Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Hawaii Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law and Small Claims for Hawaii on
Q: How do I get my money back on a false misrepresentation of a claim on a product I bought?

I purchased a device that claimed FDA approval and it is not. I based the purchase on being told it was FDA approved.

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Jan 23, 2022

A Hawaii attorney could advise best, but your question remains open for five weeks. Hawaii consumer laws aside, which only a local attorney could advise about, the most practical approach could be to request refund through the company's customer service department. If there's more to the... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law and Insurance Bad Faith for Hawaii on
Q: Is the death due to "complications of blunt force injuries of the head" considered to be an accidental death?

I am the beneficiary of a Guaranteed Life Insurance from Gerber Life that started June 2019. The insured passed away on March 27, 2020. I filed a death claim with Gerber Life but there was a delay in obtaining his death certificate due to the pandemic. I finally was able to send in the required... Read more »

Mark Simonds
Mark Simonds answered on Dec 17, 2021

Aloha, blunt force trauma is exactly that - an injury caused by blunt force, whether applied intentionally by another person, or due to accidental circumstances. It is more a medical term than a legal term. It just describes the type of causation, not the state of mind of the individual... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Federal Crimes and Gov & Administrative Law for Hawaii on
Q: Does a Federal crime override a state crime?

A TRO is in place on one property for 2 family members my father and his son the judge ordered both families to stay in their living areas one family has the front and the other family take the back. Both families share one common area for driving and that leads to front and back of house. The... Read more »

Mark Simonds
Mark Simonds answered on Dec 11, 2021

I am so sorry what your ohana is going through, especially around the holidays. Your father relied on the representation of a government official, to his detriment. If he is charged with a violation of the Order for Protection, he may have a defense if the offense was; 1) de minimis; or 2) he did... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Civil Rights and Employment Discrimination for Hawaii on
Q: I'm inquiring about my employers wanting further explanation of my religious exemption which was previously approved.

Now they sent me a list of questions asking me to explain why. Their also asking if "I've put my practice(religion) into any other areas in my life?"

Also if "I've taken other vaccines and or medications in the pass as an adult?" With six more intrusive... Read more »

Mark Simonds
Mark Simonds answered on Nov 10, 2021

Typically, when a religious exemption to a work-related medical requirement is requested, employers may make reasonable inquiries into your sincerely held religious belief, in order to determine whether it is, in fact, genuine. If it is determined to be so, then reasonable accommodations must be... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Gov & Administrative Law for Hawaii on
Q: If my tire was damaged while on Federal government property, can I get reimbursed for the cost of the tire?

As I was leaving the parking lot, I hit a broken handicap sign which was protruding approximately 6 inches from the pavement which I did not see.

Mark Simonds
Mark Simonds answered on Nov 10, 2021

Aloha, I would try to reach out to the entity upon whose premises your vehicle was damaged. For relatively small claims, such as a tire, the National Park Service, for example, will require you to complete a form asking for details if the incident. Typically, these kinds of claims are usually... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law for Hawaii on
Q: how do I apply to a district court judge to have a first time criminal property damage misdemeanor expunged

This happened 19 years ago and in court I failed to avail myself of the offer of deferred judgement. Now I am seeking to have it removed if possible as it affects my job applications.

Mark Simonds
Mark Simonds answered on Nov 3, 2021

Aloha, so I assume he information you provided is accurate, in that the charge resulted in a conviction on your record. In other words, you did not receive, at the time of your sentencing, a deferred acceptance of no contest plea (‘DANC’’), or deferred acceptance of guilty plea (‘DAG”)... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law for Hawaii on
Q: How long can drug evidence be held until they decide to charge you with possession of dangerous drug 2

What is the statutes of limitations on drug evidence

Mark Simonds
Mark Simonds answered on Nov 2, 2021

Promoting a Dangerous rug in the second degree is a class ‘B’ felony under the Hawaii Revised Statues. Assuming there are no other potentially more serious charges, a charge of this severity would have to be brought within 3 years of the incident.

§701-108 Time limitations. (1) A...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Employment Discrimination and Employment Law for Hawaii on
Q: Employment, Unemployment and Covid.

I dont know if this is the right place but my nephews employer won't let him come back to work. He started at the beginning of the summer. Ended up catching covid. He went to the doctor, did his quarantine over a month ago. Job says he still can't come back until he shows negative covid... Read more »

Rhiannon Herbert
Rhiannon Herbert answered on Oct 6, 2021

Your nephew's job is permitted to ask for a negative covid test or vaccination from your nephew, but they are not permitted to request negative covid tests or other medical information for everyone living in his household.

1 Answer | Asked in Adoption, Civil Rights and Gov & Administrative Law for Hawaii on
Q: For married co-plaintiffs, can he proceed pro se to represent himself while she hires an attorney to represent herself?

We are both suing the Hawaii Department of Human Services and some of its employees in federal court. He wants to give opening and closing statements and cross examinations but she wants an attorney to do it. We also both have differing litigation strategies. Can we have the best of both worlds and... Read more »

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing answered on Aug 4, 2021

I suggest you delete your case reference.

The individuals should both use an attorney, but if for some reason that is not possible, Federal Courts allow pro se appearances. You may, if applicable, want to fill out the forms to proceed in forma pauperis, which waives most fees.

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law for Hawaii on
Q: Can I do multiple times stays one month and leave US for 5 month in same year and still qualify to apply for citizenship

Marry to a US citizen, currently holding a 2-year conditional green card and planning to apply for citizenship when the time comes. However, I need to do medical treatment outside of the US, and the treatment required about a year to recover. I don't want to re-start the time of being qualify... Read more »

Agnes Jury
Agnes Jury answered on Apr 28, 2021

To qualify for citizenship, generally applicants must demonstrate they have continuously resided in the United States for at least 5 years before submitting Form N-400, Application for Naturalization. This means you must be residing exclusively in the United States – not in any other country.... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation for Hawaii on
Q: The Board of Directors has changed, although we haven't had any meetings. How can this be

The president of the board moved and sold his unit. No meeting was held to fill vacant position.

