Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Contracts Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Contracts and Small Claims for Tennessee on
Q: What is the best resolution for a contractor not finishing the job?

If a contractor has done shoddy work and has not yet finished the job or fixed the issues - Can I bring them to small claims court? How long do I have to do so? Can I seek a refund on monies already paid? They have stopped returning my calls. They are also way past when they promised the work would... Read more »

Mr. James Charles Wright
Mr. James Charles Wright answered on Jun 21, 2021

Yes. You can file a claim in Tennessee's version of small claims court- called General Sessions Court. You would feel out a pleading called a Warrant. You can also report the contractor to the state licensing board.

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts, Employment Law and Public Benefits for Maryland on
Q: Employer claiming breach of contract on bogus claims and withholding wages. How do I proceed?

After submitting a two-week notice, my employer claims I have breached my employment contract on largely bogus claims. He has also withheld a previous paycheck. I was given an impossible number of tasks to complete during my final two weeks, and he is claiming not completing these tasks is a breach... Read more »

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing answered on Jun 21, 2021

If you are an employee, you can file for unemployment comp alleging a change in work conditions.

As to at will employment--that's what everyone is. He can't withold wages for work done. Take his advice and call a wage-hour attorney,

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts for Texas on
Q: What is the law in Texas about receiving copies of things you signed?
Teri A. Walter
Teri A. Walter answered on Jun 21, 2021

While you should get copies of everything you sign, not receiving a copy won't get you out of the obligations.

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation, Contracts, Small Claims and Landlord - Tenant for Texas on
Q: Does the law protect renters on verbal contract?

I rent a room under a verbal contract. I've been told to vacate. This is sudden and leaves me in a terrible position. I'll be on the street because of this. Is there any law to protect me from this?

Teri A. Walter
Teri A. Walter answered on Jun 21, 2021

If you rent the room on a month to month basis, they have to give you 30 days notice of non-renewal. If the oral agreement is week to week, they would only need to give you a week's notice of non-renewal. If you've breached the agreement in some way, the notice period can be 3 days.

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts, Real Estate Law, Land Use & Zoning and Lemon Law for Maryland on
Q: "The law does not stand anywhere." Is this a fact of legal theory, or just something with which to hit me on the head

Your statement: The Law does not stand anywhere. Et tu quo que.

Your view of the Law depends upon where you stand; and where you stand depends upon the Laws view of you.

Richard Sternberg
Richard Sternberg answered on Jun 19, 2021

The law’s view of condo governance is that the condo documents control, except where they don’t. There is no statute on BBQ on the balcony unless it violates fire code, but the condo association MIGHT be able to regulate it… if they did it correctly… which they often don’t.

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law and Contracts for New Jersey on
Q: Can bodyshop change terms of payment after work has begun then threaten to not release the vehicle into my possession?

May 20th 2021 I recieved, signed and sent back an authorization to repair form that the bodyshop had sent me. This document listed acceptable payment methods one of which was any "major credit card". Relationahip between bodyshop and I has gone down hill since then and around June 3rd... Read more »

Leonard R. Boyer
Leonard R. Boyer answered on Jun 19, 2021

I would file suit in New Jersey against the BMW dealer under the Consumer Fraud Act and obtain jurisdiction over the body shop in the New Jersey case, using the long-arm statute and the entire controversy doctrine. However, this type of case can only be taken on a retainer and hourly basis. The New... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Consumer Law, Contracts and Legal Malpractice for Florida on
Q: Civil plaintiff attorney has effectively gone missing since April. Resulting in missed deadline sanction won’t call bar

Radio silence to even the bar

Terrence H Thorgaard
Terrence H Thorgaard answered on Jun 19, 2021

And what is your question? If this is your attorney find another attorney, who can, take over your case and determine what, if anything, to do about the missing attorney.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Construction Law and Contracts for Kentucky on
Q: Can we cancel a contract if the fulfillment of the contract is taking too long?

The contract we signed was for pouring our concrete patio. We paid 50% down per the contract. The contract was to begin April 5. It has taken 2 1/2 months and we still don’t have our con Crete. The contract we signed has a termination clause and this clause says that the contract can only be... Read more »

Timothy Denison
Timothy Denison answered on Jun 18, 2021

Depends solely on the terms of your contract. You should probably have a lawyer examine it for you.

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts for Idaho on
Q: We live in a rental in idaho that is being sold to people who want to move in. What are our rights?

Are we required to move out? Is our lease being “sold” to the new owners? Do that have to hold to it?

If we have to move, can someone provide a source? I can’t find anything online about this.

Kevin M Rogers
Kevin M Rogers answered on Jun 18, 2021

Sorry to tell you this but you have no other rights other than to move out. Hopefully, the new owner will give you thirty (30) days to move your things. That's tough, I know. Renters in Idaho have a tough row to hoe!

3 Answers | Asked in Consumer Law, Personal Injury, Products Liability, Contracts and Small Claims for California on
Q: I bought a truck at auction, paid $4200, drove 10 miles, it caught fire, total loss. Can I be compensated?

I was not burned but suffered smoke inhalation. I had the truck for one hour. An auction employee drove the truck to the front of the lot for me to take delivery. I was told it was driveable. The Fire Dept had to come put out the fire.

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing answered on Jun 17, 2021

Sorry to hear that. Virtually every auction I've ever seen has a disclaimer both on the bidding number issuance paper and on the bill of sale that says that you buy it, you take any and all risks, that the auctioneer doesn't test or examine the vehicles and makes absolutely no guarantee... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts and Business Formation for New York on
Q: I was given a business. The business does not charge for services. The clients sign up on the website for service.

