Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
California Gov & Administrative Law Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Civil Rights, Constitutional Law and Gov & Administrative Law for California on
Q: I was arrested for having bear spray, which is legal for felons to posses due to it being labeled as a pesticide.

Because of the arrest, police in another city who were investigating an unknown person who pepper sprayed 3 people started looking at me as a suspect and eventually arrested me weeks later.

Here is my q:

Because I was falsely arrested and since the false arrest itself caused my... Read more »

Dale S. Gribow
Dale S. Gribow answered on Mar 26, 2022

More info is needed.

Ask your atty/pD who will have a police report.

If you talked to police it abounds like you waived your rights.

3 Answers | Asked in Personal Injury, Car Accidents and Gov & Administrative Law for California on
Q: Are there any precautions against releasing LA METRO from liability when they are obviously at fault?

My insurance has determined that I was not at-fault, so it won't affect my insurance rates. The other insurance company has offered to pay for all damages but denies liability, saying they want to avoid a lawsuit. I have to sign to release them of liability before receiving the final one-time... Read more »

Patrick William Steinfeld
Patrick William Steinfeld answered on Mar 24, 2022

A Release is simply a contract. You agree to release the other party in consideration of them paying you for your damages. LA Metro denies liability which is standard. A Release is a full and final release of ALL claims... past, present and future. You don't get 2-bites of the apple. You will... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Gov & Administrative Law and Tax Law for California on
Q: I do consulting & engineering as a contractor. Can I open an S-corp. in a different state than the one I operate it?

I'll be working from a home office, based in California. Would like to incorporate in Florida.

The nature of the job is either consulting to tech. companies or offering engineering services or selling them designs which I make on my own.

Joel F. Murray
Joel F. Murray answered on Feb 13, 2022

Generally, if a foreign corporation (e.g. a different state) is operating/doing business in a different state than the state in which they are incorporated, they register with the state agency that regulates corporations (in California, the Secretary of State) as a foreign business entity (e.g. a... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Civil Rights, Constitutional Law, Criminal Law and Gov & Administrative Law for California on
Q: I am a victim of a crime, and the detective threatened me. What actions should I take?

I asked simple questions about how to get property back and a list of the property they took from my residence. He yelled at me, told me he didn't have to give me anything not even a list, told me I'll never get the property back, and that he could search my other properties and... Read more »

Will  Morehead
Will Morehead answered on Feb 5, 2022

I would need more information to answer your question with more specificity. In particular, it is not clear from your question if the "they" who took your property is the police or the person(s) who committed a crime against you.

But the detective is incorrect if he said that...
Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Communications Law and Gov & Administrative Law for California on
Q: The 911 Dispatcher told the police I was diagnosed as Paranoid Schizophrenic. I have never been diagnosed with anything.

I have this recorded. I'm going to court on a 422 PC-F and a 136.19(A)(1)F also on the 911 recording. There are more issues at hand but i want to know about this one please!

Dale S. Gribow
Dale S. Gribow answered on Feb 3, 2022

more info is needed

you should wait for the arraignment and ask the court to appoint a public defender for you.

s/he will have ALL the info to intelligently address this.

3 Answers | Asked in DUI / DWI, Civil Rights and Gov & Administrative Law for California on
Q: Got Class A 1st time dui because interlock device can’t renew my class A unless downgrade to class C … Is dmv right ?

DMV claim I can’t renew class A license for another 6 months due to interlock device they gave me 2 options #1 pay cdl renew fees get a car on you name sr22 instal interlock device and dont drive vehicle for six months option # 2 if you want to drive now give up class A and downgrade to class C... Read more »

Louis George Fazzi
Louis George Fazzi answered on Dec 23, 2021

You will need to speak with a lawyer who regularly handles DUI cases and has a lot of experience with them. You will also need to provide a lot more information along with all the documentation you received regarding the citation you received. It is difficult to give good advice in this forum due... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Gov & Administrative Law and Workers' Compensation for California on
Q: I had to fire my workmens comp attorney a few days ago am now without one hearing tomorrow do u know what I should do

Mal practice forced me to let him go so close to my settlement hearing case has been open over 5 years had 2 MRI 2 nerve scans done never got any results back never was giving a primary doc that would except me without the results to my tests I collected workmens comp 2 years with basically no... Read more »

Gary Alan Jackson
Gary Alan Jackson answered on Dec 14, 2021

you should let the judge know that you would like some time to find a new lawyer. a judge will nealry always give you time to find a new attorney as they dont want you to represent your self, unless you have done this several times already. it sounds like maybe you just endured a non responsive... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law and Gov & Administrative Law for California on
Q: Im fight a possession of a firearm.i want to file a bond against the court for two reasons one there's a Hobbs motion .

The da before I was arrainged gave a lawyer that I never ended up hiring for this case the discovery which violates the Hobbs motion that a judge has to allow permission and that no file of the case can be spoken of until arraingment.two da lied and tried to add enhancement that I committed a crime... Read more »

Dan Moseley
Dan Moseley answered on Dec 12, 2021

While you may have a defense, you appear to misunderstand the law of criminal procedure. A "Hobbs Motion" for example has to do with the disclosure of the identity of a confidential informant, not the production of documents. And more of an explanation is needed of what you mean by... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights, Criminal Law and Gov & Administrative Law for California on
Q: in board of parole hearings does pro per inmate have right to true audio of hearing for constitutional challenge

commissioner committed double jeopardy retrial; violated ADA protection of substance user with 26 years sober proscribed narcotic pain medication; other-California Penal Code section 132, 134 violation; etc.

audio cassette not contraband and is the official record of all events occurring in hearing

Dan Moseley
Dan Moseley answered on Dec 2, 2021

I often represent inmates at California State parole suitability hearings, but I do not understand what you are asking. Perhaps you can make your inquiry clearer over the phone. You're welcome to give me a call at no charge. Many other attorneys on this website also offer initial... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Bankruptcy, Contracts, Personal Injury and Gov & Administrative Law for California on
Q: Default entered in Turner's favor

Enter default on pacer

Timothy Denison
Timothy Denison answered on Nov 28, 2021

What is your question?

