Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
California Arbitration / Mediation Law Questions & Answers
Q: Do i have to pay $180 charge for a toilet snake my Apt's Maintenance charged me for a toilet paper tube accidently flush

Toilet seat sits 1ft from the dispenser - toilet paper tube accidently fell into toilet when pulling off empty roll and subsequently got flushed. Caused slow flush to happen but not a full clog.

Manuel Alzamora Juarez
Manuel Alzamora Juarez answered on Feb 26, 2020

If I were you, I would go ahead and pay it with a thank you note to the management. The last time I had a snake job done in my house cost me $1,200.00 and until today, have problems with the pipes. Best of luck!

Q: Can a federal law enforcement officer swear to the personal knowledge and observations of another lawenforcement officer

Meaning would this be in violation of the federal rules of evidence rule 803 (8)(c)? Note that I'm speaking of a written affidavit as the basis for probable cause to file a complaint in a district court for purposes of a later INDICTMENT. Is this legal?

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Feb 21, 2020

If this did not involve a marine incident resulting in vessel boarding by U.S. Coast Guard and Department of Justice personnel following a grounding, cargo spill, fuel oil spill, allision, injury, or other marine casualty requiring completion of a form CG-2692 for incident reporting or drug testing... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Arbitration / Mediation Law for California on
Q: My homeowners association sued me and my wife and there was a trial. Now we want to counter sue them for their actions

In California can I sue my association for selective enforcement among other violations?

George W. Wolff Esq.
George W. Wolff Esq. answered on Dec 26, 2019

What happened to their lawsuit?

Did you win or lose?

2 Answers | Asked in Arbitration / Mediation Law and Consumer Law for California on
Q: Who pays for arbritation filed by myself as a consumer regarding a dispute. I did submit a fee waiver.

Will i be going up against corporate lawyers? I dont have a lawyer. But after several attemps to resolve the issue. I finally resorted to arbritation.

Scott Richard Kaufman
Scott Richard Kaufman answered on Oct 16, 2019

Contact the arbitration provider and read their rules.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Arbitration / Mediation Law and Elder Law for California on
Q: We have evidence of elder financial abuse, self dealing, and perjury. What can we do?

This person, manipulated her father along with her husband, became POA, Caregiver and Trust executor. Self dealing, controlled all assists, withheld family from seeing their father.

Steve A. Buchwalter
Steve A. Buchwalter answered on Sep 15, 2019

I think you're in California. I would think you'd want to contact the Department of Adult Protective Services. There should be at least one office in each county. Then you should talk to a lawyer.

Q: Awarded full year of back pay from my job over a year & a half ago and still get no answers or explanation.

if there anything I can do to make them honor my Arbitration award for my back pay? They've done others since I've started my process also, but mines for some reason is in limbo.

Neil Pedersen
Neil Pedersen answered on Aug 23, 2019

An arbitration award does not, by itself, mean you get paid if the employer does not voluntarily pay it. You have to take that award and enter it as a judgment in the Superior Court, and then start efforts to collect that judgment. This takes time and money. It would be wise for you to locate an... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Arbitration / Mediation Law, Criminal Law and Real Estate Law for California on
Q: unfair mediation result. I was suing for quiet title ,my broker comitted title fraud.

Judge at a pretrial mediation said I would lose in court. I felt under duress to sign a mediation agreement and was pressuered by my lawyer as well. My settlement after deductions was only 110,000$ my house was woth 3.4 million.can I counter sue ?

Dale S. Gribow
Dale S. Gribow answered on May 29, 2019




2 Answers | Asked in Arbitration / Mediation Law and Contracts for California on
Q: May a person sue a contractor in California court after his case goes through binding arbitration?

The California Contractor State Licensing Board (CSLB) arranged for the arbitration. My understanding is that the CSLB arbitration only covers violations of the California Business and Professions Code, such as poor workmanship, abandoning the project, and damage to property. If the... Read more »

Bruce Alexander Minnick
Bruce Alexander Minnick answered on Apr 25, 2019

Probably not--unless you specifically preserved those issues on the record at the arbitration. And even then it may not be possible in California.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Arbitration / Mediation Law, Civil Litigation and Insurance Bad Faith for California on
Q: I filed for a default judgement and was denied now it says demurrer motion to strike (twice) on minutes

I filed for default judgement the judgement was denied but the default was entered now on the minutes it says demurrer motion to strike is that from the defendents since it's on there twice what do I do still turn the new judgement or now fight the demurrer motion to strike how could they... Read more »

William John Light
William John Light answered on Mar 23, 2019

If the Default was entered, the Defendants couldn't file a Demurrer/Motion to Strike. I doubt that the Default was entered. You will probably need to Oppose the Demurrer/Motion to Strike.

