Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Identity Theft Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Identity Theft for California on
Q: Can I be charged 4 months after my case reads not guilty on all charges?

On 11/30/2016 my file reads not guilty on 4 felony counts. But on 3/13/2017, 1 of the charges I'm forced to take a plea bargin is this legal?

Joseph Abrams
Joseph Abrams answered on Jul 12, 2021

You present very limited facts here to really know what is going on. But to the extent you were previously found not guilty on a criminal charge after a trial, you cannot again be prosecuted by the same court for the same charge; in other words, you cannot be subjected to "double... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law, Domestic Violence and Identity Theft for California on
Q: Can you check to see if i have a warrant in ventura county my boyfriend is attempting to get rid of me. For a reason.

I know something about him that he absolutely doesnt want told. So he has planned ling and hard to make me appear something i am not. He physically and mentally terrorizes me.

John Karas
John Karas answered on Jul 5, 2021

As Abraham Lincoln (who was an attorney before he became president) once said, "An attorney's stock in trade is his (or her) time". If you want an attorney to find out if there is an outstanding warrant for your arrest, hire a lawyer.

Otherwise, go on the Ventura County...
Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Identity Theft and Stockbroker Fraud on
Q: I have been scammed by

Good day,

I'm writing to complain about possible scam by toptrade group. I just realized that I have been scammed after I requested for withdraw of some of the profits I made during trading.

I have deposited in total amount $7,001.59 usd and after several tradings and... Read more »

Bruce Alexander Minnick
Bruce Alexander Minnick answered on Jul 1, 2021

What you just did is called "locking the barn after the horses have been stolen."

As you found out, "Top Trade" is a well-known world-wide scam of the finest kind. The Good news is that you only lost your initial deposit of $7,000.

Standard advice for novice...
Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law, Federal Crimes, Identity Theft and Stockbroker Fraud for California on
Q: Who investigates false documents and fraud done to the deceased

Yeah because I have reason to believe that my father's name was changed my mother's name was changed and then they made everything look that way now people are benefiting from everything that's written on the story and then it appears that my father and my mother the identity was... Read more »

Joseph Abrams
Joseph Abrams answered on Jun 20, 2021

Most fraud offenses can be investigated by either local or federal authorities. If you have evidence of a criminal fraud or identity theft, you can begin by reporting that evidence to either your local police department of FBI field office.

- Law Office of Joseph Abrams, Anaheim, CA

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Identity Theft for California on
Q: Me and my girl are out bail . We are both being charged with handgun that was not in neither one of us possession.

The people that said I had gun have there stories mixed up. Now I think DA wants to get me with being ex felon charges. Can I qualify for probation . Or ankle monitor.

Dale S. Gribow
Dale S. Gribow answered on Jun 16, 2021



Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Products Liability, Identity Theft, Intellectual Property and Small Claims for Nevada on
Q: Social Security Administration lost my passports when sending us back through USPS without insurance. Possible to claim?

I applied for my 3-yr old daughter's social security number for her health insurance. Because of Covid, SSA required us to submit the original copies of her and my passports at their office. Once my daughter was approved of the SSN, the SSA office sent us back the passports through uninsured... Read more »

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing answered on Jun 11, 2021

You should make a report to the post office. Take your copy of that report and make a claim to Social Security. They may want to you reapply for your daughter's passport so they have the copy of the bills. They say no, talk to your congressperson & Senators--each has a staff member to... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Identity Theft for Michigan on
Q: In Michigan life estate deeded home laws. I am the son in 2016 I bought mom and dads house with cash no mortgage needed

Or wanted and I deeded back to them immediately with life estate deeded &recorded. Now in 2018 my bank claims they put a $945,000 future advance mortgage on their home thru me without their signature or consent. The attorney I had did not name my daughter as remainderman listed no one except me... Read more »

Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers answered on Jun 7, 2021

Lot going on here...are you saying that a mortgage was processed without signatures? You may need to contact the title company to help figure out what's going on.

3 Answers | Asked in Real Estate Law, Identity Theft, Trademark and Wrongful Death for West Virginia on
Q: Echo Red was my Favorite shoes ever they was the best quality and clothing is timeless how would someone get the brand?

Trademark and holding information I’d like to really revive this brand. I heard they went bankrupt or the revenue didn’t compensate for the money spent. But no wonder everything I ever seen is top quality.

Bill Hulsey
Bill Hulsey answered on Jun 6, 2021

Check USPTO TESS data base. It includes dead trademarks. There are other sources, too.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Identity Theft, Internet Law and Intellectual Property for Texas on
Q: A woman stealed a photo of me and my exgirlfriend and she uses it as a profile photo in social media. I’m married?

A woman stealed a photo of me and my exgirlfriend and she uses it as a profile photo in social media to say that I’m dating her while this is a lie. In the photo I’m kissing my ex girlfriend but only my face can be seen while my ex girlfriend face is hidden. She only uses that photo. I’m... Read more »

Randy Sorrels
Randy Sorrels answered on Jun 5, 2021

If she has put you in a false light by using this photo, then you may have a claim against her. You should first ask her to remove the photo immediately (in writing) though as an alternative to filing a lawsuit.

1 Answer | Asked in Identity Theft, Criminal Law and Federal Crimes for Kentucky on
Q: Hey I wanted to know what do I need to prove someone stole someone credit card Info and used it online to make purchase

We reviewed the footage and we have video of him putting his phone on the counter next to the computer and waving the cards over it is that enough proof?

