Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Identity Theft Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Contracts, Civil Litigation and Identity Theft for Texas on
Q: Who can I sue and how do I go about it?

A guy I know opened a joint account on an apartment in his and my name, I never lived in the apartment and never gave permission for my name to be used.

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Feb 25, 2021

A Texas attorney could advise best, but your post remains open for three weeks. If you consulted with attorneys who handle civil litigation, they should be able to advise. They could also identify necessary measures to be taken, such as notifying banks and other financial institutions. Good luck... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law, Identity Theft and White Collar Crime for California on
Q: Law authorities are constantly snooping on device and impersonation by intercepting txt/calls constantly. With intent...

to have my works and ideas with my identity. I have the information on individual to whom is sponsored by authorities. Fortunately I not needing criminal lawyer.

David Michael Lehr
David Michael Lehr answered on Feb 21, 2021

Law enforcement can only get a wire tap for 30 days at a time by court order. It often leads to an arrest. If you have not been arrested, or notified that you were tapped and that the investigation is finished, then you are probably not being tapped.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Business Law, Copyright, Identity Theft and Intellectual Property for California on
Q: INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY Can we make arguments for laws around transmission of signals being focus by trajectory on human


If processing of signals constantly being held consistent of my attention and/or just comprehension of just auditory vibration of non audio frequency in turn creates a usable feature for in chip processing products and telecommunications. So communication by exchanging of similarities... Read more »

Leonard R. Boyer
Leonard R. Boyer answered on Feb 17, 2021

Exactly what are you trying to accomplish? Your question is not clear.

1 Answer | Asked in Communications Law, Identity Theft and Internet Law for Missouri on
Q: I am needing an attory to assist me in getting some accounts closed online due to them being hacked can this be done?

I have a facebook account as well a paypal account that have been hacked and I have not been able to get either company to help me with getting them closed. I know who maybe behind this but that is a different story but I am up against the wall and want them closed and my cell phone numbers... Read more »

Ronald J. Eisenberg
Ronald J. Eisenberg answered on Feb 17, 2021

An attorney could contact the companies on your behalf and hopefully be taken seriously.

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Criminal Law, Federal Crimes and Identity Theft for Nebraska on
Q: can you sue a company for malpractice, when it's linked to synthetic idenity theft, mail fraud linked to synthetic

victum of crimes, idenity theft, synthteic idenity theft, full reports of synthetic idenity theft, mix match combinations of several diff ccredit reports to make up fake identies, extreme misuse and abuse of my ssn, linked to another ssn, causing all this hvac, in 2018 i was a mother in need, this... Read more »

Julie Fowler
Julie Fowler answered on Feb 17, 2021

I'm not sure I follow your question but the Federal Trade Commission has some suggested steps to take if you believe you are the victim of identity theft. This might be a good resource for you to start with.

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights, Consumer Law and Identity Theft for Michigan on
Q: My account was hacked then banned and the company who runs the service refuses to help, should I seek legal action?

I am not sure if i should get in contact with a lawyer about this issue due to not knowing if legal compensation is possible but i want to exhaust all my options. in short I have an account with the company Activison-blizzard (the people behind games like Call of Duty) this account was compromised... Read more »

Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers answered on Feb 11, 2021

What damages have you suffered? Has someone used this data against you? Has someone stolen money? Without actual damages, it's going to be tough finding a lawyer to do much more. I'm not sure how you'd be able to show them being complicit in data theft, let alone fraud, if the breach... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law, Federal Crimes and Identity Theft for California on
Q: Can I take someone to court for ssi fraud?

I have had primary custody of my child since 2014, the child was living with me since 2013 and has specials needs. His mother has 0 contact besides an occasional phone call. 2016 she filed SSI and collected income for the child threw SSA. She collected several thousands of dollars none of it went... Read more »

David Michael Lehr
David Michael Lehr answered on Feb 10, 2021

Call social security

View More Answers

3 Answers | Asked in Banking, Bankruptcy and Identity Theft for California on
Q: Do I need a bankruptcy lawyer

Identity theft not caught until my credit card account was long depleted for my business

Ernest Charles Payne Jr
Ernest Charles Payne Jr answered on Feb 6, 2021

File a police report for the identity theft (PC 530.5, et. al.) and a fraud claim with the bank and/or credit card company. You should not need to file bankruptcy.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law and Identity Theft for California on
Q: Someone took out a title loan on my car without my knowledge. My car was repossessed and repo agent charging me 150

To retrieve my belongings and are keeping my car. I filed police report and sent to the lender. How do I get my car back since I had no knowledge of a title loan

Yelena Gurevich
Yelena Gurevich answered on Feb 3, 2021

Get a copy of the loan and see who signed it and who it was given to. Are you the only person on title to the vehicle? Check your credit to see if this loan is being reported on your credit reports (go to You may need to hire an attorney to sort all this out. Time is... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Identity Theft, Intellectual Property and Internet Law for California on
Q: Hello, since when are "security agents" danish welfare recipients in Mexico. Those people are stalkers and thiefs.

*Since when are they danish welfare recipients?

There has been defamation surrounding my nationality status. It appears to be that what I did under a danish nationality has been transferred to other people due to claims of it being false, which is a lie, as I even hold father's... Read more »

Dale S. Gribow
Dale S. Gribow answered on Jan 26, 2021

more info needed.

i don't understand what you are asking and suspect my brethren won't either.

