Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Insurance Bad Faith Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Car Accidents and Insurance Bad Faith for Pennsylvania on
Q: Personal Invoice from an Auto Insurance Company with no accident report or claim to our Insurance

11/2020, son was involved in minor parking lot auto accident- backing out of a parking space in a corner lot when a man driving a company truck cut through the lot to avoid a traffic light causing a minor collision. No damage to either vehicle because my son was in reverse and barely moving. Guy... Read more »

Randy Bryan Ligh
Randy Bryan Ligh answered on May 13, 2021

You (and your insurance company) are responsible for damages caused in the collision only if you (in this case your son) was at fault in the collision. Additionally, the person claiming damages has the burden of proof of more likely than not to show that the damages he asserts were caused by the... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Banking, Insurance Bad Faith and Insurance Defense for New York on
Q: what to do if my bank refuses my father's life insurance claim?

My father's bank refuses to pay me by telling me that my father did not contributed the last months before his death without giving me any official paper or proof. My father contributed to this insurance for more than 30 years and it's a shame not to get any penny..

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on May 9, 2021

I'm sorry for your ordeal that makes a difficult situation even more painful. It appears you've already requested records. It's difficult to offer step-by-step instructions here, as the next step could possibly require litigating the claim, depending on the situation. Reach out to... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Insurance Bad Faith for Arizona on
Q: If ins. co. provides trans. to and from Dr. appts but they are a no show or are to late which require a rescheduling

sometimes the same day and still a no show. Then when they do provide trip to appt. they are 2hrs late on return pickup. Is this consider Insurance Bad Faith? Especially since my son has high function Asperger's but was unable to do these appt. alone because transportation was completely... Read more »

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on May 7, 2021

An Arizona attorney could advise best, but your post remains open for four weeks. No, as a general matter, something like that is not generally considered bad faith, unless it was done with some kind of deliberate harmful motive. It could simply be difficult transportation arrangements. Bad faith... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Insurance Bad Faith, Insurance Defense, Criminal Law and Traffic Tickets for Texas on
Q: If proof of insurance was provided to the court do they verify it?

If someone received a ticker for Financial Responsibility (No Insurance) and they showed the court they had a policy during the date of ticket is the case dismissed immediately or is the insurance policy verified? Not speaking of fake insurance but if you can't remember if it was cancelled or... Read more »

Kiele Linroth Pace
Kiele Linroth Pace answered on May 5, 2021

They will probably verify it unless someone is being lazy.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Insurance Bad Faith and Insurance Defense for Louisiana on
Q: Is it normal for an insurance company to ask for the death certificate of someone you share a name with?

My mom and aunt share a name and birthday, different years, she claims her insurance was canceled in 2018 because they thought she was my mom who died in 2016. Her insurance Risa asking for my moms death certificate to reinstate her . I assumed her ssn would be enough .

Ellen Cronin Badeaux
Ellen Cronin Badeaux answered on May 5, 2021

No, asking for death cert is normal.

2 Answers | Asked in Car Accidents and Insurance Bad Faith for Pennsylvania on
Q: Someone slammed into my car and totaled it. My insurance company is only covering the value of the car. Which leaves me

Owing 900$ and also i am out the 4,000$ I paid in cash. Car under a year old. Can i go after her insurance company for the 4,900$??

Randy Bryan Ligh
Randy Bryan Ligh answered on Apr 29, 2021

More details are needed and I wish you had spoken and/or hired an attorney about this already, however what's done is done and hopefully you have not lost any rights-----you need to speak to an injury/accident lawyer in your area and discuss your options----use the Find a Lawyer tab and search... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Insurance Bad Faith, Insurance Defense and Medical Malpractice for California on
Q: is there a whistleblower reward available for reporting insurance fraud in california?

a business is allowing a doctors office to “recruit” patients on its premises. one of the managers is receiving a referral bonus (cash) for every employee that goes and has any procedure (bonus is from the dr office not from the employer). on top of that the doctors office offering new... Read more »

William John Light
William John Light answered on Apr 22, 2021

Insurance fraud is a crime, so contact the police. You can also contact the Medical Board, which licenses and disciplines physicians.

You can also retain an attorney to file your own lawsuit against the medical providers under the Insurance...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Insurance Bad Faith for California on
Q: What can we do when our Travel Protection insurance claim was denied after giving proof of being sick with Covid?

Our 20th anniversary Kauai trip was planned for 4/01 - 4/08. All back up documentation was given to Red Sky Travel Insurance, including the "Attending Physician Statement" but I was still denied reimbursement. Red Sky Travel Insurance company replied with "after testing positive... Read more »

William John Light
William John Light answered on Apr 19, 2021

You will have to explain why the insurance company was wrong. Its math appears to be correct.

1 Answer | Asked in Insurance Bad Faith and Insurance Defense for Ohio on
Q: I had been beneficiary on daughter life insurance she passed in June & her mama got all of it somehow, what do I do

We had purchased it together when my daughter was younger, 2 yrs ago her mama said she dropped it. I am having to pay all of my daughter's debts while her grandmother gets the life insurancepolicy

Matthew Williams
Matthew Williams answered on Apr 19, 2021

It's a little unclear what happened here, but it sounds to me like grandma bought a policy with you as beneficiary, later canceled that policy, and bought a new one with her as beneficiary. If that's the case, its her money. Were you paying any premiums? Do you have the policy documents?

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation, Construction Law and Insurance Bad Faith for Maryland on
Q: Insurance breached settlement agreement. WHY?

