Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Divorce Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Divorce, Personal Injury, Real Estate Law and Insurance Defense for West Virginia on
Q: Need help filing a dismemberment claim
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Jun 21, 2021

A West Virginia attorney could advise best, but your post remains open for three weeks. At this point, you could reach out to West Virginia attorneys. If the dismemberment involved loss of an extremity in a work-related setting, it could involve element of workers' comp law. But if it was... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce for Tennessee on
Q: Does it matter who signs the divorce papers first the plaintiff or the defendant?
Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery answered on Jun 21, 2021

Not sure of your question. Usually the plaintiff signs the Complaint which is filed, then served on the defendant. In an Irreconcilable Differences Divorce, noone is getting a divorce until all agree and the Judge grants it.

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce for Georgia on
Q: Divorce

My wife of 9 years moved and left me in GA

Michael D. Birchmore
Michael D. Birchmore answered on Jun 21, 2021

Did you want us to answer a question for you? If so, you need to post the question here first.

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce, Family Law and Child Custody for Michigan on
Q: Can two first cousins marry in Michigan?

I have a case where 2 first cousins faked a wedding, represented themselves as husband and wife, this also included to CPS and the family court in Michigan. Years later they obtained a marriage license from Virginia and now are promoting that no laws were violated since they did not legally marry... Read more »

Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers answered on Jun 21, 2021

Not sure what you're looking for. Marriage is a civil matter; if the marriage is invalid under Michigan law - which you are right, marriage between first cousins would be - then it would be voidable, not illegal in the criminal sense. And generally, Michigan will recognize a marriage made in... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce for Louisiana on
Q: My attorney refuses to ask my husband to update his income on his interrogatory and production of documents.

He submitted an interrogatory and production of documents a year ago and lied about his income. He has two sources of income and only reports one. My attorney then said that his second source of income will only be brought up in the event he states that he can’t afford my interim spousal support.... Read more »

Ellen Cronin Badeaux
Ellen Cronin Badeaux answered on Jun 20, 2021

Parties have ongoing obligation to update Discovery Responses. Your attorney knows the law.

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce for Idaho on
Q: My husband was given power of attorney over his dad's property one-year before we were married, the will says it goes to

My husband then down the line in family ify husband died. The father died 4 months after our marriage, it's now legally his, with the will of continued family pass down. No prenup was signed, in a divorce so I have rights

Thank you

Kevin M Rogers
Kevin M Rogers answered on Jun 18, 2021

Every state was given the opportunity to adopt the "Uniform Probate Code." Washington adopted it and had changed a few things over the years. However, one thing that remains the same is that someone who dies with a will has the opportunity to make "devices" "gifts"... Read more »

4 Answers | Asked in Divorce for Georgia on
Q: Which county do I file for divorce?

He went on the run 2 years ago and I haven't heard from him since. I just got confirmation that he is in Cobb county jail. Last known address was mines in Gwinnett but he gave his family address in Rockdale at the jail. All are 3 different countys in Georgia. Also can he be served in jail?

V. Joy Edwards
V. Joy Edwards answered on Jun 18, 2021

Yes he can be served in jail. Since he's just in jail, not prison, that's usually not the last know residence. Gwinnett may be the better place for correct venue. You should consult with an attorney on how to best move your case forward.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Child Custody, Child Support, Divorce and Family Law for Nebraska on
Q: hi I was looking for advice on how to handle court and getting custody of 4 minor children back into my custody

they were removed from my care based on lies stated from a officer which I have solid proof that accusations were untrue. The state took emergency custody based off of this lie of a statement. How do I stand up for myself?

Julie Fowler
Julie Fowler answered on Jun 18, 2021

When a child is removed from a parent due to allegations of abuse or neglect, the parent will be appointed an attorney at the first hearing if they can't afford counsel. If you can't afford an attorney, you should request an attorney appointed and then speak with the attorney about your... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce and Family Law for Tennessee on
Q: Does a lawyer need to be involved in divorce if one of the parties has a 401k? Both parties agree on who will keep it.

The party without the 401k does not want any of it. In leu of dividing it, I took on more debt and he received more physical items such as furniture, etc.

I see that the online forms available state they cannot be used if a party has a retirement account; however, I also have been told that... Read more »

Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery answered on Jun 17, 2021

If the party without the 401K wants any part of it, a very good lawyer will be required even if there is an agreement. QDRO's are very stringent and few attorneys (and Judges) know anything about them. Knowingly giving up a marital interest in property is a serious thing.

3 Answers | Asked in Divorce for New Jersey on
Q: Sons wife filed for divorce, finalized 10/29/2020. Unfortunately he 52 yo passed 3/2/21

She was ordered yo give him $$ from her 401k. When lawyer dispensed escrow $. He was to give to him then. He didn’t. Now he says she wants 3/21 pension share that she was normally receiving. $$ came a week after he passed and i put i to bank. Lawyer now not returning my calls, e-mails, etc.... Read more »

Michael Andrew Conte
Michael Andrew Conte answered on Jun 17, 2021

I would reach out to an attorney who handles estates matters. I sounds like your son's estate probably has a claim against his former spouse for the funds that were supposed to be transferred to him pursuant to the divorce decree.