Timothy Denison
Timothy Denison answered on May 29, 2021

Should be, especially if he left with the merchandise and you have the coinciding register receipts for the transaction.

1 Answer | Asked in Identity Theft and Small Claims for Kentucky on
Q: My older brother keeps using my card on his XBox for $15.89. Can I press charges?

I used it once and told him to take my card off his system, I got a notification a few days ago that it tried to go through again and told him AGAIN to take it off. Now it has went through AGAIN and he's mocking me that there's nothing I can do.

Timothy Denison
Timothy Denison answered on May 9, 2021

Cancel the card and get a new one.

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation and Identity Theft for Tennessee on
Q: Somebody stole and signed over my vehicle title to themselves and brought the police and got my vehicle what can I do

Columbia, Tennessee; Maury county

Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery answered on May 7, 2021

An action for Conversion in General Sessions Court might be best option. But it sounds like someone pawned the Title, then repossessed the collateral.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Federal Crimes and Identity Theft for Florida on
Q: Is this possible prosecution for credit card fraud

My sister has opened several credit cards in someone else's name, even got to withdraw a total about $5,000 from a Wellsfargo ATM (cc belonging to Wellsfargo) months ago, but this has happened over the course of a year or so, and nothing has happened, and today she received two calls she... Read more »

Andrew Popp
Andrew Popp answered on Apr 28, 2021

In short, yes. She will want to speak with a criminal defense attorney to represent her rights for these likely felonious charges. Depending on the number of charges brought, she could be looking at quite a long stay in federal prison.

1 Answer | Asked in Identity Theft for California on
Q: In 2018 i was hit with a bankruptcy on my credit report that is not mine . How can I remove it
Yelena Gurevich
Yelena Gurevich answered on Apr 26, 2021

you need to send a dispute letter to each credit bureau, identifying yourself clearly, and disputing the entry on your credit. The credit bureaus will then need to investigate and remove the entry. If they do not, you may have a case against them and at that point you will want to contact a... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Identity Theft for Tennessee on
Q: If my Ex girlfriend stole my stimulus check 2&3 and cashed both how should I press charges
Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery answered on Apr 15, 2021

Talk to your Sheriff's Department and ask to speak to an Investigator. Have all the facts ready to disclose the Theft of Property. Remember you are the witness/victim and you will have to testify, but it is the State's Case. When the Charges come up in Court tell the DA you want... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Tax Law, Divorce, Identity Theft and Small Claims for Illinois on
Q: Can I be forced to pay back the money my soon to be ex husband gave by court order when he filed joint tax return?

We are going through a nasty divorce which entails financial abuse, psychological abuse, mental abuse and sexual abuse. I told him and his then attorney (now fired or she quit, not sure which) that I was not going to file a joint tax return. I found out that he filed a joint return without my... Read more »

J. Richard Kulerski Esq.
J. Richard Kulerski Esq. answered on Apr 14, 2021

Your question is difficult to answer because your husband could not have filed a joint return properly without obtaining your signature on the joint return.

1 Answer | Asked in Business Formation, Identity Theft and Landlord - Tenant for Florida on
Q: How can I find an attorney that specializes in providing privacy to normal street Joes that have a w2 job & a house?

I just want to minimize my digital footprint exposed to the public by municipalities and commercial data brokers.

Bruce Alexander Minnick
Bruce Alexander Minnick answered on Apr 14, 2021

To the best of my knowledge, no such attorneys exist.

IMO, what you want to do is not possible in this nation of laws that intentionally encourage unlimited commercial advertising with its corresponding egregious invasion of privacy coupled with complete "transparency" of...
Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law, Estate Planning, Real Estate Law and Identity Theft for Texas on
Q: A friend who's in real estate said he can get us a $2million loan to get me started. What legal actions should I take?

After knowing how good my credit scores are. He then sent me an email to sign.

Kiele Linroth Pace
Kiele Linroth Pace answered on Apr 9, 2021

Why is this posted under the Criminal Law topic? Taking out a loan is not a crime. Do you suspect fraud?

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Collections and Identity Theft for Louisiana on
Q: If I did not write a worthless check on Dec 19, 2019 and receive a final notice from Caddo parish what can I do?

I got this 3/25/21and the amount owed is 732.61 to drug emporium. The account has been closed that the check was written on and NO ONE WOULD accept this if the business has TELECHECK.

Ellen Cronin Badeaux
Ellen Cronin Badeaux answered on Apr 2, 2021

1) File an incident report with the bank,

2) File a criminal complaint with the Sheriff.

1 Answer | Asked in Tax Law and Identity Theft for Arkansas on
Q: My sister did Instacart under my name after they kicked her off it. Instacart drivers are considered independent

contractors. I just received a 1099 for her earnings (approx $17,000) this additional income, put me over $50,000, disqualified me for the EIC, the addt'l CTC, reduced my CTC & will reduce my tax return by about $7,000. Is there anything she or I can do to get the 1099 transferred to her,... Read more »

Bruce Alexander Minnick
Bruce Alexander Minnick answered on Mar 26, 2021

Based on your story, IMO you and your sister have committed a fraudulent act--and are about to make it worse. Advice: Do not make it worse by involving the IRS. If you are unhappy that your sister got $17,000 tax free while leaving you holding the bag and making you pay an additional $7,000 to the... Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.