Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Communications Law Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Employment Law, Personal Injury and Communications Law for Utah on
Q: (Utah) I was terminated due to attendance at my job, and my boss contacted my cohabitates to inform them.

For background, I cohabitate(d) with my girlfriend and her parents. With my termination, this supervisor notified my girlfriend’s parents before I had the opportunity to repose & break the news myself (this is in the span of less than 24 hours.) This has resulted in my displacement from their... Read more »

Michael Lewis Eisner
Michael Lewis Eisner answered on Sep 21, 2021

You should consult with an attorney in Utah. Each state has different laws regarding communications with others. If someone says or writes something false, the publisher can be held liable for damages caused by the defamation of character (libel or slander). Many states also allow a cause of... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Estate Planning, Family Law, Civil Rights and Communications Law for Virginia on
Q: Can my father's living siblings & children successfully fight for the right to properly bury my father who has no will.

My father is born and raised in Danville, VA. He remarried to make his oldest daughter a legal citizen which wasn't completed. His baby mother has refused to allow us to have his body for our funeral & burial. They expect our entire family to drive 8 hours to visit my father, plus they are... Read more »

Benjamin Inman
Benjamin Inman answered on Sep 21, 2021

Im sorry that you lost your father. Losing a parent at any age can be extremely difficult.

I dont think there is enough information in your question to give you an answer. My best guess from reading between the lines here is that your father died outside of Virginia in a state where he was...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts, Criminal Law, Civil Rights and Communications Law for Arkansas on
Q: what do you need to become a lawyer?

what is all the steps to becoming a lawyer

W. Whitfield Hyman
W. Whitfield Hyman answered on Sep 21, 2021

1. Graduate High School or earn a GED.

2. Earn a bachelor’s degree in anything from a college. Takes about 4 years.

3. Take the LSAT while in college (maybe they allow other tests now I’m not sure).

4. Complete law school (3 years).

5. Pass the bar exam in the...
Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Employment Law and Communications Law for California on
Q: Boss instructed me to email his client.

If I state in the email, “I am sending on behalf of my boss” and cc my boss, am I personally endorsing the contents and attachments? Even if I was instructed to send.

Niran Grimberg
Niran Grimberg answered on Sep 15, 2021

California's Labor Code section 1102.5 states that if you complain/inform your employer of something you reasonably to be unlawful (in this case asking you to endorse contents and attachments), it is unlawful for your employer to retaliate against you. If you believe what your boss is asking... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Civil Rights and Communications Law for Texas on
Q: How do I get a case dismissed that I was indicted for in 1998 after finding out the indictment was wrong?

In 1998 I was sentenced to 5yrs probation for failure to register, after pulling the record and the true bill of indictment

I realized that the reportable conviction they used to get the indictment I was never convicted of nor was I ever charged with this crime. After all the years that... Read more »

Kiele Linroth Pace
Kiele Linroth Pace answered on Aug 14, 2021

If anyone can fix the conviction, it will be an expert in criminal appeals, and that will be expensive. However, if you were granted a pardon by the Governor of Texas, then you could file for an expunction of the records. That might be just as good of a result, depending on your goals.... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Federal Crimes, Communications Law and Constitutional Law for Michigan on
Q: Is it always a federal crime to threaten someone online or through phone, even if the person or thing being threatened

is in the same state as the threatener? Is this because Congress has the power to regulate interstate commerce and make laws pertaining to the foregoing power and phones and the internet are considered to be interstate commerce?

Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers answered on Aug 10, 2021

Bingo! phone lines and internet connections are matters of interstate commerce. But it is not always charged as a federal crime; more often than not, it would be a state-level charge.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Communications Law for California on
Q: Framed. What is the CA. evidence code to admit an email as evidence to prosecute. Email is NOT from me,

Someone is framing me and police believe the falsified email was from me. Service provider supplied letter clearing me but in another police waiting til it was too late to obtain exonerating proof from the service provider to show I didn’t draft nor send it. Any information would be appreciated.

Dale S. Gribow
Dale S. Gribow answered on Jul 26, 2021

i think you need to send an anti spoliation letter to the company saying not to destroy your writing and email.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Civil Rights and Communications Law for Washington on
Q: Why did I receive a “Notice of Interception Of Oral Communications Inventory” from the prosecuting attorneys office ?

It looked like a court order signed by a judge and was sent to me certified from the prosecuting attorneys office. It listed a 5 day period this last November for when it was approved by the judge for intercepting my oral communications. I am so confused as to why I would receive this out of the... Read more »

Cristine Beckwith
Cristine Beckwith answered on Jul 21, 2021

If you have not done anything wrong, it is possible that you have unknowingly communicated with a person who is being investigated for a very serious crime.

1 Answer | Asked in Landlord - Tenant, Contracts, Civil Rights and Communications Law for Michigan on
Q: My landlord came to mobile home the other day, to set up a rent payment plan.(As the owner does not want to be a part

Of the Gov.Cera plan, or MSHDA. He proceeded to tell me how he doesn't think I have a disability, I should go back to work

He's in pain everyday and he works, He doesn't feel as tho anyone should be on disability.Any insight, Because I'm really

Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers answered on Jun 26, 2021

Are you already renting under MSHDA or some other program? Your landlord does not get to decide if you are disabled or whether you qualify under any program.