Randy Bryan Ligh
Randy Bryan Ligh answered on Apr 16, 2021

What do your governing documents say when a director or office sells his unit? The documents should detail removal and/or replacement.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Immigration Law for Hawaii on
Q: I am trying to apply for the N-400 Naturalization. A few questions have me confused.

Have you EVER been convicted of a crime or offense?

Have you EVER been placed in an alternative sentencing or a rehabilitative program (for example, diversion, deferred prosecution, withheld adjudication, deferred adjudication)?

Have you EVER received a suspended sentence, been... Read more »

Nadine C. Atkinson-Flowers
Nadine C. Atkinson-Flowers answered on Apr 12, 2021

The convictions are convictions even though they were expunged. Make sure you have copies of the documents from the court, with a seal or stamp from the court to show they are the official records. It is useful to talk with an immigration lawyer before submitting. The American Immigration Lawyers... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Car Accidents for Hawaii on
Q: A commercial vehicle was parked in a unmarked stall and reversed into my car as I parked

The commercial vehicle where it was parked isn't a loading or unloading zone, basically a unmarked area.

As I proceeded to reverse my car into a marked stall the commercial vehicle started reversing as well, my car was basically 80% in the stall until it hit my front right of my car.... Read more »

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Apr 2, 2021

A Hawaii attorney could advise best, but your post remains open for two weeks. In most jurisdictions, it would be difficult to pin all liability on one party or the other in these types of settings, with both vehicles in reverse in a parking lot setting. Some of the options before you include going... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Trademark for Hawaii on
Q: This is my company logo that has been stolen from me. Does this show that J & S own this trademark?

I temporarily closed my company down in 2013 due to my son's death. I want to restart my company and when I researched this I found J & S claiming Heaven 's Cookie as theirs. The details are incorrect but the general idea of a cloud with the name inside is the same. The font used... Read more »

Marcos Garciaacosta
Marcos Garciaacosta answered on Mar 13, 2021

you should consult with an attorney

did you ever register the mark?

how long did you stop using it?

what products do you make and they make?

1 Answer | Asked in Car Accidents and Traffic Tickets for Hawaii on
Q: I had an accident with a revoked license should I have a lawyer to aid me in this matter?
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Mar 9, 2021

A Hawaii attorney should advise you here, but your post remains open for two weeks, and it's likely that time is of the essence in what you need to do. Some states treat driving without a valid license as a misdemeanor - only a Hawaii attorney could advise there. But at least find out the... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law for Hawaii on
Q: Can my husband move to Hawaii with me (from Toronto) even if we are soon-to-be separated? I am getting the work visa.

I would like to move my family to Hawaii. I am looking to purchase a company and would therefore qualify for a work visa. However, my husband and I are in the midst of separating. I would like to assist his move to the US and wondered if I should delay the separation or if we can still all move... Read more »

Kevin L Dixler
Kevin L Dixler answered on Mar 4, 2021

More information is needed. Have your petition for an investor visa been approved? If not, it can take a significant amount of time for U.S. visa petition processing. Likely, much more time than Canada. Perhaps, more time then you and your husband wish to wait.

As a result, I strongly...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Car Accidents and Traffic Tickets for Hawaii on
Q: I had an accident with a revoked license should I have a lawyer to aid me in this matter?
Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing answered on Feb 25, 2021

Very definitely. Look for an attorney who handles traffic citations. If the crash wasn't your fault you have a claim for your injuries and should contact a member of the Hawaii Trial Lawyers Association--they give free consults.

Pomaika'i !

1 Answer | Asked in Foreclosure and Real Estate Law for Hawaii on
Q: My auntie defaulted on her mortgage and have not paid for the past 10 years while a judicial foreclosure case is ongoing

The case recently got dismissed due to statute of limitations, is this a good thing? Is it okay for her to not pay anything while the case was ongoing? Is she off the hook now since the case got dismissed?

Leonard R. Boyer
Leonard R. Boyer answered on Feb 25, 2021

To determine your aunt's situation she needs to at least consult with an experienced HI mortgage foreclosure defense attorney to evaluate the situation. THIS IS NOT LEGAL ADVICE! YOU NEED TO SPEAK TO AN ATTORNEY WHO IS LICENSED IN YOUR STATE FOR LEGAL ADVICE. This is merely suggestions for... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law and Immigration Law for Hawaii on
Q: My father abandoned me in India and is in usa for 15+ years and is a green card holder.what r my rights in usa?

he is not divorced with my mother.

has illegal marriages as well as children from two other women.

he does not support's us financially but is hawaii court claims that he is doing so.

I want to come to usa and get alimony for my mother .

what are our rights in... Read more »

Nareshwar Singh Virdi
Nareshwar Singh Virdi answered on Feb 20, 2021

This sounds like a complicated situation. Please call my office at 916-378-0259 for further information.

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law and Land Use & Zoning for Hawaii on
Q: Encroachment of a wall on my boundary line is less than one foot.

The wall was built over 20 years ago and a recent survey revealed the wall encroached less than a foot into neighbor’s land.

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Feb 11, 2021

A Hawaii attorney could advise best, but your post remains open for two weeks. You could repost in the Real Estate section. There wasn't a question included, but if you're wondering about adverse possession and other issues arising here, an attorney might need to see the survey and other... Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.