Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Colorado Identity Theft Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Identity Theft for Colorado on
Q: How can I find out if charges were filed and who it was?

The ID was released from evidence to me, and the letter has a case number but not one I recognize as usually they'd have the year and the classification (cr, m. T etcc) and this doesn't and the letter also has a cfs number no citation number and I've looked it up and havent found anything.

Sean Maye
Sean Maye answered on Dec 15, 2020

An attorney can help look that up for you by name, date of birth and other case information.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Identity Theft for Colorado on
Q: If someone stole my ID and got arrested with it dont the authorities have to notify me ?

The cops sent a letter I had evidence being released it turns out it was an expired temp DL already stamped with a hole that I hadn't even known someone stole from my house or when or who. Dont the authorities have to notify me and furthermore let me in on who had it?

Sean Maye
Sean Maye answered on Dec 14, 2020

If criminal charges were filed against the person who stole your ID, then the Victim Rights Act of CO would theoretically require that a DA or law enforcement consult you before any personal orders or dispositions on that case are entered. I don't know that this applies to your scenario, but... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Identity Theft for Colorado on
Q: I'm curious on how much jail time I could be facing as a first offender on a truancy,identity theft charge,tresspassing

And a child abuse charge with no bodily injury

Sean Maye
Sean Maye answered on Nov 30, 2020

Pursuant to CO statute 13-5-145, there is a general understanding that "imposing a sentence of detention on a juvenile who violates a court order to attend school does not improve the likelihood that the juvenile will attend school and does not address the underlying causes of the... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Divorce, Family Law and Identity Theft for Colorado on
Q: i do not know what type of case this is: divorce with credit cards taken out in my name without my consent
Sabra M. Janko
Sabra M. Janko answered on May 5, 2020

I am sorry to hear about your situation. If credit cards were procured under your name without your consent, that is a criminal matter.

2 Answers | Asked in Identity Theft, Family Law, Domestic Violence and Social Security for Colorado on
Q: my father emotionally abuses me and my mother, I don't live at home is it possible to get a protective order?

my father is still my legal guardian

he has pointed a gun at me before

he has beaten my mother in front of me

I am terrified of him

he is diagnosed with anti social personality disorder (he's a sociopath)

he refuses to give me my legal documents SSA, Birth certificate, ID ect.

John Hyland Barrett III
John Hyland Barrett III answered on Mar 4, 2020

If you are an adult (age 18), you can get a protection order based on these facts. If you are a minor, your mother can get a protection order for her and you. You or your mother should get a lawyer to help you with this.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation, Federal Crimes and Identity Theft for Colorado on
Q: A friend of mine is on the verge of having to serve a 5 year federal BOP sentence. She needs an injunction against those

She requires a civil injunction against those who seek to deprive her of her property while she is away. She is a New Mexico resident. She owns Harleys... Trucks... A home...etc... Her plea bargain is on the docket for July 11th, 2019. And she has already found that her motorcycles have had their... Read more »

Gary Kollin
Gary Kollin answered on Jul 5, 2019

If she owns that much property, she can afford to retain counsel.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Communications Law, Identity Theft and Sexual Harassment for Colorado on
Q: is it illegal to hack someone's facebook and email and change their passwords?

My boyfriend was on a phone plan with his friend, and she and him got in a fight, so he gave her the phone back, in attempt to cut ties with her, and he forgot to log out of his facebook app and email app on the phone. she has now gone on the phone and changed both of those passwords so that he has... Read more »

Tristan Kenyon Schultz
Tristan Kenyon Schultz answered on Jan 11, 2017

Simply changing passwords is likely not illegal. If information contained is used to impersonate and individual, this may be illegal. Note, changing the passwords or generally "hacking" of accounts by an unauthorized third-party is a clear violation of both Facebook and every email... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Employment Law and Identity Theft for Colorado on
Q: Old employer sent out a W2 with my ssn visible from the envelope window. Is there any action I can take against them?

It could result in future identity theft, as this was an unauthorized "publication" and I'm both concerned and upset.

Tristan Kenyon Schultz
Tristan Kenyon Schultz answered on Jan 28, 2016

Without evidence of actual or imminent harm you will have difficulty proving your case. If you are willing to prepay several thousand dollars, you should be able to find a lawyer willing to take your case. Whether the case will survive a summary judgment motion is another issue...

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.