Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Internet Law Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Copyright, Civil Rights, Intellectual Property and Internet Law on
Q: Can I sue someone for illegally redistributing my product(closed source) without my permissions.

the guy shared the source code of my product to a competitor which should count as a damage, and I have screenshots of him admitting that he illegally redistributed the code. And I banned redistribution in my terms of sale

Marcos Garciaacosta
Marcos Garciaacosta answered on Oct 25, 2021

Probably. It depends on several factors including your terms and conditions of sale.

Consult with an attorney.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Internet Law for Utah on
Q: I let my Girlfriend (now ex) use my laptop to access the internet for work purposes. She went into my email and took pic

I let my now ex girlfriend use my laptop so that she could use the internet for work purpose. She accessed my email, took photos of certain emails and has sent those photos to family and friends. The emails were personal (not illegal in any manner) and I did not give her permission to access my... Read more »

Mike Branum
Mike Branum answered on Oct 20, 2021

Since you allowed her to access the computer without supervision and the images themselves are not illegal, then it is highly unlikely a crime has occurred. You might have some civil recourse against her for publishing without your permission. Those emails are your intellectual property. Libel and... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Internet Law and Juvenile Law for Illinois on
Q: My 13 year old gave another kid his I p and Google it upon which was sent by the other kid to a user in another state to

Which that person launched a DOS attack on the school disabling wifi. Now my child is being charged with a level 5 felony. Can this be true if he did not launch the attack?

Alexander Ivakhnenko
Alexander Ivakhnenko answered on Sep 30, 2021

There is no such thing as "level five felony in Illinois", as Illinois has the following felony Classes: 1, 2, 3, 4, and X.

You must immediately discuss your minor's child criminal exposure off any public venue or fora with a competent licensed attorney as that situation has...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Internet Law for Mississippi on
Q: what can I legally do to stop a x from harassing me my family my friends and everyone else that I am related to

what can I legally do to stop a x from harassing me my family my friends and everyone else that I am related to. they have been harassing for close to 3 months I have asked them to stop repeatedly and took screenshots my family has asked them to stop repeatedly and they keep making you profiles to... Read more »

Arthur Calderon
Arthur Calderon answered on Sep 29, 2021

On the front end, your best bet is going to be to contact local law enforcement to fill out a police report. If the problem persists, then there is a possibility of a civil lawsuit against the person.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Internet Law for Florida on
Q: Is it illegal to take pictures of someone's house in ormond beach florida?

I am in California. The house is in Ormond Beach Florida. The house belongs to a vile, mentally unstable woman that has bullied me and others online for almost a year. A friend in Florida offered to go by her house and take pictures. He ended up confessing to her that he took the pictures. I did... Read more »

Henry George Ferro
Henry George Ferro answered on Sep 25, 2021

Generally speaking the taking of photographs of real property is not a crime. However you’re choice of words about the resident would give one reason to question your acts and motive. One last observation, you should be very careful about what you choose to put on the internet…all you have... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Personal Injury, Civil Rights and Internet Law for Indiana on
Q: I got a question so as a victim do I have to testify at a bail revocation

Cause the person who did this violated the no contact order and the bail revocation hearing is before the trial

Charles Candiano
Charles Candiano answered on Aug 22, 2021

Only if you want his/her bail revoked.

2 Answers | Asked in Entertainment / Sports, Internet Law and Trademark on
Q: Under what agreement do I have to register my company which currently own a production company?

This company is mostly about making entertainments videos, movies,dramas,films and musics which is what I aim to achieve on this company. That is why i want to know how I can register it. At the moment we are screwed. The company has more than 44 new volunteer applicants.

Marcos Garciaacosta
Marcos Garciaacosta answered on Aug 6, 2021

It is unclear what your question or need is.

You need the assistance of an attorney to identify your next steps.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Sexual Harassment, Internet Law and Criminal Law for Oklahoma on
Q: I am being blackmailed with a video of sexual nature taken of me at 16.

I have proof of him threatening me directly and through another person. He has harassed me on and off since I dated him a year ago. He harassed me and other girl last night and is not threatening to post said video as a way to keep me quiet about his harassment last night.

Charles Watts
Charles Watts answered on Aug 4, 2021

Contact an attorney as well as file a police report regarding the harassment and threats, and consider potentially filing a VPO. There are specific statutes regarding this type of crime and it should be taken seriously.

1 Answer | Asked in Copyright and Internet Law for New York on
Q: Are rewritten articles legal?

It is widely known, that it is illegal, to copy articles 1: 1 from Websites and then publish them under your own name on your blog.

However, what about rewritten articles? To what extent do articles have to be rewritten in order to be safe with the copyrights laws?

Marcos Garciaacosta
Marcos Garciaacosta answered on Jul 25, 2021

Depends. You need to consult with an attorney.

You can write about the same topics, but the words and order, the creation itself, needs to be unique, in order to be safe.

1 Answer | Asked in Copyright, Business Law, Intellectual Property and Internet Law for Arizona on
Q: Does a volunteer own the intellectual property they create for a company if no agreement is made saying otherwise?

