Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Connecticut Contracts Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Contracts, Employment Law and Education Law for Connecticut on
Q: Do I have a case? 2017 & 2018 both contractual step increase years. I took leave 2017 & returned 2018 & no step awarded

I am aware that the 2017 year leave of absence cost me the right to have a step increase. This was a decision I made willingly when I chose not to return to work that year. However in 2018 I did return to work and I was still denied a step increase they were two steps in two years and I didn’t... Read more »

Rhiannon Herbert
Rhiannon Herbert answered on Apr 13, 2022

This depends on the specific language in your contract. You should contact a Connecticut contract attorney to review the contract regarding step increases and any potential exceptions to this rule.

Q: 5:14-cv-03139-SAC-DJW. Help please.
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Mar 4, 2022

A Connecticut attorney could advise best, but your question remains open for two weeks. And you post under Personal Injury and Appeals/Appellate, suggesting that a need to appeal your matter might be at hand. With the question & answer format here, it's difficult for attorneys to reach out... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts and Employment Law for Connecticut on
Q: Do I have to give required notice prior to leaving during contract transition period?

My hospital contracted our physician group to a physician provider company. As a result, I was entered into a contract with this company but soon after hospital decided not to move forward with the company. Administration informed they are in the process of transitioning the contracts back to the... Read more »

Carrie Dyer
Carrie Dyer answered on Jan 11, 2022

Not enough information is provided to answer your question. You should contact an employment attorney in your area to review your original contract with the hospital, as well as the new contract you signed with the physician provider company. The language of the contracts will dictate what your... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Contracts, Estate Planning, Elder Law and Probate for Connecticut on
Q: Can children (and their spouses) serve as witnesses for their parent when signing a Power of Attorney in CT?

Due to a sudden illness, my father was admitted to a skilled nursing facility in late 2020. His Medicare eligibility is now lapsing and I need a Power of Attorney agreement to assist with his Medicaid enrollment, funeral planning, managing of finances, etc. Due to Covid restrictions, his facility... Read more »

Steven Basche
Steven Basche answered on Mar 26, 2021

Because of COVID, there is an executive order which suspends the witness requirement on all instruments which need to be notarized, except for wills. So, you are in luck. There no witnesses required. That said, it can't hurt to have your sister and her husband sign as witnesses. Or... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts and Civil Rights for Connecticut on
Q: Can I be sued by a photographer who I worked with who wants my video work handed over to him?

Never signed any agreement/contract. Work was always delivered to clients through photographer. All clients have their work.

Joseph Maya
Joseph Maya answered on Mar 16, 2021

You provide an interesting legal question and situation. To fully address the legal issue, you will probably need to hire an attorney licensed to practice in Connecticut. I wish you the best of luck in the resolution of your situation.

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts for Connecticut on
Q: In Connecticut, is it legal to strike/cross out language in a contract prior to endorsement by both parties?
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Jul 27, 2020

A Connecticut attorney should advise, but your question remains open for two weeks. As a general premise of contract law, one side cannot simply change agreed upon terms in a contract. If both sides agree to make changes, it's possible they could make notations and strikethroughs and then... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Contracts, Family Law and Child Custody for Connecticut on
Q: So I was recently hospitalized for not being on my medicine and they said I was unsafe around my kids without it..

So, what happens if I want another kid and I have to go off my meds?? the probate court said I have to be seeking treatment and I live in CT and I want another kid someday and that's like them telling me I can't have another baby. I am schizophrenic and have a mental illness but... Read more »

Joseph Maya
Joseph Maya answered on Jul 1, 2020

Generally, a patient’s physician would advise as to what medications a patient may need, in addition to the appropriate dosage etc. To the extent a patient has a health condition, including pregnancy, that may be negatively impacted by the use of a medication, a physician may make a... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts for Connecticut on
Q: my ex recently signed a contract in court & is trying to back out on it, can I summon her without my lawyer being there?

Just wondering , the contract is in black & white, & I really don’t want to have to pay $500 an hour for my lawyer to be present if they don’t have to be..

Bruce Alexander Minnick
Bruce Alexander Minnick answered on Jun 18, 2019

If you have a lawyer who has entered an appearance in the case, the court may not allow you to bypass them. An option is to fire the lawyer; however, if things go south again you may regret it.

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts, Real Estate Law and Landlord - Tenant for Connecticut on
Q: I'm a holdover tenant in an apt in CT. My landlord proposed a lease addendum. If I sign it, will I still be a holdover?

The original one-year lease ended in 2012. I would like to keep my month-to-month tenancy. The proposed addendum does not include any language about timing/terms.

Bruce Alexander Minnick
Bruce Alexander Minnick answered on May 30, 2019

In most states a "holdover tenant" is called a "tenant at sufferance"--which means you can be evicted at anytime--even without notice. However, if you are still paying your rent on a month=to-month basis, the law would probably allow you stay for at least 30 days from the date... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts, Real Estate Law and Civil Litigation for Connecticut on
Q: I wasnt allowed to submit a police report as evidence in a civil case. Judge said it wasnt "certified". What is?