Why would a insurance company breach a settlement agreement?? I settled a property damage claim with an insurance company. Property damage 60k Personal property also 60k. Under the settlement agreement they had to do work on my condo to make the condo watertight, hiring an engineer for... Read more »

Randy Bryan Ligh
Randy Bryan Ligh answered on Apr 14, 2021

If you do not have an attorney, then I certainly recommend that you hire one at this time to assist your in either enforcing the settlement agreement and/or reaching an alternate resolution-----a lot of times the insurance company will not proceed accordingly without an attorney on the other side.

1 Answer | Asked in Car Accidents, Contracts and Insurance Bad Faith for New Jersey on
Q: I bought a used car with Gap insurance included in contract from Demaio Holdings 1, and a day later, was totaled

The dealership will not provide me with info on who to file a gap coverage claim with. The car was paid off by my insurance company but for $2k.

Morris Leo Greb
Morris Leo Greb answered on Apr 8, 2021

Retain an attorney to represent you both with demanding documentation, proof that dealer forwarded premium to the carrier, and to determine whether dealer is an unlicensed vendor of insurance.

1 Answer | Asked in Insurance Bad Faith and Insurance Defense for Maryland on
Q: i rear ended someone in MD and i was uninsured back in oct/2020 and the insurance company is trying to subrogate

the insurance company is trying to subrogate against me for almost 20k and are not willing to work out payment plans under $900+ per month, which i’m unable to afford. Also, the other driver was my neighbor at the time and he only had his bumper and tailgate replaced as a result of the accident,... Read more »

Mark Oakley
Mark Oakley answered on Apr 6, 2021

Bankruptcy. Talk to a bankruptcy attorney. You may qualify for a full discharge under Chapter 7 or a 3-5 year payment plan for a portion of the debt with small payments under a Chapter 13, and then discharge the balance. If the insurance company hasn't obtained a court judgment against you... Read more »

3 Answers | Asked in Insurance Bad Faith, Car Accidents and Small Claims for Georgia on
Q: Can I still file a lawsuit for property damage against insured if their adjuster sent a check that I didn’t agree to?

Hello I put in a claim with at fault insurance for damages to my car, they deny me in 2 days. Almost 2 months later they change it to 60%, I reject it because their client was fully at fault. A year later the person that was driving my car wins his personal injury claim for $25k, six months after I... Read more »

Chris White
Chris White answered on Mar 30, 2021

Call me for a free consultation (434) 660-9701

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Insurance Bad Faith for Louisiana on
Q: What constitutes burglary in Louisiana? Does there need to be evidence of forced entry to prove burglary?

I have been told that I have burglary coverage, but not theft coverage and that is why they cannot honor my claim. The "theft" occurred inside my locked door to my apartment bedroom. The representative told me because there is no proof of forced entry into my room it is therefore, theft... Read more »

Ellen Cronin Badeaux
Ellen Cronin Badeaux answered on Mar 25, 2021

Burglary can be of a "dwelling" not a "room". But it does not require forced entry, only unauthorized entry.

1 Answer | Asked in Insurance Bad Faith for California on
Q: Is it better to get hit with a lawsuit or try and pay Subrogation claim?

There was an accident that happened over 2 years ago and I received a call saying that I have a Subrogation claim against my a claim agency called Recovery Partners. They're saying that I have to pay $6500 or they'll file a Lawsuit against me.

William John Light
William John Light answered on Mar 24, 2021

You can negotiate the amount, or negotiate payments, or file bankruptcy, or hire an attorney to defend a lawsuit, etc., etc. Which is the best option would require a lot more information.

3 Answers | Asked in Car Accidents, Insurance Bad Faith and Insurance Defense for California on
Q: Car insurance said that they will not be responsible to cover my at fault collision. Are they able to refuse?

They called me 4 days after I reported that I was in a collision and informing them that I was at fault. They said that they will cancel my policy and will not cover the accident because I did not report my 15 yr old brother as a household member and he was in the vehicle at the time of the... Read more »

Dale S. Gribow
Dale S. Gribow answered on Mar 16, 2021



View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Insurance Bad Faith and Sexual Harassment for Nebraska on
Q: Can I get the school district to pay for outside counseling for my daughter, after being sexual harassed by a teacher?

The teacher is being investigated by the police, he has resigned and admitted to his wrongdoing. Charges have not been filed yet.

Julie Fowler
Julie Fowler answered on Mar 9, 2021

Maybe. Contact an attorney to assist with the case. This could potentially be a service offered or a term of a settlement agreement.

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation, Products Liability and Insurance Bad Faith for Montana on
Q: While traveling from California to Montana in January I acquired AAA Towing services $5000+ plus was stolen. Now what?

I left Cali Friday 01/22/21. On The 23rd east of Truckee Nevada I had blown a tire. Wile stuck on side of the road for 6 - 8 hours looking for ways to get it fixed that day the 23rd. AAA had assured me more than once that it would be taken care of that day and even gave me a phone they could get my... Read more »

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing answered on Mar 6, 2021

File a theft complaint with the police if you haven't already. File a claim with your insurance company. Contact Tripple A.

Contact a member of the Nevada Trial Lawyers Assn who handles insurance to see if you have any claim--I'm not seeing it.

You have a claim agasint...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Insurance Bad Faith, Insurance Defense and Products Liability for Arizona on
Q: What are my rights as a renter of a vehicle when i notice the companies self insurance is expired?
Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing answered on Mar 6, 2021

you can turn in the rental--and may want to. If you have your own coverage, ask about it from your insurer. However, the big issue is property damage and if you paid for that you want to know you are covered.

1 Answer | Asked in Insurance Bad Faith for Florida on
Q: How to revoke insurance license from operating in state of florida

Insure company stepped out of Florida guidelines by violating rules.

Terrence H Thorgaard
Terrence H Thorgaard answered on Mar 5, 2021

You don't. That's up to the state agency that regulates insurance companies. You have no standing.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.