Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Colorado Land Use & Zoning Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Land Use & Zoning, Landlord - Tenant and Real Estate Law for Colorado on
Q: In Colorado, is it legal for a landlord to use hidden cameras to capture me, the tenant, without my knowledge?

This landlord is a business owner and shared the space with me. In my lease it states that I was not to smoke anything indoors. I am a cigarette smoker of about 15 years now. I do NOT smoke inside because it sticks in everything and absolutely will not. I do not throw my butts on the ground because... Read more »

Tristan Kenyon Schultz
Tristan Kenyon Schultz answered on Nov 8, 2016

Without seeing the area I cannot say for certain, but you likely have no reasonable expectation of privacy in a public or outside area. There is nothing improper or illegal in filming a public space. As for private property, the answer gets a little more complicated. Unless the filming is in a... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Animal / Dog Law, Real Estate Law and Land Use & Zoning for Colorado on
Q: My neighbor has 2 horses, 5 alpacas and 3 dogs. I do not think her property is zoned for this. What can I do?

Her animals are noisy and smelly. Feces runs into a creek nearby. Dogs bark all through the night.

Tristan Kenyon Schultz
Tristan Kenyon Schultz answered on Oct 15, 2016

Contact the city. A zoning violation is not a civil matter that you can litigate yourself (there are some exceptions).

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Land Use & Zoning and Real Estate Law for Colorado on
Q: Can a residential property have separate owners for the land versus the buildings?

if i have a house in a typical ownership and want to get some of the equity now by selling the land and putting the house into a land lease deal, like in commercial or condo property, can i do that here in Colorado?

Tristan Kenyon Schultz
Tristan Kenyon Schultz answered on Sep 6, 2016

It is possible to alienate parts of a fee simple property in Colorado. What you are proposing is complex and you will need to contact a real estate attorney. Some basic issues are: (1) zoning; (2) financing from a lender (especially difficult if you have an existing mortgage); (3) drafting an... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Foreclosure, Real Estate Law, Tax Law and Land Use & Zoning for Colorado on
Q: Is there anything we can do if we have paid back taxes on a property and have continued to pay to get a deed?

We have a property that my wife's parents bought and started building a house on. But they gave up paying the taxes and the property went up for an auction unless back taxes were paid. My wife and I paid the taxes and have continued to pay them. My wife's father has signed over his part... Read more »

Tristan Kenyon Schultz
Tristan Kenyon Schultz answered on Jul 30, 2016

You will need to contact a real estate attorney directly for advice with your situation. As a general rule, paying taxes and receiving the father's share give you an interest in the property. The mother can force a sale, but you can offer to purchase her portion. If nothing else you should... Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.