Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Collections Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Collections for Texas on
Q: What can a debt collection agency due? How can I get out of it?

So summer 2020 I signed a lease for a college apt. I decided it was a better financial decision for me not to move in and the apartment company refused to cancel the lease since it was a legal document. However I told them weeks before move in me, nor my co applicant (my mom) could afford it. I... Read more »

Teri A. Walter
Teri A. Walter answered on Jun 21, 2021

The landlord has an obligation to try to find a new tenant, and you're not liable after they do. (It's not clear to me what the $4425 represents.) If you owe the money and can't pay, they can sue you and your mother, and get a judgment against you both for the amount due, plus... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Small Claims, Employment Law and Collections for North Carolina on
Q: Can I take legal action to receive the total compensation I should have been paid while working there?

While interviewing for a chain restaurant GM position mid Dec of 2019 I was asked what annual salary I would accept to leave where I was currently employed and work there. I asked for 65,000 and the district Mgr at that time who was interviewing me agreed, but he said they would need to start me at... Read more »

Kirton M. Madison
Kirton M. Madison answered on Jun 16, 2021

Yes. You can take action. You should hurry though because you are running up against the statute of limitations. You should be able to use the documentation and text messages that you already have in your possession. You may take the restaurant to small claims court for the difference in the amount... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Bankruptcy, Consumer Law and Collections for Ohio on
Q: Is it to late to file exemption once the garnishment stops

Sorry I meant start? Also I gave all my income information to the creditors lawyer and they were suppose to call me back to agree on a payment plan and never got back with me once they received my income they just went forward with the garnishment.

Timothy Denison
Timothy Denison answered on Jun 10, 2021


1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Collections and Health Care Law for New Jersey on
Q: During a medical procedure, my doctor sent biopsies to an out-of-network lab. Am I financially responsible?

The doctor could have used Labcore or Quest, both in network labs. However, he sent them to an out of network lab, without my knowledge or permission. Can the lab he sent them to bill me?

Morris Leo Greb
Morris Leo Greb answered on Jun 7, 2021


1 Answer | Asked in Collections for Ohio on
Q: How can I fight an annual subscription to eHarmony that has been passed on to a collection agency?

I had to cancel my debit card associated to the account bc of unrelated fraud. I figured that would cancel my subscription. It did not they auto renewed for a year. Since it didn't get paid they forwarded it to collections.

Matthew Williams
Matthew Williams answered on Jun 7, 2021

Not by admitting you owe the money, which is what it appears you've done. Canceling a debt card does nothing to impair contractual obligations just because the card was given as payment. I would suggest sending the debt collectors a letter asking for proof of the debt. The FDCPA requires them... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Products Liability and Collections for Michigan on
Q: My brother cosigned for a vehicle

He was summons today for the remaining balance of the vehicle. It was sold after repossession at an auction. I am responsible for the debt and I want to take care of it. He has a family and I don't want to create a financial hardship on him. Can I respond to the summons asking the court to... Read more »

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing answered on Jun 1, 2021

He has to respond. He can ask to substitute you, but as you defaulted which is why they are going after him, they may say "naaaah--we want him!"

Now, they may agree to make a payment schedule but before he signs off, is the group coming after him the same people you signed a loan...
Read more »

View More Answers

2 Answers | Asked in Collections for New York on
Q: can a money judgment be enforced after 10 years if not renewed? Can a judgment be renewed after 10 years?
Michael David Siegel
Michael David Siegel answered on May 31, 2021

1. Yes. NY judgments are good for 20 years. 10 years is as a lien on real estate. Yes, it can be renewed.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Collections for California on
Q: Can I sell or donate my car without a title if debt collection is past the statute of limitations in CA?

I would like to dispose of my car (scrap/donate or sell) and I am unsure if that's legal without a title. The loan was closed by Wells Fargo in July of 2016 and sold to debt collectors. It appears that debt collectors can still try to recoup the money, but legally cannot sue me for the... Read more »

Leon Bayer
Leon Bayer answered on May 25, 2021

I do understand the problem. But without clear title you wont be able to do either of those things. You might look into leaving the car parked on the street, and call the city to tow away an abandoned car.

1 Answer | Asked in Collections for North Carolina on
Q: I have been served with a civil summons that needs a written response and im not sure what i am supposed to be writing.
Lynn Ellen Coleman
Lynn Ellen Coleman answered on May 25, 2021

You have to either admit or deny each paragraph of the Complaint. You also need to plead any affirmative defenses that you may have. If you are being sued for a debt, I suggest you speak to an attorney experienced in those matters for specific advice. You may have legal defenses that you are not... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Collections for California on
Q: I'm owed $125,000 the customers received $2 million in ppp money the building is owned by holding co

can these be attached

Leon Bayer
Leon Bayer answered on May 24, 2021

The best answer a lawyer can give you for the time being, (without the opportunity to discuss the case at length with you and to see relevant document), is going to have to be, "I hope so."

If you sue, you may be able to obtain attachment orders against the various assets by...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts, Civil Litigation, Collections and Health Care Law for Maryland on
Q: I'm being sued by a doctor who did my surgery 3 years ago.

