Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Health Care Law Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Health Care Law for Pennsylvania on
Q: Is there any help for someone who ran up over $30K of medical bills and has no health insurance?

My daughter, 29, was having vision problems and went to Wayne Mem ER, probably 3 yrs ago. The ER docs suspected brain tumor and sent her by ambulance to Geis CMC. After much testing, no tumor was found and the bills were totaling just over $30K. I just found out about this. She tried to forget... Read more »

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing answered on Jan 13, 2022

problem is that the social worker at the hospital should have filed a medical assistance application. However, if she was poor she may have been a medical assistance recipient and the bills should have gone to Medical Assistance. At this point she is "judgment proof." it doesn't... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Personal Injury, Health Care Law and Medical Malpractice for California on
Q: I know that the makers of the vaccine are protected from being arrested or sued but are pharmacists also protected
Theodore Allan Greene
Theodore Allan Greene answered on Jan 13, 2022

You should be a little more specific with your question. There are some immunities from litigation but when you sit down with an attorney be prepared to discuss all the facts regarding your situation.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Personal Injury, Health Care Law and Medical Malpractice on
Q: I would like to get documents to apply for us citizenship waiver? Thank you kindly!

As above!

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Jan 11, 2022

This sounds like it could be something an immigration attorney would know about. There's no guarantee all posts are picked up, but you could have better chances of a reply by reposting and adding Immigration Law as a category. Good luck

1 Answer | Asked in Health Care Law for North Carolina on
Q: can my employer be held liable for a bad decison made by my employer paid health insurance?
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Jan 9, 2022

A North Carolina attorney could advise best, but your question remains open for four weeks. It could depend on the terms of coverage and your employer's role in your coverage. But as a general matter nationwide, employers do usually not get involved in insurance carrier's operations,... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Health Care Law for Arkansas on
Q: Can Medicare deny jaw surgery as treatment for a genetic disorder? Specifically ectodermal dysplasia?
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Jan 9, 2022

An Arkansas attorney could advise best, but your post remains open for three weeks. Until you are able to consult with a local attorney, you could also check with your surgeon if they are able to offer narratives or notes supporting the medical necessity of the surgery. Good luck

2 Answers | Asked in Personal Injury and Health Care Law on
Q: I just had a baby 4 months ago, I was given a 'daddy stitch' making my sexual life impossible because of the pain.

The hospital does this to everyone and it isn't right. Can I sue for my suffering I had to endure because of this?

I'm also unsure of what law to put in as this is genital mutilation and I do not know what law it comes under in the UK.

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Jan 7, 2022

I'm sorry for your ordeal. You may lose valuable time awaiting a meaningful response on this forum because it is geared toward U.S. law. From what you describe, it sounds like you could consider reaching out to lawyers/solicitors in the UK. If nothing else, you could learn the timelines within... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Employment Law and Health Care Law for Michigan on
Q: contract allows either party to terminate with 60 day notice, I have resigned but end date of 5/6/2022

Can employer terminate now that I have almost worked 60 days since resignation without having to pay my wages for 60 days since they are severing contract before my last day of work provided in resignation?

Carrie Dyer
Carrie Dyer answered on Jan 5, 2022

This depends on the language in your contract. You should contact an employment lawyer in your area to review the contract.

1 Answer | Asked in Personal Injury and Health Care Law for Florida on
Q: Can I sue ?

Critical patient refused from multiple nursing homes due to his Medicare provider insurance not being a top payer. ( reason for denials explained by home nurse) Local hospital sent home. This is a TBI patient with no use of limbs and in extreme pain, who has suffered a broken leg due to fall trying... Read more »

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Jan 1, 2022

A Florida attorney could advise best, but your post remains open for two weeks. But in general, this appears to be something more complex than can be answered in the format of the three questions you pose, where you ask if this could be a discrimination, personal injury or neglect case?

Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Wrongful Death and Health Care Law for Illinois on
Q: What legal action can I take against a business who consciously ignores covid regulations, which resulted in a death?

My mother recently passed away from covid. She works at a church that refuses to acknowledge covid and follow regulations. This church is a known hotspot for covid and they still refyse to follow any kind of safety rules. We know my mother caught the virus there and covid is listed on the death... Read more »

Charles Candiano
Charles Candiano answered on Dec 22, 2021

Unfortunately, none. If your mother was truly an employee of the Church, then her/your sole remedy is through Workers' Compensation, provided that the church carries Workers' Compensation insurance. If she was an employee but the Church had no WC insurance, you may be able to sue,... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Health Care Law and Personal Injury for Colorado on
Q: Can u sue a company for prohibiting medical care for a work place injury?

My son was involved in an accident at work where he gashed his forehead that required internal stitches and 10 more on outside to close. His company told him he could not get medical treatment until he signed some paper,not sure what was on it,and it took them over an hour to get him to... Read more »

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Dec 21, 2021

A Colorado attorney could advise best, but your post remains open for a week. I'm very sorry for your son's injury and the ordeal it caused your family. As a starting point, you could reach out to attorneys to look into what justified that type of delay. In terms of applicable law -... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Health Care Law for New York on
Q: Hello, My name is Gabriell and I'm looking to find a lawyer to help me go about a few things that

Are going on. I feel as if people have cases on me I don't know about I've been to my doctors to get help with my body feeling the way it does and to the hospitals I get no results from either or. My doctors office has been lieing to me saying j haven't been there since 2017 which... Read more »