I need to make sure the contract is legally binding and I am becoming owner of said business.

I am on SSI & SSDI as my income.

The business is strictly a website type business.

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Jun 17, 2021

I'm sorry your question remains open for two weeks. The format here is usually quick general questions, which is why it could be difficult to get a response to review a contract. You could use the "Find-a-Lawyer" tab above to reach out to attorneys or search independently online.... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Contracts and Estate Planning for Ohio on
Q: my wife and i filed a quit claim deed and now want it revoked. we both want ownership of our house. is this possible?

i am 58, fully disabled and want to file for a homestead property tax reduction. i am the one that the quit claim deed removed from the home ownership.

can we file a new deed that allows us as co home ownership?

Moshe Toron Esq
Moshe Toron Esq answered on Jun 16, 2021

If she is the current owner, she can sign a new deed putting you on as a co-owner.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Contracts and Insurance Bad Faith for Maryland on
Q: What doctrine governs a partial insurance car repair coverage despite the repair facility's procedure to do it entirely?

My truck was damaged by a collision with a deer. StateFarm paid to repair the truck. StateFarm only paid 1/4 of the cost of reapplying a dealer-installed paint sealant. The "StateFarm recommended" repair facility will not apply the paint sealant to any car partially. Applying the paint... Read more »

Scott Scherr
Scott Scherr answered on Jun 16, 2021

If State Farm is your own insurance company, you can sue them for breach of contract. If State Farm is the insurance company for the other driver who was negligent, you can sue the other driver for the money. Note that if you were injured, you must bring all claims in a single cause of action and... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Contracts, Copyright and Patents (Intellectual Property) on
Q: Hello I am very intrested in knowing what procedures I must undertake in order to have/ buy the patent of build a bear?

Since I am thinking in investing in my country Albania?

Peter D. Mlynek
Peter D. Mlynek answered on Jun 15, 2021

If you want to operate a Built-A-Bear franchise in Albania, you need to contact the Build-A-Bear company. Typically, a franchisee in this type of retail establishment will be required by the company to invest heavily into the franchise. The company will in turn provide assistance in starting and... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts, Estate Planning, Civil Litigation and Probate for California on
Q: Have I been disinherited for not having a conditioned set in Trust at the time it was created or can fulfill now?

My Grandparents made their Living Trust in 1993 while my Mom and I were living in Iran. In their Trust they Place a condition that my Mom has to leave Iran and become a permanent US residence before getting equal share, further it instructs no distribution to be made to children of my Mom who are... Read more »

Julie King
Julie King answered on Jun 15, 2021

Unfortunately, the only way to answer your question is to read the trust. Taking a few lines out of a lengthy document is not enough information for lawyers to give their thoughts and impressions because certain terms will be defined in your document and using a different definition will change the... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Contracts and Construction Law for Ohio on
Q: Under what circumstances can I successfully sue for my deposit back from a contractor who "tried" but failed to perform?

A contractor I hired to fix my leaking roof took half down from me but the roof still leaks. He warranted the work for 20 years although the project isn't "done", but at this point I am not sure he is competent to fix it. To fix it he will have to basically start over, and I think... Read more »

Joseph Jaap
Joseph Jaap answered on Jun 15, 2021

If the roof leaks, then the job has not been done properly or is not complete. Talk to the contractor about it. If you intend to terminate him for breach of contract and sue him, you have to give him notice. Even if you succeed in court and get a judgment against him, it might be difficult to... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation, Contracts, Estate Planning and Probate for Texas on
Q: Can I sue for my grandmas ashes? Her new husbands family took them when he passed.

My grandma passed (in Texas 2015) first and then her new husband had changed around everything in the will (when my grandma was sick he got her to sign stuff). He cut multiple family members from my grandmas side out and made his son the executor. When her husband passed (in Texas 2017), the son... Read more »

Isaac Shutt
Isaac Shutt answered on Jun 14, 2021

It's definitely worth having free (or inexpensive) consultation with a probate attorney. I'd recommend trying to schedule a meeting with an attorney that focuses on probate and estate planning law.

You would be an heir to your grandmother's estate, so it's important...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts for Kentucky on
Q: Car towed, only received one letter by certified mail past statute conformities.

Tow lot is saying they have sent two letters by certified mail, I’ve only received the latter of the two. Never received any notice of certified mail from post office for first letter as laid out by postal service guidelines. Tow lot is stating they’ve sent two letters. What can I do?

Timothy Denison
Timothy Denison answered on Jun 14, 2021

You can sue them in small claims court.

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts, Products Liability, Insurance Defense and Small Claims on
Q: I have a weekly contract at motel 6 all of my belongings where taken I'm denied access to the security footage

House keeper just stormed in using the key not identifying herself or anything just stormed in and got startled and closed the door

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing answered on Jun 11, 2021

Did you report the theft to the police? They can get the footage.

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law and Contracts for Oklahoma on
Q: Bought a rv and signed paperwork now told interest rate was wrong and need to sign new paperwork is this legal?

We bought a travel trailer from a dealership and looked over paperwork and agreed upon the interest rate and payment, signed and took possession of the rv and 3 days later they call and say the paperwork was wrong and interest rate and payments are going to be higher. Is this legal after already... Read more »

Anna L Self
Anna L Self answered on Jun 11, 2021

You should have an attorney review the contract and other documents that you signed but generally contracts are binding upon the parties and they can't change the terms.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.