5, 2021

I have handled more than 100 Arbitrations. Please call me at 212-244-8722. David H. Relkin, Esq

View More Answers

Q: my car caught fire today at my workplace, I believe it was an electrical fire due to a recall on the 2017 NissnSen
Tristan Blain Morrison
Tristan Blain Morrison answered on Apr 28, 2021

I'm sorry to hear about your car. If you were injured while working, then you have a workers' compensation claim. If the injury was serious, you should speak with a lawyer to bring your claim immediately. If you were not working, but you were seriously injured, then you will need a... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Employment Law, Arbitration / Mediation Law and Employment Discrimination for Ohio on
Q: Former employer's HR retaliated against me for reporting racism in the workplace. I later quit and HR denied benefits/UI

HR (and other supervisors) refused to do anything about racism in the workplace. They lied about company policy and my ability to resolve the issues on my own. And Later when I quit due to these and other conditions, they denied paying out vacation that I was eligible for and entitled to because... Read more »

Kyle Anderson
Kyle Anderson answered on Apr 28, 2021

Hi, more information is needed here. Complaints about racism in the workplace may be protected under Title VII. I would reach out to an employment law attorney in your state for a consultation.

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce, Family Law and Arbitration / Mediation Law for Colorado on
Q: Can I file contempt if my ex filed a motion without going to mediation first as is required per our divorce decree?

My ex husband filed a motion this week to modify medical decision making of our daughter. Our divorce decree states we must go to mediation prior to filing a motion but he and his attorney skipped this step. Could this be considered contempt?

John Hyland Barrett III
John Hyland Barrett III answered on Apr 26, 2021

I do not think contempt is the right response. You could file a response pointing out the failure to go to mediation. The court is likely to order mediation in any case. You should get a lawyer to help you with this.

Q: Landlord owes us around 10k in repair credits, is dodging the subject, we owe him 6500 (2.5 months arrearages) severely

Harassing us,threatening, & bullying us. He breeched the lease in several areas, was supposed to supply electric to outbuilding, has not, refusing to pay credits when He either refused to do the work or sent his maintenance guy out here to start projects last May, & never returned. When we... Read more »

Morris Leo Greb
Morris Leo Greb answered on Apr 25, 2021

Make an appointment with Legal Aid to determine whether you qualify. Call your County Court House for information about contacting Legal Aid.

1 Answer | Asked in Arbitration / Mediation Law for Connecticut on
Q: If my case manager was in love with me and I dropped her and she is now creating me problems and I have proof What can D
David H. Relkin
David H. Relkin answered on Apr 24, 2021

I can answer your problem with an experience of my own. A Case Manager refused to promptly supply a replacement Arbitrator. He simply became unavailable. Two weeks passed without any responses to my demand that he supply three new names for the parties.

Every Tribunal has an administrative...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Arbitration / Mediation Law and Divorce for Florida on
Q: Live in Florida. Divorced in Florida 2014. My wife filed and didn't put her 401k down. Do I have still rights to it.

I left the house to her and car. 401k was built up while I was paying the mortgage.

She didn't list it on the divorce agree

Rand Scott Lieber
Rand Scott Lieber answered on Apr 16, 2021

You need to look carefully at your marital settlement agreement. If you knew about the 401k when you got divorced then you had an obligation to bring it up. On the other hand, if she hid it from you then you might have a case for fraud. Finally, seven years later is a long time and may be held... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Arbitration / Mediation Law for Ohio on
Q: My brother's wheelchair broke. I discharged him because of Covid concerns. The assisted living threw out his wheelchair.

I was not allowed to enter his building. He was discharged without all his possessions. They do not answer phone calls.

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Apr 16, 2021

An Ohio attorney could advise best, but your question remains open for two weeks. I'm sorry for the ordeal you and your brother experienced. You could consult with a local attorney to review the matter. It does not sound like something that would be handled on a contingency basis, so... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Arbitration / Mediation Law, Estate Planning and Probate for Illinois on
Q: Thank you. I do understand that to be true.... 1 family member however that is wanting to sell, does not want to...

Give up their mineral rights to the land... can they really have the best of both worlds & ultimately screw the other 2 family members.

Charles E. Hutchinson
Charles E. Hutchinson answered on Mar 29, 2021

When it comes to selling and buying, most everything is negotiable. If they are not willing to sell 100% of their share, then the value of that share may be greatly diminished. The remaining plaintiffs could sue in court demanding that the sale include mineral rights, although nothing is... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Arbitration / Mediation Law and Estate Planning for Illinois on
Q: So for the family members that don’t want to sell

Isn’t there any way to stop this?

It has been in our family a very long time & it is not divided up...

this isn’t right - there has to be away to stop it

Charles E. Hutchinson
Charles E. Hutchinson answered on Mar 27, 2021

Those who don't want to sell can buy the fair market value of those who want to sell. Otherwise, there may be language in the will or trust which has provisions regarding the sale of items such as a specific number or % of beneficiaries required to sell assets.

2 Answers | Asked in Arbitration / Mediation Law, Real Estate Law and Estate Planning for Illinois on
Q: Inherited undivided interest in a large amount of land, that has mineral rights. Can one of the family members force the

The other family members to sell the land? This land has been in our family for an extremely long time & some don’t want to sell.

J. Richard Kulerski Esq.
J. Richard Kulerski Esq. answered on Mar 27, 2021

Those who want to sell can file a lawsuit for Partition. They will win. This will give the court the power to sell the property at auction and divide the proceeds among all the owners. An auction sale is not likely to bring in as much money as a regular sale.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law, Arbitration / Mediation Law, Child Custody and Child Support for California on
Q: My partners ex wife is abusive and not doing whats best for their children and attacking mine.. what can I do??

Unsanitary living situation

Child neglected and used as pawns

Threatening texts,phone calls and emails. History in van nuys court house

Maurice Mandel II
Maurice Mandel II answered on Mar 19, 2021

You can certainly get a restraining order against her as to your children. Suggest you consult with a local family law attorney ASAP.

Justia disclaimers below, incorporated herein.

1 Answer | Asked in Arbitration / Mediation Law, Child Custody, Child Support and Family Law for California on
Q: What happens if a mediator sends your documents of your visitation custody agreements to a third party, someone’s email

Someone received the email and notified me that they got sent my private documents

Maurice Mandel II
Maurice Mandel II answered on Mar 19, 2021

Possible violation of your right of privacy by the mediator. Court appointed mediator? You need to report this to the Court it is a big deal.

Justia disclaimers below, incorporated herein.

1 Answer | Asked in Arbitration / Mediation Law and Medical Malpractice for California on
Q: Why do lawyers not take medical arbitration, unless there is complete paralysis or loss of limb.

Is there a amount that is minimum for lawyers to break even on a case.

Gerald Barry Dorfman
Gerald Barry Dorfman answered on Mar 19, 2021

The short answer is that the medical industry convinced the Legislature to pass laws stacking the deck in the industry's favor and against patients and their attorneys. Even without special laws, these types of cases require a great deal of time and financial investment. Virtually 100%... Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.