Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Federal Crimes Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Federal Crimes, Gov & Administrative Law and Juvenile Law for Alabama on
Q: Can a minor be placed on a national watchlist? Or any watchlist in general?


Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing answered on Jun 23, 2021

You say "any watchlist"-- a minor can be a person of interest to criminal justice agencies.

A minor could be on a no fly list.

If you are concerned that you are, you would want to avoid social media of any type, limit emails, and consult with a criminal defense attorney.

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation, Criminal Law, Federal Crimes and Traffic Tickets for Rhode Island on
Q: If I live in CT & got a ticket in Rhode island. I would like to fight it in court. Do RI or CT laws apply 2 me in court

I have been driving 2 years, I have a clean record, great credit.

Randy Bryan Ligh
Randy Bryan Ligh answered on Jun 23, 2021

Traffic ticket issued in Rhode Island so you are under the jurisdiction and law of Rhode Island. It is recommended that you contact a Rhode Island traffic ticket attorney to discuss your matter and options----depending on the circumstances, you might be able to hire the RI attorney and he might be... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law, Federal Crimes, Identity Theft and Stockbroker Fraud for California on
Q: Who investigates false documents and fraud done to the deceased

Yeah because I have reason to believe that my father's name was changed my mother's name was changed and then they made everything look that way now people are benefiting from everything that's written on the story and then it appears that my father and my mother the identity was... Read more »

Joseph Abrams
Joseph Abrams answered on Jun 20, 2021

Most fraud offenses can be investigated by either local or federal authorities. If you have evidence of a criminal fraud or identity theft, you can begin by reporting that evidence to either your local police department of FBI field office.

- Law Office of Joseph Abrams, Anaheim, CA

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Federal Crimes for Texas on
Q: Can a case be thrown out if taken to trial if the officer that gave the ticket is fired

It's a felony case

Kiele Linroth Pace
Kiele Linroth Pace answered on Jun 18, 2021

There are no felony tickets in Texas. A fired officer doesn't AUTOMATICALLY result in dismissed charges. The prosecutor will decide whether the officer's testimony is needed, whether the reason for the firing implicates the officer's credibility, and the quality of any other... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Federal Crimes for Florida on
Q: Can I be a MMJ Patient and live in a residence with someone who owns guns? I do not personally own any of the firearms.

The guns are locked in a safe, which I do not have access to the key. The only guns available are on display and date back to around the 1850-1900 if I had to guess. Will any legal troubles surface for my grandfather or me if I have a MMJ card?

Terrence H Thorgaard
Terrence H Thorgaard answered on Jun 16, 2021

No; I'm reasonably certain that the fact that you have a Medical Marijuana Card doesn't disqualify you from possessing firearms. The statute concerning this is quite extensive; you might want to read it here:... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Federal Crimes and Gov & Administrative Law for Indiana on
Q: My husband has federal court coming up and on the court docket it has Plaintiff: USA Defendant: (a different name.

It has my husbands co-defendant)

My question is why is that like that?

Matthew Williams
Matthew Williams answered on Jun 14, 2021

It really depends where on the docket you are looking, but case captions are generally limited to one name. So you'll often see USA v. John Doe, et al. The et al. stands for everyone else. Some cases have lots of defendants and it would make things awfully cumbersome if they all had to be... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Federal Crimes for Pennsylvania on
Q: Can you get a fire arm with a f3 child endangerment ?
Michael Ryan Seward
Michael Ryan Seward answered on Jun 12, 2021

A person with a any felony conviction on the criminal history would be required to answer "yes" to the question about criminal convictions on the ATF form used when purchasing a firearm. This would preclude someone from buying, and would cause a failure to pass the PICS instant background check.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Federal Crimes for Texas on
Q: Can she get the charges dismissed if the drivers on the affidavit saying she knew nothing about the drugs
Kiele Linroth Pace
Kiele Linroth Pace answered on Jun 10, 2021

Assuming this is an extension of the motorcycle question... It is the prosecutor's job to decide which cases to pursue and which to dismiss. An affidavit might help, or it might not... depending on how the prosecutor reacts to the contents of the affidavit. It might also help if the... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Libel & Slander, Criminal Law and Federal Crimes for Texas on
Q: My friends were on a motorcycle and the driver had a half oz of meth in his backpack. Passenger didn’t know about

Passenger has never had a ticket on her record and worked for the APS of Texas recently

Kiele Linroth Pace
Kiele Linroth Pace answered on Jun 10, 2021

OK, but what is the question? Reading between the lines it seems like the passenger was charged with Possession of a Controlled substance and you want to know if not knowing is a defense? It can be, but it would be unwise for your friend to talk to an investigator without an attorney and an... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Family Law and Federal Crimes for New York on
Q: In family court if perjury has easily been proven, can the defendant request it to be taken to criminal court?
Lawrence Allen Weinreich
Lawrence Allen Weinreich answered on Jun 7, 2021

It can be referred to the DA by the Family court judge but is almost never done.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Federal Crimes for New Hampshire on
Q: If my son had his friend over and the friend stole a hand gun out of a lock box what could we be charged with.