Three years ago I had my gallbladder removed. At the time I had only recently been approved for Medicaid, but didn't have an insurance card or anything like that. A couple of weeks later I got my insurance card in the mail. So, I brought it into the hospital and explained to them how I had not... Read more »

Mark Oakley
Mark Oakley answered on May 23, 2021

You have two issues: (1) whether you were covered by Medicaid at the time of the surgery, and if so, whether you provided your Medicaid information and met the conditions of coverage--and the doctor submitted their request for payment--within the time frames required; and (2) whether the doctor... Read more »

3 Answers | Asked in Bankruptcy, Contracts, Civil Litigation and Collections for California on
Q: Can I sue for monetary compensation?

I cosigned a car loan for a friend. He defaulted the car loan and the bank handed the loan to a collection agency. I had to declare bankruptcy which destroyed my once stellar credit score. As a result I'm strained financially and am still recovering my credit score. I am unable to get any... Read more »

Tristan Brown
Tristan Brown answered on May 22, 2021

In general, a co-signor agrees to share liability for a debt with the co-debtor. A default by a co-debtor is often considered a default by the co-signor as well.

Did your friend use your information to apply for the loan without your consent? Did you willingly co-sign for your friend?...
Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Contracts and Collections for North Carolina on
Q: Can I file a satisfaction of judgement. Paid amount in full about a month ago and have written notice without response?
Lynn Ellen Coleman
Lynn Ellen Coleman answered on May 17, 2021

Only the creditor can file a Notice of Satisfaction of Judgment. If you sent your demand for them to notify the Court about the payment of judgment in writing, and you have proof of receipt of your written demand, and they have not filed it, contact an experienced consumer law attorney. You need to... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Collections, Legal Malpractice and Small Claims for Washington on
Q: A random lawyer sued me for debt that wasn’t mine and I thought it was a scam but I now owe him. Isn’t this illegal?

My fiancé got handed a random court case with my name on it stating I owed debt to places I’ve never been to or had accounts with so I thought it was a scam, but I just got another set of papers in the mail that state I now owe money to this lawyer for the debt and I don’t understand how this... Read more »

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on May 16, 2021

A Washington attorney could advise best, but your question remains open for two weeks, and those court papers your fiancé was handed could have relatively short deadlines by which a response is due. There could be a number of reasons for the court case, one being that someone made fraudulent... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Collections for Michigan on
Q: Is child support exempt from being taken by a debt collector if they freeze your bank account?

I only had unemployment and child support in my bank account when the debt collector put a hold on my account. Are they are to take the funds?

Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers answered on May 14, 2021

I'm not entirely sure, but the burden will be on you to convince a court that those funds are protected from seizure. That is a difficult argument to make when multiple funds are commingled into one account and then seized.

2 Answers | Asked in Divorce, Family Law and Collections for Colorado on
Q: How to get my name off a car I cosigned on.

I cosigned for an ex partner, the relationship was abusive and I no longer have any contact with her at all. She has since missed 23 payments on that car and is still affecting my life. How do I go about getting my name off of the car and not hurting my credit anymore than it is already hurt?

Sabra M. Janko
Sabra M. Janko answered on May 11, 2021

If you are married, you can file for dissolution and property settlement. If not, when you co-signed, you agreed to pay if she did not. Absent her consent to refinance in her own name, you are legally obligated to pay if she does not.

View More Answers

2 Answers | Asked in Collections for North Carolina on
Q: The lien was released via debt cancelation, per the statute of limitations. Are they required to satisfy the judgement?

The judgment expires this October. The bank rep says they have the options of: 1)allowing the judgement to expire 2)extending the judgement for an additional 10 years and/or 3)requiring some type of payment to satisfy the judgement. She says they are not required to satisfy the judgement unless... Read more »

Lynn Ellen Coleman
Lynn Ellen Coleman answered on May 11, 2021

If you made no payments but received a Form 1099C cancellation of debt, your Judgment was not "satisfied" or "resolved" or "paid off". They can still legally collect on it even though on their books they deemed it "uncollectible" and wrote it off of their... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Real Estate Law and Collections for North Carolina on
Q: Does a judgment HAVE to remain in court records for 10 years in NC?

I had a lien on my property associated with a judgment. The lien was satisfied but the judgment remains in the court records. It expires in 5 months. Is there any way to have it removed immediately, or does it have to expire. The creditor said they will NOT extend the judgement.

Lynn Ellen Coleman
Lynn Ellen Coleman answered on May 10, 2021

If you paid the judgment directly to the creditor, send them a letter (use certified mail or priority mail so you have proof of delivery and save a copy of your letter) demanding that they advise the Clerk of Court about the payments you made and advise the Clerk that the judgment is fully... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Child Custody and Collections for Michigan on
Q: If child haven't lived in Michigan for four years yet still charging me cs should I be paying this. Now Rack up I'm scr

Now I'm threaten with jail time.

I'm unemployed unable to collect covid unemployment so I'm screwed

Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers answered on May 10, 2021

The child living in Michigan has nothing to do with your child support obligation. You are ordered to pay a certain amount unless modified legally. Once arrearages accrue, they don't go away.

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation, Collections and Small Claims for Michigan on
Q: I won a small claims judgment, for 6096.00 in Inkster MI, against a apartment management corp, but unable to collect.

I have garnished their bank account … it was $1.11 in it. Then I had a court order for the Wayne county sheriff seize property but this has not been successful either. How can I collect my judgment from someone or entity that refuses to cooperate?

Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers answered on May 10, 2021

You've asked the $64,000 question. You may have what can be called a judgment proof debtor. You have right now a piece of paper saying someone legally owes you money; that paper is just - a piece of paper - unless and until you can legally collect.

All you can really do is keep trying...
Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.