Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Florida Election Law Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Election Law for Florida on
Q: Is there a way to Appeal there corrupt decision?

I had three witnesses they would not let me even start talking? I am 66 years old and have seen alot but this was corruption at its finest. I cannot afford an attorney because we are trying to buy a home.

Terrence H Thorgaard
Terrence H Thorgaard answered on Nov 8, 2021

If you end up in prison, you won't need to buy a home. Get an attorney.

1 Answer | Asked in Election Law and Employment Discrimination for Florida on
Q: How can I get the work I did for and get paid? I just want what was offered to me, what I worked for.

My husband and I moved to Tampa because one of his friends was opening a restaurant, he offered him a partnership, but after us working for almost two months, he gave both of us a W2. Then we realized it was never his intention to treat us as equals. The biggest problem is me, he told me that he... Read more »

Mitchell Feldman
Mitchell Feldman answered on Apr 23, 2021

You should be paid for all hours worked and at rates which are both consistent with the FLSA, and florida wage law and per any contractual promise. You have rights. Find a wage and hour lawyer or reach out to us. Most wage and hour employees, employment lawyers will be glad to review all of... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Election Law, Gov & Administrative Law, Government Contracts and Public Benefits for Florida on
Q: My ex stated that she “had dirt” on me after I asked her to stop communicating with me. What can I do?

I stated today that I no longer wished to continue communication with my Ex. She stated that she did not plan on it so I took that as an agreement. I stated that if she continued communication I would pursue legal action and she said that she “had dirt on me too” when I never stated that I... Read more »

Charles M.  Baron
Charles M. Baron answered on Mar 15, 2021

You asked if it's a threat, but not all threats are illegal. If she is merely saying or implying, "If you sue me, bad things about you will be revealed", there's nothing unlawful about that threat. Of course, if she makes false statements to third parties that are damaging to... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Election Law for Florida on
Q: On the Constitution and election law:

How do I best respond to someone saying: "Apparently EVERYONE missed the fact that ALL early and mail-in ballots were illegally cast and must be void under federal law 2 USC 7 and 3 USC 1." ?

I've searched for an adequate answer but cannot find one.

Terrence H Thorgaard
Terrence H Thorgaard answered on Feb 2, 2021

Start by reading the pertinent federal statutes. Try here:

Keep in mind that most election law is a matter of state law and therefore the US Code might not apply.

1 Answer | Asked in Election Law for Florida on
Q: Can I sue the Supreme court for not flipping election to Trump. 522 us 67 Foster v. Love 1997
Terrence H Thorgaard
Terrence H Thorgaard answered on Dec 8, 2020

No, you can't sue the Supreme Court on the basis of that case. But if you can show that one or more states has violated federal statute, it might be possible to sue those states, provided that you do it before the "safe harbor" deadline which will happen in a few days.

1 Answer | Asked in Election Law, Gov & Administrative Law and Municipal Law for Florida on
Q: How can I place an item to be voted on in a city?

I would like to change the laws of the municipality by placing it on the ballot for the upcoming elections.

Charles M.  Baron
Charles M. Baron answered on Sep 14, 2020

You must find out whether your city has a process for petitioning to place a referendum on the ballot (also called initiative petition), and if so, what the petition requirements are (method, number of signatures needed, time restrictions, etc.). I would start out by calling the City Clerk's... Read more »

3 Answers | Asked in Election Law, Employment Discrimination and Employment Law for Florida on
Q: Are you required to pay your employer back for something when you never signed a contract saying you would?

My employer paid for the license for the position he hired me for. I am now moving to another office due to moving and he is making me pay him back but I never signed any contract stating I had to pay him back for said license.

Bruce Alexander Minnick
Bruce Alexander Minnick answered on Aug 5, 2020

Rather than be concerned about whether you should have to repay your employer you should be more concerned about being terminated if you refuse. Florida employers can terminate employees at any time for any reason.

View More Answers

2 Answers | Asked in Civil Rights, Election Law, Gov & Administrative Law and Public Benefits for Florida on
Q: DMV says I need a birth certificate to get photo ID, DOH says I need photo ID for birth certificate. What should I do?

My driver's license is expired. I tried renewing online and was told I needed to show a copy of my birth certificate. I do not have a "valid" copy of a birth certificate. For those who are not aware, the Florida DMV is currently in the same state of collapse as most of their other... Read more »

Terrence H Thorgaard
Terrence H Thorgaard answered on Aug 4, 2020

Are you indicating that you have neither? How old are you?

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights and Election Law for Florida on
Q: Can I demand to see the results of a ballot scan after voting?

I live in Florida. We have paper ballots that are scanned by a machine when submitted. During the midterm elections, I asked the person administering the scanning machine if I could see the electronic results after I submitted my paper ballot. There had been several reports nation-wide of voting... Read more »

Charles M.  Baron
Charles M. Baron answered on Nov 7, 2018

The poll workers cannot access the votes, and there would be no way to confirm how you voted, since all votes are anonymous. You can check ALL recorded votes by submitting a public records request to your county elections department. After a certain point in time, all of those paper ballots will... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Election Law for Florida on
Q: Can a candidate switch parties during an election?
Terrence H Thorgaard
Terrence H Thorgaard answered on Jun 17, 2017

Yes, but I'm guessing your question relates to such things as whether the candidate will remain on the ballot.

1 Answer | Asked in Election Law for Florida on
Q: A County Republican Executive Committee has created an addition stipulation through a provision in the CCREC

Bylaws when Committeemen/women are declared vacant and will be replaced,

i.e.,that they must attend 2/3's of the meetings of the County Executive Committee. Do local RECs have this authority or do not have the authority to create such additional stipulations beyond those circumstances... Read more »

Robert Jason De Groot
Robert Jason De Groot answered on Aug 9, 2015

This question would require research on my part, and probably on most attorney's parts.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.