Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Connecticut Landlord - Tenant Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights and Landlord - Tenant for Connecticut on
Q: We are having a civil matter with the management in our apartment complex. The tenant below us smokes inside, and the

Second hand smoke comes inside our apartment. This has been causing health issues, and we wouldn’t of moved here if we knew it wasn’t non smoking as advertise on there web page and stated in the leased as no smoking. After complaining to management she responded with a letter saying that... Read more »

Paul C. Jensen Jr.
Paul C. Jensen Jr. answered on Feb 27, 2021

You may have a claim for constructive eviction. Connecticut law provides that your landlord has the obligation to ensure that conditions do not render your unit "unfit or uninhabitable." Conn. Gen. Stat. Ann. § 47a-7(a). Connecticut courts recognize that "[a]ny disturbance of the... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Landlord - Tenant and Probate for Connecticut on
Q: No will. Step daughter started collecting rent for months before probate has started from step fathers rental property.

She refuses to disclose any information about payments she's been collecting with no right and we are just about to start probate in CT as Florida had to be started first. I am the decendents daughter and will be seeking Administrator responsibility as I am in florida now. Will she be facing... Read more »

Joseph Maya
Joseph Maya answered on Feb 19, 2021

I am sorry to hear about your situation and am sorry for your loss. To fully address your legal questions, you will probably need to hire an attorney licensed to practice in Connecticut. I wish you the best of luck in the resolution of your situation.

1 Answer | Asked in Landlord - Tenant and Real Estate Law for Connecticut on
Q: Connecticut residential lease- tenant signing and their attorney as trustee

i am the owner of a single family home that I am renting- A tenant is renting from me and has signed a lease with her attorney co signing as trustee (the attorney manages the tenants trust fund)- Does that mean the attorney is legally responsible if rent is not paid or home is damaged etc? i.e.-... Read more »

Christopher H. McCormick
Christopher H. McCormick answered on Jan 29, 2021

The attorney is signing in his capacity as trustee of the trust so he is not personally responsible the trust is. If you had to pursue the trust for payment you would name the attorney as trustee as defendant in a collection suit to obtain a judgment against the trust.

1 Answer | Asked in Landlord - Tenant for Connecticut on
Q: Can a landlord tell a renter that they have 30 days to leave the house they've been in for 12 years. What can we do?

The landlord is very sick and is in the process of gifting the house to a church and the person who said this to us hasn't signed the papers yet. We were broad sided with this.

Max Lavit Rosenberg
Max Lavit Rosenberg answered on Feb 27, 2020

Yes. This is something that happens depending on whether you are month to month tenants or under a lease. You would be well advised to consult with a housing attorney and explore your options as soon as possible. You have rights that might be wasted if you wait too long. Good luck.

1 Answer | Asked in Landlord - Tenant and Real Estate Law for Connecticut on
Q: can i quiet a title if i was awarded the property in a divorce but my ex wife quit claimed it to a third party?

i was awarded our marital property in a divorce but my ex wife quit claimed it to a third party. who thinks and feels they own the property but we both have a recorded deed? how can i quiet their title? or what course of action do i take

Linda Ann Subbloie
Linda Ann Subbloie answered on Dec 3, 2019

I would need more information to provide a good answer, for instance, when did your ex wife quit claim the property to the third party and under what circumstances. Furthermore, I am assuming you did not sign the quit claim deed to the third party. If not, then your wife may have only quit claimed... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts, Real Estate Law and Landlord - Tenant for Connecticut on
Q: I'm a holdover tenant in an apt in CT. My landlord proposed a lease addendum. If I sign it, will I still be a holdover?

The original one-year lease ended in 2012. I would like to keep my month-to-month tenancy. The proposed addendum does not include any language about timing/terms.

Bruce Alexander Minnick
Bruce Alexander Minnick answered on May 30, 2019

In most states a "holdover tenant" is called a "tenant at sufferance"--which means you can be evicted at anytime--even without notice. However, if you are still paying your rent on a month=to-month basis, the law would probably allow you stay for at least 30 days from the date... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Real Estate Law and Landlord - Tenant for Connecticut on
Q: I have some questions about a couple general statutes in CT

I'm in a dispute with my landlord over shared metering in CT. He doesn't not provide us with a split bill, and cannot prove how much electricity we use. According to CGS § 16-262e, he should be liable to pay for the electricity. As far as I know he doesn't have a PURA certified sub... Read more »

Nicole M. Camporeale
Nicole M. Camporeale answered on Jan 15, 2019

Please advise what your question is specifically in order to receive a helpful answer. Thanks!

1 Answer | Asked in Probate, Real Estate Law, Estate Planning and Landlord - Tenant for Connecticut on
Q: Is it possible to enter a rental agreement (lease) for a property that is in probate?

It should be noted that the beneficiary - in this case, the deceased's wife, wants to rent it out. The property is in probate bc it was only in the deceased's name.

T. J. Jesky
T. J. Jesky answered on Sep 24, 2018

Short answer: Yes, it is possible.

Probate can tie-up a property for a long period of time, and it may be financially impractical for the property to remain unoccupied during that time.

The court will generally appoint an estate executor or personal representative. This...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Civil Rights and Landlord - Tenant for Connecticut on
Q: This is strange but I am renting a room out of a condo and the guy renting it to us put up a camera in the living room.

You can see when it's recording at certain times of the day

Gary Kollin
Gary Kollin answered on Jul 31, 2018

And the question is?

