Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Georgia Contracts Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Contracts, Employment Law and Business Law for Georgia on
Q: I owe my salon owner a lump sum that i signed and agreed to pay on august 1, but i don’t have the money yet. What to do?

My kids father and i split up so I’m moving to another city with my kids by force to live with my family. Which caused me a great setback.

Rhiannon Herbert
Rhiannon Herbert answered on Aug 3, 2021

You should reach out to the salon owner and explain your situation. If you can't pay the money owed in a lump sum, it may be possible to work out a payment plan where you pay in multiple installments.

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts for Georgia on
Q: My boyfriend was signed to a major recording label as a minor , to get his record deal money his parents had to sign off

On the contract because he was underaged. Now my boyfriend is 20 and would like the remainder of his money. His parents are moving his money from out his account so he can’t use it unless they give him permission. Is there any way for him to receive what he earned?

Cory D. Raines
Cory D. Raines answered on Jul 20, 2021

Great question. Since he was a minor at the time, his parents would have had to give their permission for him to be legally bound by the agreement. Additionally, they would most likely be the ones receiving any money from the agreement, with the understanding that once he becomes 18, that... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Adoption, Family Law, Contracts and Civil Rights for Georgia on
Q: What can we do about our Post Adoption Contact Agreement?

I’m a birth father that placed my daughter for adoption along with the birth mother. We signed a Post Adoption Contact Agreement thinking it would keep us in touch with our daughter through the adoptive parents. I recently learned that they never signed an agreement and therefore don’t have to... Read more »

Homer P Jordan IV
Homer P Jordan IV answered on Jun 22, 2021

Did you work with an attorney? You should give your attorney a call to get to the bottom of this and why if this is what you wanted how it was overlooked. If you don’t want to work with the same attorney you can consult with another attorney who can review the facts of the case to determine if... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts, Landlord - Tenant and Real Estate Law for Georgia on
Q: I recently just signed a lease and I called them and they said I had to pay the full rent or find someone to replace me

What do I do ??? I really don’t feel prepared to move in I didn’t really think it through and this is a student apt

Michael D. Birchmore
Michael D. Birchmore answered on Jun 7, 2021

Well, if you are an adult and you signed the lease, you are likely to be bound to it. The LL is simply trying to collect the rent for the apartment. It can be from your or someone else.

1 Answer | Asked in Business Formation, Business Law, Civil Litigation and Contracts for Georgia on
Q: I signed a partnership agreement to start a new company. How do I back out before it gets started?

I signed a agreement to start a company. Nothing has been filed/registered/, the business does not yet exist. How do I back out of the agreement? I no longer have the financial assets to start one. My “partner” claims he signed the agreement thinking it was an already existing company. However... Read more »

Michael D. Birchmore
Michael D. Birchmore answered on Jun 3, 2021

Honestly? Anytime a person engages in drafting their own legal documents without the aid of an experienced attorney, that person has made a mistake. You should meet with a business attorney now to see what, if anything, you are now facing that will be harmful to you and whether it can be... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Real Estate Law, Contracts, Products Liability and Insurance Defense for Georgia on
Q: I had all my water lines replaced about 10 months ago. I had a leak that ruined my floor. Am I liable or is the company

They replaced my pipes about 10 months ago and said they couldn't get to one area, so they just tied into the existing pipe. I discovered a leak about a week ago and they came to fix the problem yesterday. The fitting from where they connected to the old pipe burst and caused water damage and... Read more »

Michael D. Birchmore
Michael D. Birchmore answered on Apr 19, 2021

No way to know online and without an inspection. However, it would seem that the problem was the pressure brought in by the new line was too much for the old line to handle. Professionals should know this. Yet, it appears that you knew about it and gave your consent to proceed.

Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation and Contracts for Georgia on
Q: I own a horse and my barn made a lease contract on her and I never saw or signed a contract, do I have to comply?

I was talking to the manager about leasing my horse. She said she’d be happy to help me out. All the sudden I go to the barn and I’m told I can’t do anything with my horse because she is leased on a contract I’ve never signed or read. She is also making money off this contract which I feel... Read more »

Michael D. Birchmore
Michael D. Birchmore answered on Apr 5, 2021

Meet with a contracts/business law attorney and show the contract there. We really cannot provide dependable information to you when we have not read the agreement's terms.

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts, Estate Planning, Civil Litigation and Probate for Georgia on
Q: My fiance died. We lived in the home together but his mother is cosigner. She stole our bed and won't let me have it.

What do I do to get it back? He died in that bed with me.

Homer P Jordan IV
Homer P Jordan IV answered on Mar 15, 2021

My condolences regarding your fiancé passing. You may want to try asking her nicely if you can have it simply because it has sentimental value to you.

1 Answer | Asked in Business Law, Contracts and Employment Law for Georgia on
Q: Noncompete enforceable? Sold my Georgia business, sale contract says Pennsylvania jurisdiction, 4 employees in GA now

Never did Bill of Sale, only an asset purchase agreement. They breached multiple items of the sale agreement. Have asset sale agreement and employment agreement with Buyer. They changed me from 20 hrs/week salaried manager to hourly worker as needed and haven’t given me any work in two weeks... Read more »

Paul C. Jensen Jr.
Paul C. Jensen Jr. answered on Feb 27, 2021

It depends. Both Georgia and Pennsylvania courts will enforce valid restrictive covenants. Generally, to be enforceable, non-compete agreements must be reasonable as to time, geography, and activities restricted. In addition, courts are generally more tolerant of broad restrictions in a non-compete... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Family Law and Contracts for Georgia on
Q: If hubby and wife buy a house while they are married and he signs a paper that says if we ever get a divorce wife keeps

The House will that be legit and stand in court for wife to keep the house? Will the paperwork need to be notarized for the court to consider it? Will it even be considered or granted?

