Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Connecticut Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Land Use & Zoning and Real Estate Law for Connecticut on
Q: My neighbor built a 10-ft fence wall on their property 8 inches from the border line. I moved into my house 13 years ago

and the fence was already there. I have been maintaining neighbor's 8-in property since then. I recently built a fence that joins my neighbor's fence for my dog. I installed new poles close to the old fence so my fence does not touch my neighbor's. My neighbor is asking me to move my... Read more »

Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery answered on Jul 16, 2021

The Boundary Line is probably established by Acquiesence. Hire a CT attorney to search both titles and determine the common boundary line of record. Be prepared to defend your title on Acquiesence if he sues you.

1 Answer | Asked in Workers' Compensation for Connecticut on
Q: I I've in ct and got hurt on June 29,2021and I'm still out of work. I have a lumbar displacement in lower back. Case?

They have not returned my calls . I called twice. I going to physical therapy right now that they set up but still in I have a case?

Randy Bryan Ligh
Randy Bryan Ligh answered on Jul 14, 2021

You do not provide enough facts to answer this question, but if you were injured on the job, then you need to consult with a worker's comp attorney in your state. If you were injured due to the negligence or fault of someone else or something in the custody or control of someone else, then... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Business Law for Connecticut on
Q: Do shareholders have the right to access Board of Directors Meeting Minutes in the State of Connecticut?
Joseph B. LaRocco
Joseph B. LaRocco answered on Jul 13, 2021

According to Connecticut General Statutes Sec. 33-946, shareholders of a Connecticut corporation are entitled to inspect the records of the company, including Board of Directors meeting minutes. If the company is uncooperative with a verbal request, then according to Connecticut State Business... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Personal Injury for Connecticut on
Q: If I get civil Summons for a personal injury suit and it says the amount is greater then $15,500,how much more can it be
Bill Beckert
Bill Beckert answered on Jul 6, 2021

$15,000 is an amount that invokes a certain jurisdiction of the Superior Court. There is no limit to what can be recovered, but Courts are always on the look out for excessive or improper awards. Each case is judged on its individual merits.

1 Answer | Asked in Appeals / Appellate Law and Communications Law for Connecticut on
Q: Why is my application abandoned?
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Jun 21, 2021

A Connecticut attorney could advise best, but your question remains open for five weeks. You could repost with some additional details - no personal information is necessary, but including something about the type of application and reason for abandonment/denial, etc. could make for better chances... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Lemon Law, Products Liability and Small Claims for Connecticut on
Q: Can I sue a repair shop/dealership for the entirety of my vehicle due to shotty repairs?

The car has gone into this shop with a full coverage warranty. They would keep the vehicle in their shop for multiple weeks to repair simple things, and return the car with the same problems. This continued over the course of 2-3 years, until the engine failed and was considered totalled. The... Read more »

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing answered on Jun 19, 2021

Unlikely at this point. You'd need an expert to testify that the engine fialed due to what they did and for no other reason. Part of the problem is also you kept taking it back--the law would say some of that's on you, because you didn't want to have a competent mechanic look at it.... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law for Connecticut on
Q: Do I need an affidavit of support or having worked in the US for 20+ years is enough?

My American citizen child just turned 21 and is going to petition me to get a green card. He is a college student so he doesn't have the income for the affidavit of support. I don't have anybody else I could ask this for, it's very intrusive. The USCIS site says I don't need the... Read more »

Agnes Jury
Agnes Jury answered on Jun 18, 2021

Your son needs to complete the Affidavit of Support but your income can be counted towards the minimum income required so you won't need another sponsor. If you are doing the Adjustment of Status on your own, I strongly encourage you to at least consult with an immigration attorney to make... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Personal Injury for Connecticut on
Q: What is the statute of limitations on a trip and fall accident in Connecticut?
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Jun 17, 2021

Only a Connecticut attorney could advise, but your post remains open for two weeks. If you haven't already, consider reaching out to a local attorney to discuss. Aside from state-specific statutes of limitations (which are typically in the order of years as a general matter nationwide), if the... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Employment Law for Connecticut on
Q: Age discrimination or "overqualification" prejudice? Can a lawyer compel private testimony with company and myself?
Kyle Anderson
Kyle Anderson answered on Jun 9, 2021

Hello, generally speaking, an attorney cannot compel the company to provide information unless a lawsuit is filed. More information is needed here to evaluate your situation. I would reach out to an employment law attorney in your state for a consultation.

2 Answers | Asked in Family Law for Connecticut on
Q: Can I hire a GAL for my grandchildren so that I know their best interests are being presented?

My concern is that pick up and drop offs are very toxic for my grandchildren. The exchanges need to be monitored and contact extremely limited between the parents. My other concern is that things are being said about my daughter to the children by their father and while this is being fought out... Read more »

Melissa Jill Needle
Melissa Jill Needle answered on Jun 2, 2021

GAL's are either appointed by the Court in a Divorce or Family Law Action or determined by mutual agreement of the Parties and "approved" by the Court.


