Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Gov & Administrative Law Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Gov & Administrative Law for Michigan on
Q: What does MCL 28.722 (s),(u) or(w) mean when it comes to a criminal sexual charge.

Filing paperwork to get off the registering list

Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers answered on Jan 20, 2022

They describe the different tiers. You should know, or will need to find out, what tier you are.

1 Answer | Asked in Gov & Administrative Law for Michigan on
Q: Is it legal in the state of Michigan to collect police license plates?

I am a collector of Michigan police badges license plates insignias etc

Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers answered on Jan 18, 2022

Are you looking to collect actual plates? You may want to check with various police departments. My understanding is that most local police have municipal plates - same plates as any other city vehicle, with an "x" in the middle. Not sure how much of a collector's item that would be.

1 Answer | Asked in Car Accidents, Gov & Administrative Law and Personal Injury on
Q: Advise the extent to which the Government can be made liable for the injuries suffered by Luna and Major Majid.

Major Ridwan and Major Majid were driving a military car to go for a seminar in Johor Bharu. Due to the slippery condition of the road, Major Ridwan accidentally knocked down an unlucky pedestrian, Luna, causing a severe leg fracture that required her to undergo surgery at the nearby government... Read more »

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Jan 14, 2022

This appears to be something outside the United States. The questions and answers here are generally based on U.S. law, and this looks like it took place in Malaysia. It would make more sense to analyze this under legal theories and laws that would be applicable in Malaysia, and possibly elements... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Constitutional Law, Gov & Administrative Law and International Law on
Q: Are there any restrictions with a Canadian green card holder working/participating/with P A C political action committee

Example Treasurer or Treasurer assistant, PAC Administrator, or Governing Body, example Chief Executive Officer

David Luther Woodward
David Luther Woodward answered on Jan 12, 2022

This is an immigration question, not international law; however, if he/she holds a green card they can do anything but vote! (My wife--a Canadienne--had a green card and she campaigned for me when I ran for county judge.

1 Answer | Asked in Gov & Administrative Law, Family Law and Domestic Violence for Georgia on
Q: Hi my fiance was arrested I didn't press any charges but the state did is there anyway I could get them dropped?

His charge is a misdemeanor he's recently in Jackson county jail and his bond is $1350 he broke a mirror that he gave to me

Joshua Schiffer
Joshua Schiffer answered on Jan 12, 2022

The State, through elected prosecutors, retains all authority when it comes to whether to pursue charges or not, unfortunately.

THAT BEING SAID, as the alleged victim you retain substantial influence over whether the State can be successful in trying to prosecute him. First off you have...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Gov & Administrative Law, Land Use & Zoning and Real Estate Law for Mississippi on
Q: What do I do if people are living on land I purchased from the state?

I received my patent for tax forfeited lands. I went to visit the property and was told by neighbors. People who were living there appeared a year ago with paperwork saying they owned the land. There is little information on what to do next. I was told by sec of state office, my patent is the only... Read more »

Arthur Calderon
Arthur Calderon answered on Jan 9, 2022

From the looks of it, you may need to consider getting law enforcement involved to effectively escort the people off of the land. Assuming that they have no legal interest in the property, then they are trespassing.

1 Answer | Asked in Elder Law and Gov & Administrative Law for Maryland on
Q: I failed the road test 3 times in Maryland Driver Re-examination. How can I get another road test?

I am 96-yr old but physically and mentally healthy, supported by medical report. I was referred by police for Mayland Driver Re-examination and unfortunately failed the driving test 3 times. My driver license was confiscated at the 1st failure. My request for the 4th driving test was denied. I... Read more »

Mark Oakley
Mark Oakley answered on Jan 8, 2022

A driving test failure is a driving test failure. How do you propose overturning the determination on appeal that you failed the test? Just saying that in your opinion you can drive safely will not be enough. The Administrative Law Judge, and ultimately if you pursue it further, a Circuit Court... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Gov & Administrative Law and Real Estate Law for Alabama on
Q: I am having problems with a county agency over a drainage ditch behind my house.

I'm having problems with a drainage ditch behind my house. Stormwater is cascading from the ditch onto my property cause severe soil erosion to the point my shed near the ditch is about to collapse into the ditch. The public works department says it is the water works problem and water works... Read more »

William Vann Burkett
William Vann Burkett answered on Jan 7, 2022

You likely need an attorney who handles eminent domain or inverse condemnation cases. The Alabama Supreme Court has found that in some cases excessive runoff and erosion may result in an unconstitutional taking. The viability of inverse condemnation claims are highly dependent on the timing and... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Constitutional Law and Gov & Administrative Law for Georgia on
Q: If I'm off probation and completed my 1st offenders sentencing successfully does that mean I was discharged by a judge?
Morris  Margulis
Morris Margulis answered on Jan 6, 2022

It should, but you should check with the clerk of the court that sentenced you to first offender probation to be sure.

1 Answer | Asked in Real Estate Law and Gov & Administrative Law for Ohio on
Q: How long does HUD have to release a lien after paying off a partial claim?

I had a HUD partial claim with NOVAD. I recently refinanced and my lender paid off the partial claim as part of the refinance. The title company advised me that the check was cashed by NOVAD on 10/25/2021. It is now 12/24/2021. I have not received any official correspondence from NOVAD or my lender... Read more »

Bruce Martin Broyles
Bruce Martin Broyles answered on Dec 25, 2021

Ohio requires a satisfaction of mortgage to be filed 90dsys after payment

Q: Hello, I need to write an acknowledgement to the state of Maryland courts. I am not contesting to the charges

Of second degree assault against my finance. We both have one charge each against each other and didn't want to press charges but state automatically picked it up. I need to make sure I am writing the correct document that I need to have notarized and gives you the state's attorney

Mark Oakley
Mark Oakley answered on Dec 25, 2021

Stop. Do not do whatever it is you are thinking of doing. Hire a criminal defense attorney before you do something truly foolish and irreversibly ruin your record and damage your career and prospects.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Gov & Administrative Law and Criminal Law for Oklahoma on
Q: What can I do if a judge threatens to jail me for not hiring counsel? Denying me the right to a public defender.