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law, Child Custody, Child Support and Communications Law for Michigan on
Q: A girl I hooked up with may be pregnant, she won’t involve me or tell me if she is pregnant. What can I do?

I am a 23 year old EMT and she is a 39 year old ER nurse. Despite my effort she will not confirm with me if she is pregnant. She only tells me that she is “handling it”.

Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers answered on Jun 24, 2021

Why do you think she is pregnant? And if she is, why do you think it's by you? There is a process to establish paternity before birth, but you'd need a whole lot more than a feeling she is pregnant. And she would otherwise be able to "handle it" as she sees fit anyway.

1 Answer | Asked in Appeals / Appellate Law and Communications Law for Connecticut on
Q: Why is my application abandoned?
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Jun 21, 2021

A Connecticut attorney could advise best, but your question remains open for five weeks. You could repost with some additional details - no personal information is necessary, but including something about the type of application and reason for abandonment/denial, etc. could make for better chances... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Communications Law and Internet Law for Ohio on
Q: Can a judge ordered me to stay off social media in Ohio?

I am on probation and am just wondering.

Andrew Popp
Andrew Popp answered on May 24, 2021

It depends on the facts of the case and underlying charge. The short answer is probably yes.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Communications Law and Employment Discrimination for Michigan on
Q: Can someone video record w/ audio and eavesdrop on my conversation with a fellow employee without my knowledge?

I was inside their home because they hired our company to treat for pests. All electronics are supposed to be unplugged. She had a video camera set up and eavesdropped on my conversation with an employee while she was somewhere else watching on her phone. She’s now sent it to my office and trying... Read more »

Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers answered on Apr 28, 2021

You have two issues: 1) you were in someone else's home, with no reasonable expectation of privacy; 2) this is an employment issue. Any one, right or wrong, can make a complaint. Good employers will assess the complaint and want to hear your side of things before taking action. It could be as... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights, Communications Law, Domestic Violence and Libel & Slander for California on
Q: I'm being neural remote monitored I need a lawyer to sue them
Dale S. Gribow
Dale S. Gribow answered on Apr 18, 2021

more info needed to understand.

however, i do not do that sore of litigation.

that would be civil litigation, not criminal.

chances are you would only find a lawyer to do so on an hourly, not on a contingency

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Communications Law and Gov & Administrative Law for Colorado on
Q: Do I need to be on call to testify in court if I never received a subpoena in Colorado?

I was involved in an armed gas station robbery in 2019. DA called me Feb. of this year and admitted they were sending everything to the wrong person with my same name despite having my police report and information. They said the lead investigator would call me in March. Never did. I finally called... Read more »

Brian K. McHugh
Brian K. McHugh answered on Apr 13, 2021

If you have not been personally served with a subpoena you have no legal obligation to appear. However, I assume you are important witness since, as you say, you were "involved in an armed gas station robbery." Unless you were a participant, you might want to give some thought to... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law and Communications Law for Louisiana on
Q: I had DCFS involved as well as CPS. I believe they are the same adjacency.

I received a letter from DCFS stating they closed the case I want to know if the cps case is closed as well. I'm not sure if they are both the same thing in Louisiana.

Ellen Cronin Badeaux
Ellen Cronin Badeaux answered on Mar 22, 2021

Same Agency. Your case is now closed.

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights and Communications Law for California on
Q: Is it legal to print my name on a document handed to all residence that i spoke up about an illegal issue in the complex

I attended a residence zoom meeting it was recorded and notes were taken, when the notes were distributed my name was next to the most serious complaints about illegal issues at our apartment complex

Louis George Fazzi
Louis George Fazzi answered on Mar 11, 2021

The short answer is yes. You participated in a quasi public meeting, so you should not be surprised that the notetaker included your identity and what issues you raised. You only want to be sure that you were quoted accurately.

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts, Copyright, Business Law and Communications Law for Arizona on
Q: We do internet videos and a major american television show is asking us to sign a "Material License Agreement"

We are wondering what liability can come from this? We do not currently make money from the internet and are just making interesting videos. The contract says we grant non-exclusive license. We're fine giving it away for free but since we don't make money from this, we just want to make... Read more »

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Mar 8, 2021

An Arizona attorney could advise best, but your post remains open for four weeks. Because of its complexity and detail, this could be a difficult post for an attorney to respond to without knowing more information, and likely seeing the agreement you mention. If you continue not to get a response,... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Communications Law, Constitutional Law and Small Claims for California on
Q: I booked 14 days at an inn, I stayed 6 days only, receptionist gave no receipt saw receipt on email was charged fully

I originally booked 14 days at an inn. I checked in and I was charged the 2 weeks right away. I asked if ever I decided to check out early is there refund. Guy said yes. On the 6th day, I told the receptionist I'm checking out and gave the card keys. Receptionist said I'm good to go... Read more »

William John Light
William John Light answered on Feb 28, 2021

Small Claims is an option. However, if you booked through a third party, like or similar, I don't think you can get your money back.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.