A Guardian Ad Litem (GAL) is a court appointed individual, by either the...
Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Personal Injury, Medical Malpractice and Employment Law for Connecticut on
Q: Do I have a case? I suffered a miscarriage; my healthcare provider refused to provide me with accommodation.

I was in lots of pain leading up to my miscarriage. The healthcare provider didn't look into the cause of pain and when I asked for accommodation after stating I lift heavy at work (50+ pounds at times) I was refused. I worked 12 hour shifts at the warehouse Amazon and every worker is given... Read more »

Todd Kelly
Todd Kelly answered on Jun 2, 2021

It is unlikely that you have a medical malpractice case. However, you may have an employment discrimination case. I do not do that type of case, but would be happy to refer you to a colleague.

2 Answers | Asked in Immigration Law for Connecticut on
Q: Hello, Thank you for your time :)

my father lives in Greece, is Georgian citizen. I am applying I-130 for him, how should I answer the question Was the beneficiary EVER in immigration proceedings? as he has never been in states, but he has been an lawful residence in Greece . And never had any issues with immigration in Greece .... Read more »

Nadine C. Atkinson-Flowers
Nadine C. Atkinson-Flowers answered on Jun 1, 2021

It refers to proceedings in the USA. Good luck!

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Copyright for Connecticut on
Q: I had music I made stolen from me and used on a record label with big artists and was never compensated. How do I sue?
Marcos Garciaacosta
Marcos Garciaacosta answered on May 26, 2021

You need to consult with an attorney.

Did you ever have any contract?

3 Answers | Asked in Appeals / Appellate Law and Trademark for Connecticut on
Q: Hello , i had file with Uspto for mu business 8/10/2019 9/28/2020 they had abandoned my application
Marcos Garciaacosta
Marcos Garciaacosta answered on May 22, 2021

You need to consult with an attorney on the steps you need to take

Best luck

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Personal Injury and Child Custody for Connecticut on
Q: Can my ex-husband sue me if our daughter gets hurt on a trampoline at my house?
Bill Beckert
Bill Beckert answered on May 3, 2021

The short answer is yes. But it depends on the condition of the trampoline. For example, if there was safety equipment that was not assembled or connected to it, whether there were problems with the trampoline that you knew of, but nevertheless let her use it.

Now it may be that he is only...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Estate Planning for Connecticut on
Q: I have filled out a statutory short form power of attorney in Ct. Is this legal and binding?

I will. have this form notarized with two witnesses. Do I still need to go to a lawyer.? Thank you for your time

Steven Basche
Steven Basche answered on Apr 29, 2021

You should be all set. Just make sure you understand that the initial powers, usually on the first page, are all included unless you cross them out, but the optional estate planning powers are not included unless you initial next to them to add them in.

1 Answer | Asked in Personal Injury, Car Accidents and Small Claims for Connecticut on
Q: Can I sue a previous lawyer for not paying my medical bills with my lawsuit?

The I.R.S has started garnishing my wages and also my tax return. I am on Disability & Medicare paid now wants money back

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Apr 26, 2021

A Connecticut attorney could advise best, but your post remains open for two weeks. If it were New York City and I was presented with a situation like this, I would focus my efforts on finding out if it would be possible to do something with the lien, and finding out if the Human Resources... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law for Connecticut on
Q: My husband got visa refused on October 25th,2020 because he is firs-cousin married. After all, I was residing in Texas.

Now I move to Connecticut because they allow this marriage and I sent all new domicile to them in CEAC, I contact the US embassy in Sudan. They told me just wait about my case because my husband has been case refused for 6 months now. his medical exam already expired on April 8th, 2021, the US... Read more »

Kyndra L Mulder
Kyndra L Mulder answered on Apr 25, 2021

The law that governs decisions regarding immigration is found in the Immigration and Nationality Act. This is federal and not state law.

1 Answer | Asked in Arbitration / Mediation Law for Connecticut on
Q: If my case manager was in love with me and I dropped her and she is now creating me problems and I have proof What can D
David H. Relkin
David H. Relkin answered on Apr 24, 2021

I can answer your problem with an experience of my own. A Case Manager refused to promptly supply a replacement Arbitrator. He simply became unavailable. Two weeks passed without any responses to my demand that he supply three new names for the parties.

Every Tribunal has an administrative...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Car Accidents for Connecticut on
Q: my 12 yo son was riding a bicycle, his breaks failed and he hit a passing car. Am I liable for the damage to the car?

He was riding down a hill and could not stop hitting a side of a passing car, he fell off the bicycle and fractured his leg. Yesterday a policewoman came and said that the owner of the vehicle will be contacting me to discuss the damage to the car.

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Apr 18, 2021

A Connecticut attorney could advise best, but your post remains open for three weeks. I'm sorry your son was injured; I hope he has a healthy recovery. As a general matter in most any jurisdiction, it's possible you could be liable, unless there are defenses that present themselves in... Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.