Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Elder Law Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Elder Law and Landlord - Tenant for Kansas on
Q: I rent my home, my 25 year-old lives w/me (he is on the lease). I want him removed from the lease. What are my options?

There are times when I'm in fear of my safety. also, my 73 year-old mother lives with me and he is verbally abusive to us both. i just would like to know what my options are?

Scott C. Stockwell
Scott C. Stockwell answered on Dec 6, 2021

Kansas has a protection from abuse process "to provide quick and immediate protection." The Kansas Judicial system has created a one-stop portal website. But if you think your website viewing is being monitored or checked by the person from whom you do not feel safe, you should call 911... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Personal Injury, Civil Litigation and Elder Law for Maine on
Q: I’ve been staying at my mother’s apartment, temporarily. She and her neighbor, across the hall, both in their 80’s, were

cordial, but not close. It was revealed, without a doubt, this neighbor placed a false complaint to the state’s elderly abuse hotline naming me as the culprit. Last week, we woke early to welcome a caseworker and police investigator into the apartment. They both explained,“we get many calls out... Read more »

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Dec 5, 2021

A Maine attorney could advise best, but your question remains open for two weeks. In a general textbook sense, it's possible the situation could be characterized as one involving defamation, where false statements result in someone suffering damages to their dignitary interests. But from a... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law and Elder Law for Ohio on
Q: My mom is 79. She has giving up on the will to live, but will not give my 3 sisters or I power of Attorney

She sits in her own Feeses & Filth until one of us show up & check on her.

She still has her mind, but we want to know what we can do to get her help. Everyone says without Power of Attorney we cant do anything.

What can we do

Joseph Jaap
Joseph Jaap answered on Nov 29, 2021

You can file for a guardianship in the probate court. Check the probate court web site for the guardianship process, and use the Find a Lawyer tab to retain a local probate attorney who handles guardianships to advise you. You can also call local senior services to assist until the the... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Collections and Elder Law for Virginia on
Q: My father was a victim of fraud I am now his POA. I need to obtain legal assistance to sort through corrective action.

My father was involved in a Publishers Clearing House scam. Police reports were filed and now receiving numerous letters from attorneys to pay back credit card debt. Need significant assistance to navigate.

Steven Krieger
Steven Krieger answered on Nov 26, 2021

Many credit card companies have some type of fraud department that investigates these claims, but if not, I'm sure you could hire a lawyer to respond to the attorneys who are reaching out. I'm sure anyone who responds would be happy to help and will need to see the letters you've... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Estate Planning, Collections, Elder Law and Probate for Arkansas on
Q: My grandfather passed away last year. My mother is executor of his estate. My grandmother is alive. He had a will.

I was supposed to receive an inheritance. My mother claims that I cannot receive that until my grandmother passes away. My brother received a new truck and boat that I’m aware of. Is she lying to me ? I have a distant relationship with my mom, but it just seems as though she is flat out lying to... Read more »

Nina Whitehurst
Nina Whitehurst answered on Nov 26, 2021

You can take a look at the will yourself. Go to the probate court and request a copy.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Elder Law and Health Care Law for Michigan on
Q: Are we able to retain ownership of our home if we qualify for Medicaid; what is the max. income to qualify for Medicaid?

Are there other assets Medicaid can take from our estate?

Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers answered on Nov 24, 2021

Depends on who you mean by "we" and who would be the qualifying person for Medicaid. Ordinarily, the value of the primary residence is exempt for qualification purposes; you can "keep" it while the person is alive. However, once a person dies, the state may seek to recover what... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Estate Planning, Banking, Collections and Elder Law for Utah on
Q: Is the surviving spouse responsible for the debts of the deceased spouse
Wesley Winsor
Wesley Winsor answered on Nov 22, 2021

Yes and no. Nor for personal debts, student loan debts, credit card debts etc. but yes to medical bills. The creditors have a right to make a claim against his estate and the estate has an obligation to pay it as long as the assets in the estate are over and above the exemption amount. The... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law, Criminal Law and Elder Law for California on
Q: My ex-husband is 64 with advanced dementia. His girlfriend married him 6 weeks ago My daughter needs help to annul it.

His girlfriend cashed out his 401K and used his credit. She refused to let anyone talk to him over the past 2 yrs. She refused to take him to the doctors. He was wandering around daily in his Camptonville neighborhood. He has gone missing several times. My daughters and I flew out to check on him... Read more »

Dale S. Gribow
Dale S. Gribow answered on Nov 19, 2021

more info is needed.

this is not a criminal case unless you are referring to someone to represent his new wife.

make an appointment with a local lawyer in your area.......maybe one who does conservatorship etc???

1 Answer | Asked in Real Estate Law, Elder Law and Landlord - Tenant for Florida on
Q: Does a successor agent of a durable POA have the right to file a unlawful detainer summons original agent is still actin

My aunt is trying to have me evicted from my grandmother's property against her wishes. She forged her name as the plaintiff on the summons but filled out the details in her own name. That's what I wrote in my answer. However we had a hearing where my aunt gave the judge a paper I did not... Read more »

Barry W. Kaufman
Barry W. Kaufman answered on Nov 18, 2021

Stop playing lawyer and hire one.

