Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Indiana Business Formation Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Contracts, Business Formation and Business Law for Indiana on
Q: My dad was the sole owner of an llc. He has since passed away. Do we restructure or start a new one?
Michael Ray Smith
Michael Ray Smith answered on Jan 16, 2022

A single member LLC is dissolved unless, within 90 days of the member's death, the deceased member's personal representative takes action to designate at least one new member. If an attorney was hired to handle the probate estate, talk to that attorney about it, or contact a lawyer... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Business Formation and Trademark for Indiana on
Q: Hi I want to use a fish in my logo for a christian clothing site can I be sued by christian mile or anything like that
London Davenport
London Davenport answered on Dec 21, 2021

You should hire a trademark attorney to assist you with a trademark search and filing the application for your mark.

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Copyright, Business Formation and Business Law for Indiana on
Q: Can I buy a website very similar to a popular brand’s site and use that to sell similar merchandise?

The website I would be buying is the same words just moved around. And the merchandise would potentially be clothing designed to look similar to the original brand’s clothing but not the same. Or would it be legal to offer this new and similar domain to the owner of the original for a price?

Marcos Garciaacosta
Marcos Garciaacosta answered on Jan 8, 2021

don't do it

too close for comfort

you can be sued

consult with an attorney

1 Answer | Asked in Personal Injury, Business Formation and Employment Discrimination for Indiana on
Q: I need help with a job related incident
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Dec 11, 2020

An Indiana attorney could advise best, but your question remains open for a week. If the incident involved an injury sustained in the course of employment (you included personal injury in your categories), you could reach out to a workers' compensation attorney. Many offer free initial... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Bankruptcy and Business Formation for Indiana on
Q: How can I get information on my bankruptcy records from 2010-2011

I filed in 2010 and my case was closed in 2011

W. J. Winterstein Jr.
W. J. Winterstein Jr. answered on Oct 14, 2020

Google, and sign up It's free. Then go to, and click on "free resources in the upper right of the opening page. It will give you a list of all the bankruptcy court websites. Click on Indiana, then choose the Indiana "ecf" site. You will need the... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Business Formation for Indiana on
Q: Do I need to hire a lawyer to help me decipher the laws in Indiana about required masks for teachers?

I have been told it will be required periodically for my job as a teacher.

Ana Maria Del Valle-Aguilera
Ana Maria Del Valle-Aguilera answered on Jun 13, 2020

You should not need a lawyer for that. Requirements for schools and teachers would be made public and in common English (no legalese). The Dept. of Education has sources available to you. Go to:... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Business Formation, Business Law and Contracts for Indiana on
Q: Is it legal to use art for commercial use from a minor, if said art was bought as a comission?

We're making a show, and for the show we need art, we have a very talented artist that wants to help us but the problem is they are underage. We're wondering is it possible to use the art from the minor for commercial use if we bought it as a commission? If not, would we have to end up... Read more »

Barbara Berschler
Barbara Berschler answered on May 17, 2020

When you say "use" the art, what do you mean? You are able to resell a painting, like you could resell a book. However, buying the item does not give you rights in the copyright associated with the work.

Because a minor is involved, you need to tread carefully. Minors are not...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Business Formation, Business Law and Tax Law for Indiana on
Q: If I am 1% partner in a business, how would it impact my taxes or other financial profile

Actually my cousin in Canada wants to register a business in US so that he could provide consulting services in US. He needs me to be the 1% partner so he could register a business in US since I am a resident and soon would be a citizen. I am doing MBA at Kelley School of Business and a have hefty... Read more »

D. Mathew Blackburn
D. Mathew Blackburn answered on Dec 8, 2019

It depends on the corporate structure and jurisdiction. It'll also depend on your other income. You'll most likely have additional reporting requirements personally. You're best off finding a tax expert to advise you on this.

1 Answer | Asked in Business Formation, Business Law, Civil Litigation and Tax Law for Indiana on
Q: What can i do to get my money back from hotel that has charged me taxes after 30 days consecutively in being a resident?

I have the receipt from the time I started living here. I believe they are messing with the books. My receipt says taxes was off but I'm paying the same price plus 25 dollars more. The owner raised the rent during the race. I do not know what avenues to take to get my money or how to start the... Read more »

Bruce Alexander Minnick
Bruce Alexander Minnick answered on Jul 24, 2019

If you have a written contract covering your extended stay both you and the hotel are bound by the terms of the written contract. And if the contract was for 30 days the hotel can raise your room rate on day 31 going forward. Why? Because under most state laws hotels can change their room rates at... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Business Formation and Business Law for Indiana on
Q: In an LLC, can members be anonymous to othwr members?

If a non management member doesnt want their information made available to other non management members, can that be done? Example, if a member doesnt want the other non management members to know their ownership percentage or capital investments, can that be with held from the other non management... Read more »

Benton R Patterson III
Benton R Patterson III answered on Apr 20, 2018

An attorney would need to review the LLC operating agreement. It may be easier to multiple business entities to mask the owner's identify. You should speak with a local business attorney.

1 Answer | Asked in Health Care Law, Business Formation, Elder Law and Personal Injury for Indiana on
Q: My wife and I are caring for her mother in our home. Is a LLC or corporation a precaution to limit our liability ?

We are experienced caregivers but wonder about repercussions from a fall or injury to my mother in law.

Chase T Wilson
Chase T Wilson answered on Apr 28, 2017

I'm not sure how you'd be held liable for anything here if you're taking care of your daughter's mother. Forming an LLC seems like a bit much.

1 Answer | Asked in Business Formation, Business Law and Securities Law for Indiana on
Q: I pitched a technology start-up idea to a family relative, he liked it and agreed to invest.

He is neither a US citizen nor a resident, and he does not want to be listed in the US Startups (even if the law allows him to). He wants to invest via a loan instrument, which I am expected to pay back whenever the model succeeds, beyond which we will share all profits as partners. This therefore... Read more »

Jonathan R. Roth
Jonathan R. Roth answered on Apr 10, 2017

The answer to your question depends on the Tax Treaty between your relatives home country and the USA. Generally, interest paid to foreign nationals on loans made in the USA are subject to US taxes and withholding. The amount of the tax and the withholding is dictated by a tax treaty between the... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Business Law, Business Formation and DUI / DWI for Indiana on
Q: Can you get a liquor license in Indiana if you had a OWI in 2012
Paul Stanko
Paul Stanko answered on Oct 2, 2016

You need to provide more information. Were you convicted or just arrested?

1 Answer | Asked in Business Formation for Indiana on
Q: What do I need to do to buy a mom and pop business that is for sell.

The owner is very ill and the business is up for sell very recently. It is a hot dog, pizza and mainly ice cream shop that is well established in my community.

Charles Snyderman
Charles Snyderman answered on May 16, 2014

You should hire an experienced attorney who can assist you with a contract, due diligence, and the closing.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.