Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Identity Theft Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Civil Rights, Identity Theft and Internet Law for Michigan on
Q: Can I sue tiktok to get a fake account taken down that someone opened up in my name and took one of my videos and put on

Fake account and I know who did it. I also feel this guy is scouting minors for trafficking I have emailed them over a dozen times n reported his account with no luck since 12/31/21. Not sure what else to do??

Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers answered on Jan 22, 2022

I'm not sure how TikTok would be liable to you. Most social media companies, in that finely printed terms and conditions no one reads when they sign up for an account, say basically "we're just a platform and not responsible for the content users upload".

If you know...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Banking, Civil Rights, Elder Law and Identity Theft for Rhode Island on
Q: Foreclosure,check fraud,SNAP fraud,credit cards open.Family member took advantage of grandmother. She's out 25,000+HELP

Family member was caregiver for grandmother was supposed to pay mortgage,bills.. Never paid mortgage. grandmother will lose house foreclosure, she's out $20,000. Family member left grandmother bank account $0. Grandmother's social security check went into bank account&stimulus checks... Read more »

Neville Bedford
Neville Bedford answered on Jan 20, 2022 is a good place for you to start to seek help for your elderly relative. Good luck to both of you.

1 Answer | Asked in Employment Law and Identity Theft for Pennsylvania on
Q: Is it legal for my local council members to be able to monitor everything I search/do on my computer as an employee?

I work in Monessen, PA

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing answered on Jan 13, 2022

If it's the employer's computer they have a right of access. If you use it for personal things that is your risk. They can take the computer tomorrow, it's theirs. They can access the information any way they wish. It's theirs.

2 Answers | Asked in Banking, Criminal Law, Identity Theft and White Collar Crime for Texas on
Q: Is there someone that can be held responsible for the headache this charge has caused me?

About myself: Besides a dismissal back in 2006 for Driving with Invalid License, and now this case, I have no other criminal history.

Recently, I was arrested due to having a warrant for one charge that was due to 2 hot checks I supposedly wrote at HEB, back in 2018.

I was confused... Read more »

Michael Hamilton Rodgers
Michael Hamilton Rodgers answered on Jan 9, 2022

Generally, a person has to pead guilty or "no contest" (which is the same thing as pleading guilty) in order for them to be placed on probation. And if you pleaded either of those, I'd say you are really out of luck. Then I would ask why you would do such a thing knowing you were not... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Identity Theft and Small Claims for New Jersey on
Q: New Jersey EZ Pass Tag was stolen, used fraudulently by a company hauling heavy equipment, can I take legal action

I want to find out who did this, causing me months of stress and anxiety.

Leonard R. Boyer
Leonard R. Boyer answered on Jan 2, 2022

Yes you certainly can take legal action both civilly and through the criminal justice system. How to determine who stole the EZ Pass may require retains a private investigator. Once that is determined and you have proof, then an experienced civil litigation attorney can review all your... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Bankruptcy and Identity Theft for Wisconsin on
Q: I was served court paperwork today by a deputy. I looked at the paperwork and its about a loan.

I don't recognize the loan and i wanted to know what kind of attorney can help me fight this since I think i might be the victim of identity theft.

Timothy Denison
Timothy Denison answered on Dec 29, 2021

You need a debtors rights attorney.

1 Answer | Asked in Federal Crimes, Identity Theft, Securities Law and Stockbroker Fraud for Nevada on
Q: Rollover IRA checks mailed to the wrong PO BOX by OneAmerica and were electronically deposited by someone else.

Back in October, I started a rollover IRA with my previous employer’s retirement services company, OneAmerica. Unfortunately, OneAmerica sent the checks (payable to Fidelity FBO w my name on them) to an incorrect PO BOX (1 number off). These checks were electronically deposited by the owner of... Read more »

Bruce Alexander Minnick
Bruce Alexander Minnick answered on Dec 29, 2021

You may have more trouble getting your rollover IRA money back than you had hoped. Why?

Because it was deposited electronically (without prejudice) and credited to some unknown person's account at Wells Fargo Bank, N.A., which is notorious for holding onto money not supposed to be...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law and Identity Theft for Michigan on
Q: can i get advice about a husband who stopped paying bills to ruin my credit because his name is not on anythhing

he always had bad credit so we put everything in my name and the last couple years he became selfish and has stopped paying for things in my name and i am a stay at home mother he has always told me doesnt want me to work but i feel i dont have another option and i will be divorcing him i dont... Read more »

Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers answered on Dec 20, 2021

Sounds like you are on the right path. You'll need to settle this through the divorce process.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Civil Litigation and Identity Theft for Florida on
Q: My cousin stole many valuable things of my home that belong to me and my husband including our social security cards e….

My cousin is so jealous of me and my husband lying to authorities about us both. What legal actions can I take?

Charles M.  Baron
Charles M. Baron answered on Dec 19, 2021

Your inquiry indicates that you writing from Indiana but directing it to Fla. attorneys. If this is an Indiana matter, you must direct your inquiry to Indiana attorneys. If it's a Fla. matter, more facts would be needed to evaluate this and determine what actions can or should be taken. Of... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Identity Theft for New York on
Q: Why do i see my name and others people name on the creddit score ?
Michael David Siegel
Michael David Siegel answered on Dec 13, 2021

You posted this under identity theft. That is a big possibility. Without seeing the full report I cannot tell. Look and see if you recognize all of the debts. If not, put a fraud alert on the report, and contact the erroneous entries.

