Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Arkansas Juvenile Law Questions & Answers
2 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law, Family Law, Child Custody and Juvenile Law for Arkansas on
Q: Can a Grandparent keep their grandchild from her mother without a court order?

My 21 year old daughter has a 7 month old baby. My daughter has been battling with drug addiction on and off for about 5 yrs. Recently she dropped her baby off at her fathers house to stay for a few days. When she returned to pick her baby up her father refused to let her have her baby. He says he... Read more »

Josh A. Eason
Josh A. Eason answered on Oct 7, 2020

If your daughter was never married to the father and he has never been adjudicated the father by the Court then no. However, he can petition the court for paternity and custody. The father can also file an ex parte emergency custody petition with his paternity action to get immediate custody if the... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law, Child Custody and Juvenile Law for Arkansas on
Q: who is a good attorney who will fight a CPS/ DHS case in AR

I need an attorney who will fight for me against DHS I have the worst case workers possible. I have a good case and I have several recordings and proof is there anyone who will take dhs on? I have an ajudication heraring coming up. AT the probable cause hearing they gave me my children back but the... Read more »

John Butler
John Butler answered on Jul 1, 2020

I would be happy to set you up a free consultation with our attorney who specializes in DHS cases. Feel free to reach out through my profile or give us a call.

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law and Juvenile Law for Arkansas on
Q: What petition should I use to transfer guardianship back to me if the guardian agrees?

Guardianship since 2012. . Grandma is not opposed. Say I just need to draft and file proper paperwork. I'm in Arkansas and not sure what to file

Dustin A. Duke
Dustin A. Duke answered on Oct 19, 2019

If the guardianship is here in Arkansas, and if you are a parent of the child, you would need to file a petition to terminate the guardianship. If you need assistance or have further questions, feel free to contact me.

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law and Juvenile Law for Arkansas on
Q: When a judge signs a continuance does it have to be signed. The day she continues to next court

The judge signed continuance a month after the contiunance was ordered

Stewart Whaley
Stewart Whaley answered on Jul 6, 2019

Judges often sign paper/electronic orders well after they are filed or stated in court. It is not uncommon and generally not going to impact the case.

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights, Criminal Law, Constitutional Law and Juvenile Law for Arkansas on
Q: A 17 year old, completely finished with high school, can not be questioned by police without parental permission in AR?

A off duty police officer set up a meeting with my niece to talk to her. she stopped her the day before. The officer was intimate with by niece boyfriend and thought my niece knew about the relationship. My niece didn't know anything. The traffic stop was full of open threats from the officer... Read more »

Gary Kollin
Gary Kollin answered on Jun 30, 2019

There is no way a comprehensive answer can be provided here.

You need to retain counsel

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Federal Crimes, White Collar Crime and Juvenile Law for Arkansas on
Q: Can a 17 year old with no prior criminal background be sent to prison?

House robbery

Stewart Whaley
Stewart Whaley answered on Apr 14, 2018

Yes, depending on the crime. Juveniles can no longer be sentenced to life without parole in Arkansas. They can still be sent to prison. Having no criminal background helps when negotiating a plea without prison time, if you go to trial and during sentencing, if convicted

1 Answer | Asked in Adoption, Family Law and Juvenile Law for Arkansas on
Q: If I'm 16 and pregant I'll be 17 before i have the baby. Could my mom make me give my baby away?
James E Hensley Jr
James E Hensley Jr answered on Aug 9, 2017

No. It is your baby. If you are unable to care for the child, you may need some help. Help is available from many sources; i.e., church, father of the child, family members, etc. Your mother could get a guardianship over the child if you are unable to care for the child. Caring for the child... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law, Child Custody and Juvenile Law for Arkansas on
Q: I'm gonna be 17 in Oct.Can I move out without emancipation or parent permission from AR to MO with other family members?

I'm 16 turning 17 in October and I want to move in with my other family members (Dad or sister or brother) when I turn 17 without parent permission or emancipation from Arkansas to Missouri. My older sister or brother would come pick me up from Arkansas, but I don' want to get them in... Read more »

Stefan K. McBride
Stefan K. McBride answered on Jun 5, 2017

Unless you are emancipated or have your parent's consent, you cannot move out of the house.

1 Answer | Asked in DUI / DWI and Juvenile Law for Arkansas on
Q: Is it illegal for a minor in Arkansas to possess an empty wine bottle that is completely devoid of alcohol?

I am a college student and I am appealing a sanction put on me because I currently have a wine bottle filled with Christmas lights that I received as a gift. The violation is a "Violation of the Alcohol Policy." I reviewed the Student Handbook for my university and there are only two... Read more »

W. Whitfield Hyman
W. Whitfield Hyman answered on Apr 19, 2017

It is not against the law to have the bottle. If they still find you guilty you can possibly sue under the administrative procedures act if their decision to punish you was arbitrary and capricious.

They might have entered your dorm room illegally in violation of the 4th Amendment even if...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Constitutional Law, Criminal Law, Education Law and Juvenile Law for Arkansas on
Q: Do the parents of the minor have to be present when the minor makes a verbal /written statement to school & local police
Kevin Shields
Kevin Shields answered on Apr 6, 2017

Parents need not be present while school officials are asking questions of a student in most cases. However, if the questioning was by the police or your child was in police custody, constitutional protections may be triggered. You may want to consult a local criminal lawyer about the specific... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law, Civil Rights and Juvenile Law for Arkansas on
Q: If I'm 17, but finished with HS completely, can I move out of my dads house without him trying to label me as a runaway?
Stefan K. McBride
Stefan K. McBride answered on Apr 5, 2017

You cannot move out until you are 18 without your parent's consent.

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law, Appeals / Appellate Law, Child Custody and Juvenile Law for Arkansas on
Q: First appearance in fins court i tested positive.. and my children was removed by DHS is that illegal?

My daughter had fins filled on her for trudacy but there was no trudacy her teacher had quit and keep her doctors notes instead of turning them in. She will not make it to 10 grade. Because of this. But I lost custody of my children for the failing of one test.

Stefan K. McBride
Stefan K. McBride answered on Mar 28, 2017

Even if they've been removed, the DHS goal is almost certainly reunification with you. You'll just need to pass some drug tests.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Juvenile Law for Arkansas on
Q: Can you have a fine for loitering?
Degen Clow
Degen Clow answered on Mar 18, 2017

Yes, it is a criminal offence.

1 Answer | Asked in Personal Injury, Banking and Juvenile Law for Arkansas on
Q: I have a blocked savings account and I wanna know when I'm gonna be able to touch my money?

My mom died when I was five and I've got money ever since. I got money out before but I my dad had to go through the court to get it approved. I'm just wondering when I'm able to touch it fully.

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing answered on Nov 21, 2016

Depends on the terms of the court order setting up the account. Some pay it out when the person is 21 or 25 or 30 so they won't blow the money on a car or other things.

1 Answer | Asked in Juvenile Law and Criminal Law for Arkansas on
Q: If a 18 year old beats up a 17 yr old for being rude and the 17 yr old does NOT swing first can he (17) press charges?

The 17 year old doesn't fight back either.

Degen Clow
Degen Clow answered on Apr 29, 2016

Only the state can pursue charges. It will be up to the prosecutor's office as to whether or not charges will be pursued.

1 Answer | Asked in Juvenile Law for Arkansas on
Q: If a child is detained in Arkansas for curfew violation, does the child haft to read their Miranda Rights?
Terrence H Thorgaard
Terrence H Thorgaard answered on Oct 23, 2015

Probably not. Was the child asked any questions? Did the child say anything incriminating?

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.