1 Answer | Asked in Arbitration / Mediation Law for California on
Q: Ownership dispute with previous roommate

I adopted a dog with a roommate, my name was on the adoption papers and I paid the fees up front. We have split everything since then, food toys ect. When she moved out, she took the dog with her without my permission. I have been in contact with her about setting up a schedule so we can both spend... Read more »

Thomas A. Grossman
Thomas A. Grossman answered on Jan 12, 2019

Most people become very attached to their pets. Since you paid the fees and "adopted" the dog, you should have some rights to at least visit the dog. It would be easier to work out a solution if both of you could come up with a plan for sharing the dog. If she absolutely refuses to let... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law, Arbitration / Mediation Law and Child Custody for California on
Q: Is it possible to have my case be transfered from one court house to another court house in the same county
Ali Shahrestani, Esq.
Ali Shahrestani, Esq. answered on Jan 2, 2019

A change of venue is requested via a Motion, and you would have to show good cause for that request. More details are necessary to provide a professional analysis of your issue. The best first step is an Initial Consultation with an Attorney such as myself. You can read more about me, my... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Estate Planning, Family Law, Real Estate Law and Arbitration / Mediation Law for California on
Q: My father passed a few years back and left no will behind. What kind of lawyer do I speak to about putting my siblings

own as owners. Not that his daughter from his 2nd marriage has been taken in payments from renting the house out. She sent a letter to my current address stating that my siblings agreed to give the house which was a false fact since we had no contact with her. What type of lawyer do I contact?

Genene N. Dunn
Genene N. Dunn answered on Nov 29, 2018

You need a probate or trust administration attorney. If there was no will, then the law says who will get the house and it will have to go through the probate court process to be transferred. It depends on how he held title to the property as well and if someone else was on title with him.

3 Answers | Asked in Arbitration / Mediation Law for California on
Q: If the person doesn't pay the amount decided in arbitration, do we go back to arbitration, or sue in court?
Thomas A. Grossman
Thomas A. Grossman answered on Nov 23, 2018

I would first threaten to file a lawsuit. If that doesn't work, you can sue them for the money. If the sum is $10,000 or less you can sue them in small claims court. If the sum owed is less that 25,000 you can sue them in Superior Court as a Limited Action. If more than $25,000, you must... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Arbitration / Mediation Law for California on
Q: What's the law now in California about an employer forcing you into arbitration?
N. Munro Merrick
N. Munro Merrick answered on Oct 31, 2018

You need to explain what you mean by "forcing". If you signed a contract with that provision as a condition of being hired, you are probably bound to abide by your contract. Before fighting the provision, I suggest you think about it. Might be a good idea to consult an attorney on the... Read more »

3 Answers | Asked in Arbitration / Mediation Law for California on
Q: Is there a time limit on mediations in California, or can they go on forever if the parties disagree on everything?
N. Munro Merrick
N. Munro Merrick answered on Oct 1, 2018

If this is a private mediation, outside the court system, the mediator should declare the mediation unsuccessful and give you a report to that effect. If there is a contract, it should specify the next step, usually arbitration. If no contract, you could file a suit in court.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts, Traffic Tickets, Arbitration / Mediation Law and Civil Rights for California on
Q: Is Uber allowed to pay my airport citations and then charge me four months later with no right to contest?

Uber has a deal with Airport security that all violation tickets go to Uber and Uber pays them and bills the drivers four months later. They do not even give us a written ticket.They just write our plate number and violation and send the ticket without our knowledge. If Uber pays the ticket is that... Read more »

Gary Kollin
Gary Kollin answered on Sep 16, 2018

First thing you do is read your contract

2 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law, Arbitration / Mediation Law, Civil Rights and Federal Crimes for California on
Q: Two Liberals In A Squad Car Arrest 11370 1 a Counsel ? Lakewood Ca Mich Wane 562 450 3969
Dale S. Gribow
Dale S. Gribow answered on Sep 6, 2018

more info needed.

what is the question?

how much involved? past record?

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Real Estate Law, Arbitration / Mediation Law and Landlord - Tenant for California on
Q: I have moved into an apartment that on the day I moved in was not up to California building code. It has been over a...

A month and nothing has been done about windows that won’t close let alone lock. The property management company has not lived up to its contractual obligations and I’m wondering how serious this is and what I can ask for in return to be made whole?

N. Munro Merrick
N. Munro Merrick answered on Aug 28, 2018

Your premises are not habitable! However, did you inspect before you paid? If not, you can certainly notify the landlord to fix it or you are gone. What can you ask for? Habitable premises. You cannot ask for free rent if that is what you are thinking. If you stay you are accepting the... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Employment Law and Arbitration / Mediation Law for California on
Q: I recently settled in a mediation before going to arbitration , when should I expect a payment? I'm in California

This was through SEIU local 250 union, in the agreement they put no information on when I will receive my settlement money. Are there any laws on statue of limitations?

N. Munro Merrick
N. Munro Merrick answered on Aug 28, 2018

You mention, "Settlement money." So you reached a settlement in mediation? If you did, there would be no arbitration. A general rule about such things is, within a reasonable time. And barring any other factors, 30 days is par for "reasonable." If you do not, ask the mediator.

1 Answer | Asked in Arbitration / Mediation Law for California on
Q: What happens if I have evidence that our divorce mediator was not a neutral third party?
Thomas A. Grossman
Thomas A. Grossman answered on Aug 24, 2018

Unless the Mediation ended in a settlement, you can walk away from the mediation, and seek another Mediator or Mediation.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.