I couldn't afford an attorney, I filed a civil case pro se. The police report was the "smoking gun" and had the facts. The judge would not allow it as evidence because it was not "certified". I contacted that police department, they are unaware of what a "certified... Read more »

Bruce Alexander Minnick
Bruce Alexander Minnick answered on Apr 3, 2019

Welcome to the world of civil litigation, where having a skilled trial lawyer often makes the difference between losing and winning. Teaching point: Regardless of what the official document is, "the smoking gun" notwithstanding, most courts will not allow introduction of any document... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Personal Injury, Civil Litigation and Contracts for Connecticut on
Q: I did a lawsuit am recieving 35000 how much my lawyer keeps
Stephen Arnold Black
Stephen Arnold Black answered on Nov 30, 2018

That depends on a variety of factors. How much your counsel advanced in costs to prosecute your case; whether a lawsuit was filed in court which would most likely increase the attorneys fees clause provision in the contract; how much, if any the medical lien was...there may be more factors. Ask... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts for Connecticut on
Q: If I create IP not specified in my contract, do I own it?

I'm a pastor. I've created some stuff for use in church, and now have people who want to buy it, but my church says they own it. Nothing in my contract specifies who owns the copyright to my work, which I thought meant it belongs to me since IP creators are presumed owners. Who's right?

William P. Lalor
William P. Lalor answered on Jul 24, 2018

All depends on what your contract says, the nature of your creation, and other circumstances not clear from your question. So the short answer is, "it depends."

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts, Construction Law and Small Claims for Connecticut on
Q: What do i do if I gave a contractor a deposit and he does not do the work or return calls etc?

I signed a contract and I paid a deposit on May 1st. I was verbally told the work would be done by the end of May. I have not heard back from the contractor since (it is now mid June). I have called multiple times and get no response. I fear the contractor is not planning on doing the work and is... Read more »

Max Lavit Rosenberg
Max Lavit Rosenberg answered on Jul 6, 2018

You need to hire an attorney with experience in civil litigation and contract law to "light a fire under the contractor" with a demand letter and some phone calls. At worst, you will need the attorney to file a claim against the contractor as well. This is something my office handles... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Banking, Contracts and Foreclosure for Connecticut on
Q: In CT, If my second mortgage was written off as a bad debt in 2013, can the mortgage company continue charging interest?

I recently tried refinancing with another mortgage company. This company was prepared to pay off my first and second mortgage but needed a letter from my current mortgage provider stating that the second mortgage was closed off as a bad debt... which it is. When the request was made, my mortgage... Read more »

Christopher H. McCormick
Christopher H. McCormick answered on May 10, 2018

Unfortunately for you yes. Charge off is a credit reporting action, but does not affect your underlying liability under the note and mortgage you signed with the creditor. A charge off combined with the release of your second mortgage would have provided you the ability to avoid the payoff of the... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts and Business Law for Connecticut on
Q: I have a business partner in AL, I am in CT. We are going to have a business agreement.

Should the agreement be based in a neutral state?

Matthew A. Wiley
Matthew A. Wiley answered on Oct 5, 2017

You can have an agreement with someone from out of state. You can pick any law you would like to avail yourself too. It is not necessarily bad to use CT law. Many national business agreements tend to be in NY or DE. It is also possible to change the state at a later date. For most people it comes... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts and Real Estate Law for Connecticut on
Q: Is it legal for a Bank to not allow you to review documents prior to closing?

I requested to review Personal Loan documents before the closing (not the day of the closing) as I have vision problems and would prefer to read the documents electronically (preferably in pdf format) to enable the ability to zoom in on small text. They responded that I would not be allowed to... Read more »

Nicole M. Camporeale
Nicole M. Camporeale answered on Jul 12, 2017

This question should be directed to your closing attorney. I'm sure by now you have.

1 Answer | Asked in Animal / Dog Law and Contracts for Connecticut on
Q: Misdiagnosis from a veternarian that would have been a simple $1700 ended up as a $6800 surgery, can I get compensated

I suspected a foreign body obstruction in my dog on a Saturday and was told by the ER VET it was probably not a foreign body, the hospital decided an MRI was not necessary but took x-rays on SATURDAY. These x-rays were reviewed by another Dr. on the same day and they confirmed an obstruction but I... Read more »

Sally A. Roberts
Sally A. Roberts answered on Aug 22, 2016

The problem will be getting someone to take the case, because of damages. You might want to address this directly with the Vet.

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law and Contracts for Connecticut on
Q: My car was sold by a storage yard. It was restored & resold for big money. What area of practice would best help me?

My old car was in storage for years with a Connecticut licensed dealer. I missed several months of storage payments, and the dealer sold the car as junk for cash, without paperwork, and without notifying me or otherwise complying with the pertinent DMV regulations.

The car was resold... Read more »

Sally A. Roberts
Sally A. Roberts answered on Aug 22, 2016

Contact a consumer law attorney. Sarah Poriss in Hartford.

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Contracts and Small Claims for Connecticut on
Q: A storage unit was transferred to me and I paid the past due rent. Do the contents now belong to me?

My nephew could not pay for his storage unit and the contents were to be auctioned. In order to save some family belongings he transferred the unit to me (I possess the signed transfer) and I paid all that was due. A few weeks later his father reimbursed me for the amount paid. He now says the... Read more »

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing answered on Jul 27, 2016

If dad reimbursed you I think the contents going to you would be viewed as a windfall. If the father wants the sons contents then he would have a right to pick them up. Besides legalities, do you really want to cause a lifetime of bad feelings on this?

Right now you are the heroine for...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts for Connecticut on
Q: Maximum time to receive ruling on motion for summary judgment
Charles Snyderman
Charles Snyderman answered on Apr 17, 2014

More information would have been helpful. Do you have an attorney? Generally speaking, once a motion for summary judgment has been filed, briefed and argued, there is no deadline for the judge to issue a ruling on the motion.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.