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law and Identity Theft for Texas on
Q: Why would a company deny a consumer access to records that involve identity theft?

If your identity was used to file a liability claim and theres an account for compensation in your name, how do you get the claim file for law enforcement when the company is refusing to cooperate?

Michael Hamilton Rodgers
Michael Hamilton Rodgers answered on Nov 22, 2021

You shouldn't have to get the claim file yourself. In fact, you probably should not get it yourself. What you do is report the theft of your identity to your local law enforcement agency, giving them all the facts which you are aware of. It is law enforcement's job to follow up on your... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Identity Theft for California on
Q: What type of lawsuit would I have if someone never returned $24,000?

A person I was with in Las Vegas put something in my drink and “borrowed” a large sum of money. He’s since admitted he owes it to me but is not paying.

Dale S. Gribow
Dale S. Gribow answered on Nov 19, 2021

you probably need a civil litigator.

however, the amount is to small for most lawyers to take this on a contingency.

it sounds like an hourly case and would not be worthwhile for you to do this.

if you can't collect, sue for $10k in small claims and waive the...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights, Constitutional Law and Identity Theft for New York on
Q: I got money stolen as well from Coinbase can I join this class action lawsuit?
Derek John Soltis
Derek John Soltis answered on Nov 19, 2021


You should talk to an attorney to go over the facts of your case. You need to explain how and who stole your money. Basically, why Coinbase is at fault for your loss?

1 Answer | Asked in Identity Theft for Tennessee on
Q: Identity frauded somebody made themselves trustee of me I did not no about and I have names
Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery answered on Nov 18, 2021

Call your Sheriff and report it with all details known.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Identity Theft for Michigan on
Q: Any Advice

I Got Arrested For 3rd degree retail fraud and I was so scared cause I never been in trouble so I was acting out of fear and used a fake name and now I got a letter in the mail to get arraigned and I Don’t Wanna go to jail I have a 1 year old son and I just got a good job working at the hospital... Read more »

Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers answered on Nov 17, 2021

Best to face this head on. Otherwise, there will be a warrant for your arrest. And while the police likely won't come out with the SWAT team to arrest you on something like this, these sort of things often creep up and catch up with you when you can least afford to deal with it: you get pulled... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights, Employment Discrimination, Environmental and Identity Theft for California on
Q: How do resolve current issues
Maya L. Serkova
Maya L. Serkova answered on Nov 13, 2021

Your post is missing the actual facts. Please resubmit your question with a description of your issues. This will help us better assist you.

6 Answers | Asked in Bankruptcy, Identity Theft and Small Claims for California on
Q: Can a bank collect a debt on a credit card 13 years after the last payment was made?

I was contacted by a law firm representing US Bank. For a credit card that was open in 2005 and payments made on it until 2008. A balance of 5000 was never paid. I have no recollection of this. It has never been on my credit report. It could have been opened by my ex wife. We were going through a... Read more »

Yelena Gurevich
Yelena Gurevich answered on Nov 5, 2021

it is likely past the statute of limitations but an attorney would need to review what you are receiving and get more facts to further advise you.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Identity Theft for Michigan on
Q: My granddaughter left her boyfriend in Colorado and stayed with us while waiting for an apartment in Chicago. She asked

if we could co sign her

lease. We are 70 and retired. She has left apartments with unpaid rent in the past. We said we could not but she said that the company had waived the cosighner. We gave her furniture and she moved. We heard from her and she sent pictures of the apartment. She... Read more »

Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers answered on Nov 5, 2021

This might be something you may not want to do given the family relationship, but is something you would likely need to do to clear your name: you will need to report this to the police. Until you do, the apartment complex will continue to hold you responsible for the balance.

Your other...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Banking, Identity Theft and White Collar Crime for Ohio on
Q: Can i be convicted on charges if i never had a check cashed and they also don't have the check just a photocopy of it?

A friend of mine said he had done work for someone but didn't have an ID to cash a check they were paying him for the job so he had it put in my name. I went to cash this check and the bank acted a little fishy over this check and wanted me to stick around to ask the owner if it was legit. I... Read more »

Matthew Williams
Matthew Williams answered on Nov 4, 2021

Yes you could be convicted. Your defense goes to your state of mind and not knowing the check was a forgery. That can be difficult to back up. The prosecutor will almost certainly be convinced you were in on it. You should get a lawyer.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Identity Theft for Ohio on
Q: I had a or bond revoked and a new bond set ! Does the conditions of the old bond carry over to the new bond

I had to report to pretrial services on my OR bond I didn't I went back to jail! I had a new bond set used bail bondsman to get out ! Would the conditions be the same or would new conditions be set & me be informed because its a new bond

Matthew Williams
Matthew Williams answered on Nov 3, 2021

When a judge resets a bond they may or may not add/substract conditions. You should check with your lawyer or the court to make sure you understand the conditions of your current bond.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.