I don't understand the part of your question...
Read more »

View More Answers

3 Answers | Asked in Divorce and Domestic Violence for Oklahoma on
Q: How do I get a judge to look at evidence? They keep denying to look at the evidence
Boe Lynn Bowen
Boe Lynn Bowen answered on Jun 16, 2021

This is a very complicated questions that involves multiple levels of issues.

Deadlines and how the evidence was obtained, type of case and the judge all just a few variables that can keep evidence out.

I encourage you to contact an attorney to discuss your case in detail as it...
Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Child Support and Divorce for New York on
Q: My spouse refuses to abide by our divorce agreement and pay for what he agreed to pay, what court or recourse do I have.
Lawrence Allen Weinreich
Lawrence Allen Weinreich answered on Jun 16, 2021

You can file a violation of support petition in Family Court for spousal and child support or you can file a motion for contempt in Supreme Court.

3 Answers | Asked in Divorce for Georgia on
Q: I'm unemployed due to a business failure and considering a divorce. My wife still makes 100k.

Is there any advantage or disadvantage to getting a divorce while unemployed? I keep hearing very different opinions on this issue. Who's right?

Michael D. Birchmore
Michael D. Birchmore answered on Jun 16, 2021

We don't know. More information is needed. Are there children involved? What assets will be fought over? Who is paying the family's bills right now? Do you live in the same house? What are you doing to get back on your feet?

I can say that if you file for divorce now, the...
Read more »

View More Answers

2 Answers | Asked in Divorce and Immigration Law for Tennessee on
Q: Can a sponsor to the United States take advantage of an immigrant?

Yes, I am a 30 year old man who has been married to a 65 year old woman who is a very successful financial advisor for around 2 years now. On March 20th of this year, I immigrated to the United States. She is also my sponsor to the United States. As I arrived in Utah, United States where she is... Read more »

Rehim Babaoglu
Rehim Babaoglu answered on Jun 16, 2021

It's a little difficult to answer your question, because there is a lot of information that is missing. I am assuming that you have a two year conditional green card. I don't know if you are divorced yet. If so, you may be able to petition to keep your green card.

I would...
Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce for Georgia on
Q: I hold the mortgage both my ex and I are on the deed. When the house sells, how do we divide the equity?

I refinanced the house taking my ex-wives name off the mortgage but it remained on the deed. The only thing the divorce decree says is the we will hare the "net equity". The house is selling 6 years after the divorce. What goes in to "net" equity. My realtor says i can take... Read more »

Regina Irene Edwards
Regina Irene Edwards answered on Jun 15, 2021

If your agreement doesn't allow to deduct payments and taxes, you cannot. Net equity is sales price minus closing costs and mortgage. Deducting the payments would mean you got to live there for free for 6 years. You had to pay those somewhere.

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce for Arizona on
Q: Can I close joint accounts if neither party is depositing funds into them. Accts are carrying near zero or neg balance.
Stephen M Vincent
Stephen M Vincent answered on Jun 15, 2021

Yes, if no funds are going into them, it is OK to close and divide them. Just make sure you provide your spouse an accounting and provide your spouse half of what is in the accounts.

The concern of the Preliminary Injunction is to ensure that you don't transfer assets for the purpose...
Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Divorce for Georgia on
Q: My wife has been an alcoholic for years. Now that our youngest child just turned 14, I want a divorce.

Does claiming alcoholism as a fault have any strategic advantage? I have proof as to how it has adversely effected the kids.

Regina Irene Edwards
Regina Irene Edwards answered on Jun 15, 2021

If your 14 year old wants to love with you, that will make your case easier. If you are able to prove she has an alcohol issue, that may impact custody and parenting time.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce for Oklahoma on
Q: How do I obtain a final decree of divorce without going to court hearings?

My divorce was granted in 2016. A handwritten order was filed outlining the terms of the divorce. I, the father, was awarded sole custody and everything else was split. My lawyer passed a few days after the hearing and never filed the final decree. How do I get one and will I need a lawyer. I’d... Read more »

Anna L Self
Anna L Self answered on Jun 15, 2021

You can always represent yourself in court. You will need to draft the decree along with a custody plan and child support calculations, forward it to opposing counsel for them to approve and sign (along with your ex) and present the signed decree to the Judge. It will be up to the Judge if they... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Divorce, Family Law and Child Custody for Georgia on
Q: I committed adultery, now during divorce she is committing adultery. Will that affect Alimony? Custody?

I committed adultery and my wife filed for divorce. We are still in the middle of the divorce and now she is dating someone. Can that affect her alimony? I have proof of the guy spending the night at her house with our toddler there asleep. Can that affect custody?The case is in Georgia.

Regina Irene Edwards
Regina Irene Edwards answered on Jun 15, 2021

It likely will not affect alimony. In order for it to affect alimony, the adultery needs to be the cause of the separation. It appears that the marriage ended because of your adultery and she is dating now. Whether or not the person spending time overnight with your child there is enough to... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce and Real Estate Law for California on
Q: Can you take a spouse off the mortgage before filing for divorce?

My spouse has paid nothing for or to this house and I would like to remove them before filling for divorce. The bank still owns the deed and we are together on the mortgage but I pay everything. We've been in this house for 20 months.

Tobie Brina Waxman
Tobie Brina Waxman answered on Jun 14, 2021

You can't just remove someone's name from a mortgage (home loan). To remove someone from a home loan you have to refinance the loan. You would then need to sign a new Deed and your spouse would have to sign it too.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.