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Landlord - Tenant for Connecticut on
Q: How to prove someone does not live with when a protective order prevents you from going home?

My brother was charged with threatening in the 2nd in Connecticut. He was released on bond and had his arraignment already. They continued the protective order and told him to prove his accuser does not live there after he told the judge she does not. Currently the mother of his 2 young children is... Read more »

Salvatore Bonanno
Salvatore Bonanno answered on Feb 25, 2018

He has a few options. If he is the lawful owner of the residence, he can hire an attorney to begin an eviction process to lawfully remove the woman from his residence. If he is not the owner, then he should inform his landlord that the landlord needs her evicted, as he cannot enter the premises... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Real Estate Law and Landlord - Tenant for Connecticut on
Q: I have been asked to sign my daughters lease with her. She will get renters insurance,. Am I protected?

She is a college student. I will not be living there.

I am concerned about liability.

Nicole M. Camporeale
Nicole M. Camporeale answered on Jul 12, 2017

Renters insurance doesn't protect your personal liability to the landlord, only if she names you on the policy will you be protected if someone is injured on the property or items are stolen, or flood/fire etc depending on the extent of the policy.. If she doesn't pay the rent, you are... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Landlord - Tenant and Real Estate Law for Connecticut on
Q: How can I force an ex-partner to leave my home? He pays nothing and we are no longer a couple.

I have owned my home since 1992. From 2001 - 2012, my partner and his 3 children lived here and we shared all expenses. I re-mortgaged to pay for an addition and a pool. We are no longer a couple due to his alcoholism, and no kids here anymore. He has not paid any money for living expenses for 3... Read more »

Nicole M. Camporeale
Nicole M. Camporeale answered on Jul 12, 2017

If he does not own the property and he has no lease with you and has not paid or contributed to household expenses evidencing some sort of agreement that he stay, then I would call the police as he is trespassing.

1 Answer | Asked in Landlord - Tenant, Real Estate Law and Small Claims for Connecticut on
Q: ow do I get rid of an abandoned truck on my property? My daughters bf parked it there and i don't know who owns it

it is a big dump type truck with a big snow plow on front. it doesn't run to my knowledge. i don't think he owns it and i don't know where they are living now to get in touch with them. it has been here for over a year. they were living in my house until i tossed them to the curb 5 months ago.

Nicole M. Camporeale
Nicole M. Camporeale answered on Jul 12, 2017

Have it towed.

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce, Family Law, Landlord - Tenant and Real Estate Law for Connecticut on
Q: Hi.Do I have to reimburse my live-in boyfriend for money he invested in my home's renovations after we separate?

We both contributed money to the renovation of my home. My boyfriend, I believe, is legally considered a tenant. He pays me rent every month and I pay for everything else. We are separating and he wants me to compensate him for the money that he contributed to the renovations. 1.) Do I have to... Read more »

Nicole M. Camporeale
Nicole M. Camporeale answered on Jul 12, 2017

You need to consult with an attorney on this. You have too many specific questions to get a legal answer online. Attorneys will not feel comfortable providing answers that you may follow through with without getting the full facts and circumstances. This can turn into a complicated situation so my... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Landlord - Tenant and Personal Injury for Connecticut on
Q: My question is lead paint in my apartment

I wanted to know my daughter had called lead poison is in her blood from the apartment that I am living on for the past 2 years 7 month ago my daughter had called lead poison I have proof of information from my daughter's doctor papers and documents I even have the health department came... Read more »

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing answered on Jan 23, 2017

Contact Mike Koskoff in Bridgeport. Tell him I suggested you call. You have a number of potential claims, but the big thing is to figure out what you/your daughter need to do to get it chelated /out of your system. Should be a specialist at Yale New Haven. Odd an adult like your daughter would get... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Landlord - Tenant for Connecticut on
Q: Hello, I am a tenant in a single family home in Connecticut. The house has central air but has failed today.

The landlord is not going to fix it and told me it is "common for the a/c to fail on very hot days, as the ducts in the attic get too hot". ??? Do I have a right to withhold rent until the conditions are made habitable?

Sally A. Roberts
Sally A. Roberts answered on Aug 15, 2016

No, the failure of AC does not make the house uninhabitable.

1 Answer | Asked in Animal / Dog Law and Landlord - Tenant for Connecticut on
Q: I have dogs and they are on the lease can my landlord force me to get rid of my dog for a one time incadent
Sally A. Roberts
Sally A. Roberts answered on Aug 14, 2016

What is the current language on the lease? It seems to me it is foreseeable that a tenant's dog might bite someone so it likely is covered in the language of the leas.

1 Answer | Asked in Landlord - Tenant for Connecticut on
Q: Tenant gave notice to move but has not payed the last months rent do we evict, take to small claims court, keep security

The tenant feels he should not have to pay the last months rent as he wants to move out on October 18th in the middle of the month and just pay partial rent. We said he needs to pay for the whole month so he just hasn't paid anything. The lease was originally a year to year lease but rolled... Read more »

Terrence H Thorgaard
Terrence H Thorgaard answered on Oct 6, 2015

Evidently he has not yet moved out, so it is unclear what you mean when you ask if you can hold the security deposit. Of course you can, until he has moved out.

When he does move out, you apply the deposit to any damages, to rent he owes, and to fill the fuel tank. He gets whatever is...
Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.