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Gov & Administrative Law and Public Benefits for California on
Q: Can i put ad on money? like put link of my website in 1$ bill. If yes how many of them i can do without any issuese?

Is it legal?

Can i print on money?

will it consider as vandalism if its small and its in the corner?

is it good idea?

Maurice Mandel II
Maurice Mandel II answered on Nov 17, 2021

No, it is not a good idea, it is a bad idea. You would be committing a Federal Crime by defacing currency. You would be investigated by agents from the U.S. Treasury or the Secret Service. The more money you print on the more likely you are to be caught. More people today use electronic... Read more »

4 Answers | Asked in Gov & Administrative Law, Criminal Law, Civil Rights and Constitutional Law for California on
Q: Can a defendent out of custody appearing in pretrial hearing be told "take your hands out of pockets". By court ballif.

He made statement to only the defendent. While Judge is present. Seems like he was treating him like a inmate. Would this be a violation of his right to fair trial.

Dan Moseley
Dan Moseley answered on Nov 10, 2021

It doesn't sound like anything to worry about. Bailiffs like to see that courtroom attendees act respectfully, and some have unique ideas of what that means. I once had a bailiff tell me to take the eyeglasses off the top of my head! Go figure.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation and Gov & Administrative Law for California on
Q: My neighbors and I share a backyard they have 3 dogs, and I have 2. Do we need a kennel license?

The property is a house that has been divided into two separate spaces. Half the house is there's and the other half is mine.

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing answered on Oct 14, 2021

In most locales, no, but check with the local animal officer who enforces animal protection codes. Assuming you aren't breeding. Or call your local Animal shelter or your vet.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Gov & Administrative Law for California on
Q: How to file a law suit against a police dept or officer.

Spd came to my home searching for large amounts drugs .all they found was small personal use and a pipe.however they went in my safe and took a big amount of cash I had just received for stimulus and law suit payment.,when I ask them how do I get my cash back they said.(you become a ci)and get it... Read more »

Dale S. Gribow
Dale S. Gribow answered on Oct 1, 2021

more info is needed

the best advice I could give you is to make an appointment with a local criminal lawyer for a free consultation.

i would have suggested that BEFORE working with the police.

i would also suggest you not discuss things like this on an open forum

Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Employment Law and Gov & Administrative Law for California on
Q: I was terminated today over Microsoft teams

I was terminated today from Telecare where I've worked since 2/2015 as a staff psychiatrist. It was a meeting on Microsoft teams and the Regional Medical Director and one of the Clinic Administrators said I had to sign the documents immediately which they emailed to me, which I electronically... Read more »

Neil Pedersen
Neil Pedersen answered on Oct 1, 2021

Unfortunately you do not ask a question so it is hard to know what you wish to learn. I am not well versed in the administrative licensing process, and you will likely have to reach out to get some specific confidential advice about that process if that is your primary concern.

As an...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation, Contracts, Gov & Administrative Law and Landlord - Tenant for California on
Q: What to do If my old landlord violates/breach of court orderd contract from his obligations to give me good reference

I have multiple recorded violations/breach of contract from x-landlord.I obtain them from homeowners/property managers who were considering me for tendency but was turned down because of my x landlords malicious/false bad referrals which he was court ordered not to give. I'm homeless/living in... Read more »

Jonathon Maddox
Jonathon Maddox answered on Sep 21, 2021

There's several pieces to this. First off, you mention that he was "court-ordered not to give", which would imply there's already been a case and judgment on him in regards to his recorded breaches prior to you moving out? If so, then the discussion would be on your issue... Read more »

Q: I need a lawyer to represent me in a case against the juvenile detention agency in san Diego county
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Sep 20, 2021

A California attorney could advise best, but your post remains open for two weeks. You could continue to await a response here, but it could be difficult for an attorney to reply - this is only a Q & A board. Some options you could consider include looking into sites that do operate as attorney... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Gov & Administrative Law, Public Benefits and Social Security for California on
Q: I will be going before an Administrative Law Judge for Social Security disability benefits. Any clinics around to help?
Elizabeth Fowler Lunn
Elizabeth Fowler Lunn answered on Sep 15, 2021

There may be a local law school with a clinic for disability benefits so you could call around and ask. If you are concerned about not having money to pay a lawyer you don’t need to worry about that. You don’t pay up front and the attorney only gets paid a percentage of your back benefits if... Read more »

View More Answers

Q: I Want to Open Hydrogen Station, I wanted to Know about its Legal Formalities etc. In USA
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Jul 28, 2021

A California attorney could advise best, but your post remains open for four weeks. It could be difficult for any attorney to meaningfully advise on the formalities you ask about in the brief format of this forum. There are many things to consider, whether from an intellectual property standpoint... Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.