1 Answer | Asked in Elder Law for Michigan on
Q: Hello, my Mother is 90 years old. She is in a long term care facility. She is unable to make decisions for herself.
Don L Rosenberg
Don L Rosenberg answered on Nov 15, 2021

I know dealing with your mother's health challenge especially under a pandemic. If your mother cannot make decisions for herself and there isn't a health care power of attorney, I am afraid you will need to become her guardian in probate court to make her care, custody, day to day, end... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Elder Law for Tennessee on
Q: My Uncle was pressured into signing a quitdeed to a "friend" while my Uncle was heavily medicated and in a nursing rehab

He now has his strength back and claims he does not remember the attorney coming to the nursing facility but remembers constantly being pressured to sign his property over prior to rehab. My uncle is 83 years old and never wanted to sign his property over to anyone. What can he do to reclaim his... Read more »

Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery answered on Nov 10, 2021

How much Property is involved? Failure of Consideration and Fraud may be factors as apparently he has not been adjudicated incompetent. Was the attorney the draftsman and notary? Many facts and whatever witnesses are available will have to be put together. Time is a serious factor, especially... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Estate Planning, Real Estate Law, Elder Law and Probate for Kentucky on
Q: Any way to challenge a deed transfer from 7 years ago.

Family farm was deeded to stepmother 7 years ago. Just finding out after my father’s death last month. So far no known will. Supposed will from 20+ years ago per fathers conversation with son. Significant isolation of father by stepmother. She had power of attorney. He had significant history... Read more »

Timothy Denison
Timothy Denison answered on Nov 5, 2021

You may be able to challenge it depending when you learned about the problem.

1 Answer | Asked in Elder Law and Nursing Home Abuse for Florida on
Q: In Florida, Can we be sued if we video record home health aid? The agency is asking for the clip of the assault.

We’ve video recorded an physical aggressive behavior of the Caregiver toward elderly man and filled a report to Adult protective services about the incident. The private home care agency wants the video clip. I don’t believe I should sent it to the accused agency. Advise?

Michael  Mayoral
Michael Mayoral answered on Nov 4, 2021

I handle ALF cases and this is unfortunately quite common. You should immediately contact an attorney who handles ALF (Assisted Living Facility) and Nursing Home Negligence cases. This is valuable evidence which may form the basis of a claim against them. In Florida, there is something called the... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law, Elder Law and Health Care Law for Maryland on
Q: I'm being accused of elderly abuse of my mother, only because I will no send thousands of dollars out for free. What now

He husband passed Oct 16, 2021 Now he's gone, I'm the bad one because I won't send 20,000 dollars immediately after his passing

Mark Oakley
Mark Oakley answered on Nov 4, 2021

If you are being charged with a crime by the police or prosecuting authorities of the state, hire a criminal defense lawyer. If some family member or other person is just accusing you of elder abuse but is not an authorized representative of the State or local government having authority over... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Estate Planning and Elder Law for Arizona on
Q: If your lawyer passes what happens to all his files do they go to someone else or do they get thrown out
Nina Whitehurst
Nina Whitehurst answered on Oct 26, 2021

Normally the attorney will have designated another attorney to take over his files when he passes. If not, then a court will usually get involved to appoint an attorney to take over the files. The designated attorney takes custody of the files and goes through them and does his best to return all... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Elder Law for New York on
Q: Is my sister committing elder abuse?

She has POA. She has sold some of our 91 yr old mom's property & given the $ to her daughter. She's giving Mom's house to her son & spending Mom's money to renovate it first. She leaves Mom alone for days with the same guy (42 yrs old & unmedicated bipolar) who... Read more »

Benjamin Z. Katz
Benjamin Z. Katz answered on Oct 13, 2021

It sounds like financial abuse at the very least. If Adult Protective Services are not responding, you can try your county’s District Attorney’s offices. Depending upon where you live, they may have a unit dedicated to elder abuse.

1 Answer | Asked in Real Estate Law and Elder Law for Ohio on
Q: If I go 50/50 on a house with my parents and they pay the mortgage to me as rent, could Medicaid put a lien on it?

My parents are in their 70s and my father isn't in the best health.

Andrew Popp
Andrew Popp answered on Oct 12, 2021

You're walking a fine line here. Ohio Medicaid presumes that transfers to family members are "improper" under the Medicaid rules. The burden is on you to prove otherwise.

Issue 1: Could Medicaid put a lien on the house? - It depends on how title to the home is held. If...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Elder Law for Michigan on
Q: How can I or one of my siblings get Financial and Medical Power of Attorney for our mother and her wife in Michigan?

They are about to be evicted from their apartment and keep getting in financial difficulties where they need money from us. We have asked them to let one of us take over their finances before, but they declined. They both have many serious medical issues, but don't follow through with... Read more »

Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers answered on Oct 11, 2021

Your concerns suggest a need for more than just powers of attorney, which are revocable at any time by the principle. You may need to explore guardianship, which is a more permanent arrangement, and actually divests your mother from being legally able to make her own decisions. It is unclear though... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Elder Law for Ohio on
Q: Can I call 911 from outside a nursing home to pick up my dad
Matthew Williams
Matthew Williams answered on Oct 5, 2021

Anyone can call 911 for any reason. Whether they will remove your dad from the nursing home depends upon whether they discover a problem when they arrive.

1 Answer | Asked in Elder Law for Maryland on
Q: What if my husband is in a facility

What if my husband is in a facility

Mark Oakley
Mark Oakley answered on Sep 25, 2021

You need to be more specific as to what your concern or issue is. What about your husband being in a "facility" (medical facility? prison? mental health hospital?) causes you to need advice about what to do?

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.