Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Education Law Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Education Law and Traffic Tickets for Ohio on
Q: a school bus stops with its flashing lights on at an intersection on my right , can i turn left away from the bus?
Andrew Popp
Andrew Popp answered on Sep 24, 2021

The answer depends on additional details. Section 4511.75 of the Ohio Revised Code spells out your obligations. (link below)

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Employment Law and Education Law for Pennsylvania on
Q: My college mandated us to get the covid-19 vaccine. We complied. Now they are utilizing wristbands to label vaccinated

Is this legal? They are using a private security company to enforce.

Maurice Mandel II
Maurice Mandel II answered on Sep 22, 2021

So far, it is not illegal. The law about Covid vaccination is in a process of constant changes due to the differing opinions of diverse groups. One day you are prohibited from appearing in public on a mask that conceals your identity and the next day you are required to wear one. Personally, I... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Employment Law, Constitutional Law, Education Law and Employment Discrimination for New York on
Q: I submitted a religious exemption that was neither approved nor denied. My job refuses to provide any accommodations

Even though it's a department of education school and the department of Ed is accommodating teachers, my job is not taking my request seriously nor are they willing to make any accommodation for my religious practice. I was told I would be placed on unpaid leave with no regard to my request... Read more »

Carrie Dyer
Carrie Dyer answered on Sep 22, 2021

Your question does not indicate what your religious accommodation request is. Whether your employer's decision to place you on an unpaid leave is unlawful depends on your accommodation request, whether your request eliminates one of the essential functions of your job, and/or causes your... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Education Law for California on
Q: Hi can a school pusish you if jaywalk in front of them off campus
Maurice Mandel II
Maurice Mandel II answered on Sep 21, 2021

Yes. You are under the protection/control of the school until you return home.

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts, Education Law and Employment Law for Arkansas on
Q: Can a school district prevent you from teaching for the next school year if you request release from your contract?

I had signed my contract in May after the district said they would take it as a resignation for anyone that did not turn in a signed contract by the end of May 2021. I have kids to support so out of fear of unemployment I signed the contract. There were teachers resigning left and right. The... Read more »

Chris W. Burks
Chris W. Burks answered on Sep 20, 2021

Thanks and you should speak to an Arkansas employment and education law attorney. The Arkansas Teacher Fair Dismissal Act does provide some protections to teachers, and many districts will release teachers from their contracts under circumstances similar to the ones you identified. By working... Read more »

3 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law and Education Law for Michigan on
Q: Can I press charges against our board of education and have them criminally prosecuted under this statue? MCL 380.1307b
Michael Zamzow
Michael Zamzow answered on Sep 17, 2021

Adding to Mr. Geers response. MCL 380.1307b together with 380.1312 is part of the prohibition on corporal punishment. And a person who has allegedly been subjected to the wrongful act, would likely raise these statutes in their civil complaint.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law and Education Law for Maryland on
Q: I have a pending asylum, can I get instate tuition. I have a work permit and a SSN. I work and pay taxes in Maryland.
Alexander Ivakhnenko
Alexander Ivakhnenko answered on Sep 13, 2021

Pending asylum does not confer any status to an asylum applicant. You are only permitted to remain in the U.S. and may receive an EAD and a Social Security Number to engage in lawful employment.

However, for the purposes of qualifying for an instate tuition you need to discuss it with the...
Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Landlord - Tenant, Personal Injury, Civil Litigation and Education Law for Florida on
Q: Can a university evict someone without compensation or notice for testing positive for COVID-19?

My vaccinated friend caught COVID-19, spread from an unvaccinated student, his next-door dorm neighbor. They have isolation dorms specifically to quarantine people and promised reservations for those who were vaccinated. The rooms are all full because they gave them to anyone who got sick instead... Read more »

Charles M.  Baron
Charles M. Baron answered on Sep 8, 2021

Your friend's rights largely depend on the terms and conditions agreed to when signing up to reside in the dorm. He therefore must schedule a consultation with an attorney and present all relevant writings for review. He can click on the Justia "Find a Lawyer" tab up top or contact... Read more »

View More Answers

2 Answers | Asked in Family Law, Education Law, Health Care Law and Juvenile Law for Georgia on
Q: Divorced 2011 ex husband is primary care giver of our 17 daughter has a med conditions an he refuses to get her diagnose

He also let her quit school at 14 Ive been fightin this for 5 yrs PLEASE IM BEGGIN FOR HELP. my child cant walk and has a 6th grade edjucation. Every time i try to do something he has me locked up or restraining order taken out on me. Please help me

Michael D. Birchmore
Michael D. Birchmore answered on Sep 7, 2021

It would appear the only way you are going to move forward is with the assistance of legal counsel. Meet with an attorney as soon as you can to discuss your options.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law, Adoption and Education Law for Michigan on
Q: can my aunt and uncle who is adopting my son in michigan let me see him without court consent if i had my rights relinq

if my rights were relinquished can my family who is adopting my son let me see him again without court consent

Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers answered on Sep 5, 2021

Depends on a lot of factors, and if the adoption is finalized.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Education Law for Alabama on
Q: It's a wood storage building licensed as a gun store business I cut into the back of it with a skill saw I never entered

Is it a 3rd degree burglary in Alabama I never entered or took anything I only damaged the building by cutting a square in the back of it I gave up and left when I couldn't get into it

Nelson Craig Johnson
Nelson Craig Johnson answered on Aug 30, 2021

(a) A person commits the crime of burglary in the third degree if any of the following occur:

(1) He or she knowingly enters or remains unlawfully in a dwelling with the intent to commit a crime therein;

(2) He or she knowingly enters or remains unlawfully in an occupied building...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Education Law for Maryland on
Q: I enrolled and registered my two children to attend Annandale Christian School, (ACS), Laurel for 2021/22 School.