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Dec 20, 2021

I'm sorry for the difficulties you've been experiencing. Attorneys are not able to reach out to you here. The format here does not operate like an attorney referral service - it is only a Question & Answer forum. If you want to find an attorney, you could search for attorneys online,... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Civil Rights, Constitutional Law and Health Care Law for Michigan on
Q: Are there lawyers that still believe in the oath they swore to defend people in the court of law

I don't know much about laws and court but I do know right from wrong I need help

Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers answered on Dec 10, 2021

When a lawyer is in good standing, they deserve to be presumed to be zealous advocates for their client. What clients sometimes don't realize is that defending people does not include advancing unfounded theories, whether grounded in fact or law, or presenting false facts or statements. A... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Elder Law, Estate Planning and Health Care Law for Illinois on
Q: If a parent is put in a memory care assisted living by a POA. As a heir can I find or get a look at the POA

I believe fraud is Occurring

Nina Whitehurst
Nina Whitehurst answered on Dec 8, 2021

There isn't a real good way for you to get a look at it, because neither the principal nor the agent are obligated to share it with you. But if you have good grounds to suspect that elder abuse (financial or emotional or other) is taking place, then report it to your local Adult Protective... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Health Care Law for Missouri on
Q: I need an external fixation removed from ankle and I refuse pcr test and they refused surgery. Is this legal?

They installed it so I would think they have to remove it

Ronald J. Eisenberg
Ronald J. Eisenberg answered on Dec 7, 2021

I’m not aware of any law that would prohibit a health care provider from refusing to do a surgery on someone who refuses a PCR test.

What specific statute do you believe is being violated?

Perhaps you can find another surgeon who isn’t concerned about the risk of COVID-19 transmission?

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Family Law and Health Care Law for California on
Q: Clinic called me later saying they messed up billing and now I owe them more money

I received treatment from a planned parenthood and paid my bill in full at the end of my appointment. Later that night, I received a call from them saying they made a mistake and didn’t charge me properly and now I owe them another 125$. Do I need to pay this even though they’re the ones who... Read more »

Leon Bayer
Leon Bayer answered on Dec 4, 2021

How did they "mess up"? You owe what the treatment cost, plain and simple. If they gave you the correct bill at the time of your treatment, you would have paid, wouldn't you? So what is different about giving you a corrected bill later on the same day?

Don't you ever...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Personal Injury, Civil Rights, Health Care Law and Medical Malpractice for New Jersey on
Q: I want to file a civil complaint in the District court of NJ pro se and In forma Pauperus .

Where do I need to send the complaint to if it is: 1. local police department 2. county prosecutors office 3. County Correctional center 4. Apartment complex All include multiple defendants .

Do I send it to the District court with the complaint and copies and summons or what paperwork... Read more »

Leonard R. Boyer
Leonard R. Boyer answered on Dec 3, 2021

You are not a trained attorney. You do not know the Court Rules, Rules of Evidence, case law, nor are you trained how to handle a legal case, especially if litigation is involved. However, if you do not retain counsel, and the opposing party does have counsel, you could get slaughtered... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law and Health Care Law for Florida on
Q: I was served and ate a portion of a raw hamburger that was not cooked at all in the center.

I was sick for 4 days and it ruined our family Thanksgiving meal.

I have been contacted by their Insurance Co. Do I need a lawyer...!!

Terrence H Thorgaard
Terrence H Thorgaard answered on Dec 1, 2021

It can be argued that you "assumed the risk" if you ate the raw meat after discovering it was raw. And you would have to prove, should it go to court, that the raw meat made you sick. Also, your damages might not be substantial enough to warrant the expense and inconvenience of a... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law, Real Estate Law, Civil Rights and Health Care Law for Louisiana on
Q: Must I abide to details of a listing agreement?

I was ordered to sign a listing agreement for the partition of co-owned property. I signed the agreement but it has been one month and I have not shown the house due to COVID concerns. I just received a Motion for Contempt. I don’t know if that puts me in contempt since the order only stated I... Read more »

Ellen Cronin Badeaux
Ellen Cronin Badeaux answered on Nov 30, 2021

You need to agree to requested showings. The CDC concluded that surface transmission was low. Get vaccinated. You can require that anyone looking at the house wear a mask and stay outside yourself until the showing is over. If not, you can be held in contempt.

2 Answers | Asked in Federal Crimes, Family Law, Health Care Law and Probate for New Jersey on
Q: Is knowingly submitting false information or hiding relevant information on a Medicaid recovery claim document fraud?

I live in the state of New Jersey. My sister is currently administering my late mother’s estate, which includes a Medicaid lien of 200 thousand dollars (including additional charges). Medicaid sent notice to the estate administrator to provide a full accounting of the my late mother’s estate.... Read more »

Morris Leo Greb
Morris Leo Greb answered on Nov 27, 2021

Yes submission of knowingly false information to the government is a criminal act. The possible maximum penalties are quite severe. I suggest you speak to an attorney with experience in handling federal criminal acts.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Elder Law and Health Care Law for Michigan on
Q: Are we able to retain ownership of our home if we qualify for Medicaid; what is the max. income to qualify for Medicaid?

Are there other assets Medicaid can take from our estate?

Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers answered on Nov 24, 2021

Depends on who you mean by "we" and who would be the qualifying person for Medicaid. Ordinarily, the value of the primary residence is exempt for qualification purposes; you can "keep" it while the person is alive. However, once a person dies, the state may seek to recover what... Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.