Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Colorado International Law Questions & Answers
2 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law, Constitutional Law and International Law for Colorado on
Q: Is it possible to get a case tossed out on procedural grounds without needing to post bond or show up personally?

Long story short, I recently had my passport revoked while abroad due to a state felony arrest warrant being issued for me about 8 years ago. During my time abroad, I have filled my US taxes every year, voted in every election (same district that has filled the charges), been registered in the... Read more »

David Luther Woodward
David Luther Woodward
answered on Dec 30, 2020

You have a tricky situation:

I would approach it this way. I would contact a very good criminal lawyer in the jurisdiction where the criminal action is lodged and abide his advice. If your theory (or any theory) is correct, then you can attack the passport problem once you have your...
Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in International Law and Tax Law for Colorado on
Q: Do international companies located outside the USA have to pay Sales tax in colorado for goods purchased.

Company is not located in USA. Another company office is used as delivery. All vendor invoices are invoiced to the international entity. Do we have to pay the Vendor Colorado Sales tax?

Richard Sternberg
Richard Sternberg
answered on Oct 6, 2018

Unlike VAT, sales tax is paid by the vendor at point of sale. So, if the purchase was in Colorado, the vendor must report and pay sales tax on the sale unless there is an exemption under state law. Such exemptions often exist for non-profit charitable entities with § 501(c) status, but the... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce and International Law for Colorado on
Q: Living overseas for 11 years. Married in Thailand. Can my wife claim rights to property in Colorado?

Thai law dictates that we split all assets accrued after marriage 50/50. Assets owned prior to marriage are said to be personal property and left out of this calculation. However, I have two houses in Colorado. Can my wife claim access to these properties as well? We are currently living in... Read more »

Tristan Kenyon Schultz
Tristan Kenyon Schultz
answered on Apr 1, 2017

Potentially, yes. If you were married when the homes were purchased, they are automatically included in the marital estate in CO. If they were purchased prior to the marriage, the appreciation (and potentially the whole property) would be included in the marital estate. Note, the Thai property... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Family Law, Child Custody, Child Support and International Law for Colorado on
Q: What are my options

What can I do?

My husband is in the UAE. We have a house in Florida. Me and our 2 kids have been living in Colorado for almost 2 years. He refuses to pay child support and our kids and I have gone through a major life style adjustment. He said in an email that if agree to his terms, which... Read more »

Tristan Kenyon Schultz
Tristan Kenyon Schultz
answered on Jan 18, 2017

Family law is exclusively state law. There is limited international enforcement of custody, kidnapping, and other matters, but these are very rarely utilized. You can seek a court order in Colorado which can establish support if you ex ever re-enters the US or is a US citizen/resident. However, if... Read more »

View More Answers

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.