I enrolled and registered my two children to attend Annandale Christian School, (ACS), Laurel for 2021/22 School year in March which I have subsequently canceled in July. However ACS has invited my attention to a clause in the contract which was not properly explained to me at the time of signing... Read more »

Mark Oakley
Mark Oakley answered on Aug 14, 2021

This forum is not designed for direct solicitation for hiring lawyers, but you are free to search the site to locate a lawyer and then contact that lawyer to discuss potential engagement of ther services. As for your specific issue, the Maryland Court of Appeals addressed an almost identical... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Copyright and Education Law for Kentucky on
Q: Can I scan a book and share with my students virtually?

I'm an educator, and I have purchased a class set of books for the year. Due to COVID, we had to go virtual. Am I able to scan the book and share exclusively with my class? There is no digital copy for purchase.

Marcos Garciaacosta
Marcos Garciaacosta answered on Aug 10, 2021

Ask the publisher

They may be able to grant you a license, or offer a cheap royalty

3 Answers | Asked in Products Liability, Education Law and Patents (Intellectual Property) on
Q: I am having a idea regarding piezoelectric compression and generating electicity

Its regarding the high pressure creating between two plates with natural day to dya life machins ,which will produce us electricity

Kevin E. Flynn
Kevin E. Flynn answered on Aug 3, 2021

First, I would not share any additional details in a public forum.

Second, you are going to want to chose a patent attorney with the relevant technical background. I am not sure whether that is physics or material sciences. There are many patent attorneys with Ph.D. level of education in...
Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Education Law for Pennsylvania on
Q: Hi. Iam trying to convince my sons school district to allow his RBT to come to school and they wont budge?

My son is non verbal and moderate on the AUTISM scale. He has attention, and elopement issues, he needs a qualified Registered Behavior Therapist to work with him and get him to work in a regular classroom on task and according to schedule. He needs an IEP but he also needs accommodations like an... Read more »

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing answered on Jul 30, 2021

Contact the Disability Law Center in Philadelphia. They work for free.

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts, Civil Rights, Education Law and Small Claims for Ohio on
Q: Can my private university mandate me to get vaccinated after I’ve been accepted, paid money, and told me that I don’t?

They told us we did NOT have to get vaccinated then an hour later told us that we DO need to get vaccinated against COVID-19. I was accepted for a month and a half with a down payment before I was informed that I needed to get the COVID vaccine, so now it’s crunch time and I either get the shot... Read more »

Bruce Martin Broyles
Bruce Martin Broyles answered on Jul 26, 2021

I have not personally looked up the resources, but it is my understanding that the vaccine has not received final approval from the FDA.

The emergency use of an unapproved medicine is covered by 21 U.S. Code § 360bbb–3 - Authorization for medical products for use in emergencies. A...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Tax Law and Education Law for New York on
Q: NYS. Does the school district have the right to look at tax returns of students guardians?

Natural parent moving out of district. Signing over guardianship to the person still living in district. District is asking who will claim child on this years tax return. Does the district have the right to view either parent or guardians tax returns?

Michael David Siegel
Michael David Siegel answered on Jul 20, 2021

Absolutely. That is how they prevent the fraud of a non-resident student trying to get a better school.

1 Answer | Asked in Education Law and Personal Injury for Georgia on
Q: If my husband fell at a high school and had to have surgery, is the school liable?
Cory D. Raines
Cory D. Raines answered on Jul 16, 2021

Because of sovereign immunity, it is difficult to sue state departments and agencies, including high schools in Georgia for injuries sustained while on their property. The Constitution of the State of Georgia provides that “sovereign immunity extends to the state and all of its departments and... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Education Law and Personal Injury on
Q: My son broke his arm on a bouncy thing his school rented for the day when it toppled over. Do we have a claim?

My son's school rented inflatable bouncy equipment for the kids to jump on. One of them included a slide and an area to climb up to reach the top of the slide. While my son was on the top of it about to slide down, the entire thing, which was more than one story high, tipped over onto its... Read more »

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Jul 4, 2021

I'm sorry this happened, but am happy to hear that your son's arm is healing well. Yes, you could have a case. As a starting point, you could reach out to injury attorneys in the state where this took place (a state is not mentioned in the description) to discuss the accident in further... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights and Education Law for California on
Q: Can a school district in California require students with disabilities to wear a face mask to attend school?

Can a school district require students with disabilities to wear a face mask to attend school? Even with a doctors note stating they can not wear a mask due to their health/disability? What about for bus transportation? Can the school tell the student they can not ride the school bus if they... Read more »

Louis George Fazzi
Louis George Fazzi answered on Jun 29, 2021

This is a complex issue. There are a number of variables which haven't been addressed, such as the age of the student; whether the student can be or has been vaccinated against Covid19; and what exactly is the nature of the student's disability. Without knowing what these variables are,... Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.