I'm homeless with no job. Been trying hard to find a job.

Tracy Tiernan
Tracy Tiernan answered on Dec 24, 2021

This is an incredibly common phenomenon in the criminal court system in Oklahoma and elsewhere. You bonded out …..somehow. It may not have come out of your pocket but it came out of someone’s pocket …your family, or a friend, or an acquaintance that was trying to help you. Now the judge is... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Constitutional Law, Criminal Law and Gov & Administrative Law for Minnesota on
Q: Can the police in minnesota enter my home without permission to serve a felony arrest warrant from another state
Thomas C Gallagher
Thomas C Gallagher answered on Dec 23, 2021

That would depend upon whether they had reason to believe that the fugitive named in the arrest warrant was in the home. The Minnesota arrest warrant would be based upon the out-of-state warrant.

3 Answers | Asked in DUI / DWI, Civil Rights and Gov & Administrative Law for California on
Q: Got Class A 1st time dui because interlock device can’t renew my class A unless downgrade to class C … Is dmv right ?

DMV claim I can’t renew class A license for another 6 months due to interlock device they gave me 2 options #1 pay cdl renew fees get a car on you name sr22 instal interlock device and dont drive vehicle for six months option # 2 if you want to drive now give up class A and downgrade to class C... Read more »

Louis George Fazzi
Louis George Fazzi answered on Dec 23, 2021

You will need to speak with a lawyer who regularly handles DUI cases and has a lot of experience with them. You will also need to provide a lot more information along with all the documentation you received regarding the citation you received. It is difficult to give good advice in this forum due... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Gov & Administrative Law, Criminal Law and Federal Crimes for Texas on
Q: Forgery of government documents, statute 32.21 e-2. Prison time?

My son’s grandma (not my mom) was recently arrested for “forgery of a financial instrument >2500<30k, ENH IAT.” It was some sort of government document but I can’t see what exactly it was. It’s listed as a third degree felony on her arraignment public record. She has 5 prior... Read more »

Vonnie Clay Dones III
Vonnie Clay Dones III answered on Dec 20, 2021

Your son's grandma should hire a criminal defense attorney to review her case to determine the best possible outcome as she could be enhanced, meaning given a heavier sentence, if she is a repeat or habitual offender (two prior TDC trips). Under the scenario you provided, it is possible for... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Employment Law and Gov & Administrative Law for Michigan on
Q: Michigan UIA requesting money back after paying unemployment claim.

I filed for a PUA claim using the reason "independent contractor experienced a significant reduction in usual or customary services" as I did work for the local school.

When I went to re-certify earlier this year they asked for proof of 2019 income and I gave them my 1099.... Read more »

Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers answered on Dec 14, 2021

Possibly. You'll need to read the notice you received closely to determine what steps are needed at this point. You may also wish to seek the assistance of an attorney.

1 Answer | Asked in Gov & Administrative Law and Workers' Compensation for California on
Q: I had to fire my workmens comp attorney a few days ago am now without one hearing tomorrow do u know what I should do

Mal practice forced me to let him go so close to my settlement hearing case has been open over 5 years had 2 MRI 2 nerve scans done never got any results back never was giving a primary doc that would except me without the results to my tests I collected workmens comp 2 years with basically no... Read more »

Gary Alan Jackson
Gary Alan Jackson answered on Dec 14, 2021

you should let the judge know that you would like some time to find a new lawyer. a judge will nealry always give you time to find a new attorney as they dont want you to represent your self, unless you have done this several times already. it sounds like maybe you just endured a non responsive... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Personal Injury and Gov & Administrative Law for Oklahoma on
Q: What info can one use to prove common law marrige in oklahoma?
Charles Watts
Charles Watts answered on Dec 13, 2021

Proving common law is a fact-finding adventure and you should consult with a family law attorney to assist you. While it may seem very easy it in fact can be challenging to prove.

2 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law and Gov & Administrative Law for California on
Q: Im fight a possession of a firearm.i want to file a bond against the court for two reasons one there's a Hobbs motion .

The da before I was arrainged gave a lawyer that I never ended up hiring for this case the discovery which violates the Hobbs motion that a judge has to allow permission and that no file of the case can be spoken of until arraingment.two da lied and tried to add enhancement that I committed a crime... Read more »

Dan Moseley
Dan Moseley answered on Dec 12, 2021

While you may have a defense, you appear to misunderstand the law of criminal procedure. A "Hobbs Motion" for example has to do with the disclosure of the identity of a confidential informant, not the production of documents. And more of an explanation is needed of what you mean by... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Federal Crimes and Gov & Administrative Law for Hawaii on
Q: Does a Federal crime override a state crime?

A TRO is in place on one property for 2 family members my father and his son the judge ordered both families to stay in their living areas one family has the front and the other family take the back. Both families share one common area for driving and that leads to front and back of house. The... Read more »

Mark Simonds
Mark Simonds answered on Dec 11, 2021

I am so sorry what your ohana is going through, especially around the holidays. Your father relied on the representation of a government official, to his detriment. If he is charged with a violation of the Order for Protection, he may have a defense if the offense was; 1) de minimis; or 2) he did... Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.