Homer P Jordan IV
Homer P Jordan IV answered on Feb 9, 2021

If they are married and buying a house together then it should likely be considered marital asset and the court would split it, along with the other assets. If you want a prenuptial type of agreement regarding the house, or anything else, you should consult with an attorney who can help you with... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts and Small Claims for Georgia on
Q: Is a verbal agreement binding if it is unfair?

I was asked to paint a sign by my now former employer. I said I thought I could do it for less than a quarter of what the job was worth but it took a lot longer and was much harder. Then she fired me so I billed her a fair amount. She says I already agreed to the low amount. Did I? She knows the... Read more »

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Dec 31, 2020

A Georgia attorney could advise best, but your question remains open for two weeks. This sounds like it would be a difficult matter to resolve in court. As a general premise, contracts have been challenged on the grounds of fairness, raising such issues as unjust enrichment and others. But by and... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Banking, Contracts and Small Claims for Georgia on
Q: In the state of Georgia what are some laws and regulations i should know as an investigator helping others?

I am an investigator & I’m trying to know the laws in & out about helping others collecting their unclaimed funds such as the cap % or even smalls thing that can impact me or others while doing it .

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Dec 26, 2020

A Georgia attorney could advise best, but your question remains open for two weeks. Some GENERAL considerations could include permissible billing methods/fee schedules/fee caps, disclosures, disclaimers, and how Georgia governs/limits agents (attorney or non-attorney) handling such activities. Good... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Contracts, Divorce and Family Law for Georgia on
Q: Is adlutry still illegal in Georgia?

My husband cheated on me for 6 years out of the 8 years of our marriage. After he advised me of what he did, he filed for a no contest divorce, not telling his lawyer about his unfaithful actions. Alimony and child support are not included. What do I do?

Samantha A Holloway
Samantha A Holloway answered on Dec 20, 2020

File an Answer and a Counterclaim for Divorce once you are served with the papers. In the Counterclaim, you can mention the adultery and ask the court to award you child support and alimony.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts and Family Law for Georgia on
Q: Is a marriage legal if one of the spouses lied on the marriage license?

The details are the number of times the other spouse was married and the other spouse has the wrong last name on the licenses.

My daughter in law has been married three other times, when they filled out for the marriage licenses she didn’t use her legal last name of her third husband, she... Read more »

Homer P Jordan IV
Homer P Jordan IV answered on Nov 13, 2020

What was it that the person lied about? We would need more information than this, as this is vague. The marriage may still be legal, but we’d need more details about what the lie was regarding. You could contact the county clerk to inquire about the legality of the license.

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts, Real Estate Law and Landlord - Tenant for Georgia on
Q: Do tenants have a legal right to receive a receipt for paid rent in Georgia? Because I'm having issues with management
Seth Meyerson
Seth Meyerson answered on Oct 15, 2020

As long as you do not pay with cash you should have a record of your payment.

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts, Real Estate Law, Civil Rights and Securities Law for Georgia on
Q: We purchased our house in 2008, only to find there's a breech of contract—title NOT free of encumbrances.

We discovered in 2016 our house was foreclosed back in 2011 by the bank that issued our builder's loan. This has robbed us access to our equity and the consideration upon signing the contract to begin with. We are still living in the house. Is the contract void? What are our rights?

Seth Meyerson
Seth Meyerson answered on Oct 8, 2020

I think we talked about this one at some length.

1. Figure out what a third-party bank thinks is wrong with your title, if anything. -- Title insurance issue.

2. What were the terms of the modification that you signed? Were there misrepresentations made to you to induce your...
Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Contracts and Bankruptcy for Georgia on
Q: can i buy a cemetery polt if I am in bankrupcy in Georgia
Timothy Denison
Timothy Denison answered on Sep 28, 2020

Depends on what chapter bankruptcy.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation, Contracts and Products Liability for Georgia on
Q: can a used car dealership sign an e contract on my behalf and without my knowledge and without my consent?

Shouldn’t I have been able to agree to my e-signatures by wet ink agreement or email correspondence prior to e- contract upload?

In addition, is it possible to e-sign a contract without an signature pad or access to the dealership’s computer?

Thank you

Seth Meyerson
Seth Meyerson answered on Sep 28, 2020

If this is true and you can convince a judge, then the contract would be unenforceable.

E signatures are good signatures so long as valid.

What is Possible is an excessively big space.

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts, Criminal Law, Divorce and Legal Malpractice for Georgia on
Q: Is there an Law Firm that specializes in Void Judgement.??

I have a case that has many faces: active divorce Since 2016, proposed settlement presented July 8, 2016, final judgment on July 14, 2016, after mediation and consent order signed by judge Feb 9, 2016. My X bringing contempt charges for incurring debt on credit cards. It was mutual and nothing was... Read more »

Homer P Jordan IV
Homer P Jordan IV answered on Sep 17, 2020

You may want to call the state bar to inquire about an attorney that would specialize in this type of case. They maybe able to refer you to someone. -Homer P. Jordan IV, Esq. 404-620-1558

2 Answers | Asked in Contracts, Family Law and Child Custody for Georgia on
Q: How can you get the parent off of the birth certificate if its been 5 years abandonment ?

legally the father had is name changed around the time my son was born but he never changed it on his license so he signed the birth certificate using his old name. Can the birth certificate be voided because thats a legal document that he purposely lied on. I don't want to go to court but I... Read more »

Regina Irene Edwards
Regina Irene Edwards answered on Sep 11, 2020

You can't take a father off the birth certificate. You can apply to the court for a name change for your son.

View More Answers

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.