The friend has changed his story 3 times already from saying my son gave them to him to he bought them from him or jumped him and took them

Leonard D. Harden
Leonard D. Harden answered on Jun 5, 2021

It is impossible to know if any charges could be brought without more information. You should contact a defense attorney and provide more background.

It is always a good idea not to provide any statement to the police, indicating you have nothing to say is a good idea in almost all scenarios.

1 Answer | Asked in Cannabis & Marijuana Law, Criminal Law and Federal Crimes for Pennsylvania on
Q: Could I get a medical marijuana card for myself in Pennsylvania, if my husband has guns in our home?

I have no guns registered in my name.

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing answered on Jun 4, 2021

There would be nothing to prohibit that.

Q: What kind of lawyer handles criminal hospital negligence? The intent to deceive, leaving patient under continous duress.

Hospitals knowledge of errors made after asking patient for her wrist, to look at ID Bracelet. Sudden room change, bed and all down hall across from psychiatrists/nursing staff front desk. Reason? Was told a emergency came in. The emergency discovered years later due to fraud concealment and... Read more »

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Jun 4, 2021

An attorney who works with medical malpractice cases would be able to evaluate such a case. It could sometimes require a considerable level of evaluation to determine whether negligence rises to the level of criminal negligence. This appears to be a complex case and would likely require detailed... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Federal Crimes and Health Care Law for Idaho on
Q: Is this Sudafed a controlled substance according to Idaho statute?

37-2707. (g) Immediate precursors.

Except that any combination or compound containing ephedrine,or any of its salts and isomers,or phenylpropanolamine or its salts and isomers,or pseudoephedrine,or any of its salts and isomers which is prepared for dis-pensing or over-the-counter... Read more »

Kevin M Rogers
Kevin M Rogers answered on Jun 3, 2021

Yes. Sudafed is a controlled substance, following the Idaho Legislature's "knee jerk" reaction to the methamphetamine deluge of the 90's. Idaho Code 37-3303 says:

It shall be unlawful for any retailer to knowingly sell, transfer or otherwise furnish in a single day a...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Domestic Violence, Federal Crimes, Libel & Slander and Child Custody for Oregon on
Q: My wife assaulted me, she filed a false restraining order and kidnapped our kids and is using emotional blackmail.

She emotionally blackmailed me into not submitting any evidence at the trial, so she was found innocent. Now she is using the restraining order and the threat of arrest as blackmail to take full custody of our children despite me offering several reasonable alternatives involving joint custody. Can... Read more »

Gregory L Abbott
Gregory L Abbott answered on May 31, 2021

It is not clear exactly where things currently stand. It sounds as if she assaulted you, was charged, went to a trial in which you failed to testify to the facts and she was found not guilty. She also obtained a restraining order against you prohibiting you from having contact with her or your... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Federal Crimes for Mississippi on
Q: Sell, delivery, transfer of stolen firearm is what I was charged with gun had no firing pin will this help my case
Arthur Calderon
Arthur Calderon answered on May 30, 2021

Likely not. Even if it does not have a firing pin, usually it is still treated as a gun transaction. Your best bet it going to be to get with an experienced criminal defense lawyer to see what the facts of your case are and see what can be done to help you out.

1 Answer | Asked in Federal Crimes, Criminal Law and Divorce for Mississippi on
Q: I have a friend and he is in jail for a 10000 felony theft of property n a attempt of Court charge how long do you think

Phil Phillips in Mississippi Hernando Jail

Arthur Calderon
Arthur Calderon answered on May 30, 2021

It really depends on where he is at in the process. If he has not been indicted and was not already out on a felony bond, then he should be eligible for bond now. It is in your friend's best interest that he contact an experienced criminal defense lawyer so that he can talk about the facts of... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Identity Theft, Criminal Law and Federal Crimes for Kentucky on
Q: Hey I wanted to know what do I need to prove someone stole someone credit card Info and used it online to make purchase

We reviewed the footage and we have video of him putting his phone on the counter next to the computer and waving the cards over it is that enough proof?

Timothy Denison
Timothy Denison answered on May 29, 2021

Should be, especially if he left with the merchandise and you have the coinciding register receipts for the transaction.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Federal Crimes and Internet Law for Arizona on
Q: Is this pediatricians encouraging parents to violate cp laws?

"Mink says pediatricians should ask parents to video-tape the episodes before performing invasive and often expensive tests that could be unnecessary."

Um.... Doesn't us code 2252 and 2251 prohibit people from recording their children engaging in these types of activities?... Read more »

Mike Branum
Mike Branum answered on May 28, 2021

If a pediatrician asked a parent to videotape a behavior for diagnostic purposes, I believe a court would find such recording an exception to any law prohibiting such. If the person doing the recording was my client, I would ensure it is delivered to the physician as soon as possible after... Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.