View More Answers

2 Answers | Asked in Identity Theft for California on
Q: A recovery facility gave my belongings to another client. They are using my debit card for fraudulent charges.

While staying at a recovery facility in Riverside, California, the facility gave my belongings to another patient who is continuing to use my debit cards for fraudulent charges. Do I have a case?

Maurice Mandel II
Maurice Mandel II answered on Jan 26, 2021

Of course you have a case if a facility is allowing fraudulent use of your debit/credit cards. You need to contact your local police regarding the fraudulent charges and file a criminal complaint. You should also, immediately close the bank account that the cards are drawing from, and move it to... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Banking, Consumer Law and Identity Theft for California on
Q: How long can Charles Schwab hold my money legally after they close my account. They said I was in chex systems

They said I was in chex systems so they can't open my account due to fraud. I sent them my California ID along with a utility bill as a second proof of address. As a courtesy. To help expedite on proof of who I am. They keep telling me someone from fraud will call me. To tell me how I can go... Read more »

Ian B. Lyngklip
Ian B. Lyngklip answered on Jan 25, 2021

If they are telling you that there is a problem with ChexSystems, there are two problems. The first problem is that ChexSystems is a credit reporting agency that publishes data relating to bank and checking accounts. The major banks report NSF checks to ChexSystems, and that agency regularly... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Identity Theft for Ohio on
Q: I discovered I have warrant for my arrest. This was absolutely not me. My brother stole my identity and the report shows

He used my social security number and got away with letting me get a M1 theft charge. When I found out I immediately called the sheriff department. They read to me part of the Incident report which proved it wasn't brother. It was stated he was driving his girlfriend's car(which is how I... Read more »

Dimitrios Makridis
Dimitrios Makridis answered on Jan 25, 2021

You need to hire an experienced criminal defense attorney to represent you.

1 Answer | Asked in Identity Theft for Missouri on
Q: My information was stolen off my Equifaxe credit report just found out today
Ronald J. Eisenberg
Ronald J. Eisenberg answered on Jan 18, 2021

What's your legal question?

I'm not sure if you have an issue with Equifax or are instead a victim of identity theft?

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Identity Theft for Mississippi on
Q: Can I be tried for a identity theft misdemeanor that happened 5 years ago
Arthur Calderon
Arthur Calderon answered on Jan 14, 2021

Unfortunately, you can be; however, there is definitely an argument that the case should be dismissed due to lack of a speedy trial. I would highly encourage you to reach out to a criminal defense lawyer to talk about the details of your case, as a motion for dismissal hinges on very particular... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Trademark, Communications Law and Identity Theft for Alaska on
Q: If I should change my domain name, would this change be of any damage to my original trademark invention?
Timothy John Billick
Timothy John Billick answered on Jan 6, 2021

Please update this question with more information

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Identity Theft, Public Benefits and Social Security for Rhode Island on
Q: My daughter's father died in Jan '20 the 1st stim. check still went to him and I never got it. How do I get the 2nd ch

He received the first stimulus check to his address I'm assuming his mother took it because I never got it. After he died Jan 2nd 2020 his father did his taxes and claimed my daughter so will my second stimulus check be sent there also? How do I make sure that it goes to the right place. Also... Read more »

Susan Michele Schaefer
Susan Michele Schaefer answered on Jan 5, 2021

The IRS handles the Economic Income Payments (stimulus checks). IRS will be issuing the second round of payments based on the information the IRS has on file for your 2019 tax return, the information provided by Non-Filers tool, payment information entered on the Get My Payment tool, or information... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law, Federal Crimes and Identity Theft for Texas on
Q: If the person commits a crime under protective order intentionally commit disaster fraud2017 ,then commits theft steals

Equipment belonging to same veteran, and veteran violated protective order by driving in front of home one year penalty in jail will veteran be incarcerated even if he was the victim of many thefts

Kiele Linroth Pace
Kiele Linroth Pace answered on Dec 25, 2020

A person is not allowed to violate the law just because they are a veteran. However, some jurisdictions have a special program to give veterans one chance to avoid a conviction by completing 12 to 24 months of sobriety treatment instead. The programs are available to veterans who committed crimes... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Child Support, Gov & Administrative Law, Identity Theft and Criminal Law for Wisconsin on
Q: State vs ex to court for unpaid support for 3 children. He just stole from her EPPIC card

The State is taking my daughter's ex boyfriend to court for unpaid child support for their 3 young children. He owes > 15K.

Daughter just discovered he stole and used her EPPIC card and spent $600 on Bitcoin. (She filed a police report). He stole her identity 18 months ago, along... Read more »

Jane E. Probst
Jane E. Probst answered on Dec 20, 2020

The matter with the credit card is a civil matter, not a child support matter. These are independent actions. The State has filed an action to require him to pay support and arrears. If he has failed to pay for a sufficient length of time and the Child Support Enforcement has run out of options... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Identity Theft for Colorado on
Q: How can I find out if charges were filed and who it was?

The ID was released from evidence to me, and the letter has a case number but not one I recognize as usually they'd have the year and the classification (cr, m. T etcc) and this doesn't and the letter also has a cfs number no citation number and I've looked it up and havent found anything.

Sean Maye
Sean Maye answered on Dec 15, 2020

An attorney can help look that up for you by name, date of birth and other case information.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.