In the US (specifically Arizona), if you create intellectual property (e.g. website, social media channels and 3rd party sales channels) as a volunteer (I was a volunteer in a business my husband was a co-owner in, I was not paid, wasn't asked to do create the IP nor directed in any way and... Read more »

Marcos Garciaacosta
Marcos Garciaacosta answered on Jul 23, 2021

Depends on any communications or agreement.

Most likely any creation would be considered as a gift.

Depending on the value of the creation an attorney can advise you on what to do

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Internet Law and Juvenile Law for New Jersey on
Q: My daughter is being cyberbullied by other students and the school is not doing anything to fix this. What to do?
Amber Forrester
Amber Forrester answered on Jul 15, 2021

While you may not be able to do much to force the school to take action, there is a criminal offense in NJ pertaining to cyber-harassment (found on this site by searching for 2C:33-4.1) and you could file a complaint at the police department against those bullying her under that statute. That said,... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Copyright, Internet Law and Trademark for Massachusetts on
Q: My dad was an ebay guy in the 90s . I was mailed to him then. Does he still controll it? Not used in years than

I found a catalogue mailed to my dads house. No postal stamp that I see. He was an EBay guy back in 98 to 02. I never knew of But a catalogue was mailed to his house with that in the name line. Could he still have controll of that name? Could it be sold to pay for his long term... Read more »

Omar Darwich
Omar Darwich answered on Jul 9, 2021

alot of depends here. I think more facts are going to be needed.

best course of action would be to consult with an attorney

1 Answer | Asked in Federal Crimes, Internet Law, Small Claims and Trademark for New York on
Q: Can I sue someone if they borrowed around 10k from me and he hasn’t returned it since.I’ve asked multiple times for it.

I have text history of giving him this money but I’m not sure if that’s considered legitimate evidence. This man continuously ghosts me everytime after he promised he would get it to me.

Linda Liang
Linda Liang answered on Jul 5, 2021

Yes, you can. Text history is a form of proof if it clearly indicates the debt and the other party did not dispute.

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation, Internet Law, Libel & Slander and Small Claims for California on
Q: How can you add up pain and suffering and what proof do you need to show the court?

I am being sued for $10,000. For lost wages plus pain and suffering. The plaintiff has no proof of numbers. How does one show proof?

Randy Bryan Ligh
Randy Bryan Ligh answered on Jun 16, 2021

Pain and suffering, like all elements of a claim, is shown via evidence, which comes in the form of testimony and documentation. Further, there is no calculable way to quantify pain and suffering--each case is different.

1 Answer | Asked in Copyright and Internet Law for New Jersey on
Q: Can I read children's books on sites like Youtube? If so, am I also allowed to display the pages of the book for viewer

Is reading a children's book online legal as long as you aren't trying to monetize it? (New Jersey)

Marcos Garciaacosta
Marcos Garciaacosta answered on Jun 7, 2021

Monetizing has nothing to do with copyright violation.

You should be careful and consult with an attorney.

1 Answer | Asked in Identity Theft, Internet Law and Intellectual Property for Texas on
Q: A woman stealed a photo of me and my exgirlfriend and she uses it as a profile photo in social media. I’m married?

A woman stealed a photo of me and my exgirlfriend and she uses it as a profile photo in social media to say that I’m dating her while this is a lie. In the photo I’m kissing my ex girlfriend but only my face can be seen while my ex girlfriend face is hidden. She only uses that photo. I’m... Read more »

Randy Sorrels
Randy Sorrels answered on Jun 5, 2021

If she has put you in a false light by using this photo, then you may have a claim against her. You should first ask her to remove the photo immediately (in writing) though as an alternative to filing a lawsuit.

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts, Criminal Law, Internet Law and Juvenile Law for Virginia on
Q: Can they take my daughter or me to jail for fraud

My daughter had an Instagram (made her delete it) she’s 16 and wants to become a model. Someone approached her saying they were a company, everything was pretty suspicious from what i saw. She said she was interested and filled out a form asking about measurements, phone number, address, model... Read more »

Steven Krieger
Steven Krieger answered on Jun 1, 2021

A contract with a minor is usually unenforceable and it doesn't seem like a criminal violation if they gave her the money (as opposed to her stealing the money). If she's contacted by law enforcement, reach out to a lawyer ASAP. I'm sure anyone who responds would be happy to help. Good luck.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Federal Crimes and Internet Law for Arizona on
Q: Is this pediatricians encouraging parents to violate cp laws?

"Mink says pediatricians should ask parents to video-tape the episodes before performing invasive and often expensive tests that could be unnecessary."

Um.... Doesn't us code 2252 and 2251 prohibit people from recording their children engaging in these types of activities?... Read more »

Mike Branum
Mike Branum answered on May 28, 2021

If a pediatrician asked a parent to videotape a behavior for diagnostic purposes, I believe a court would find such recording an exception to any law prohibiting such. If the person doing the recording was my client, I would ensure it is delivered to the physician as soon as possible after... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Business Law, Civil Rights, Gov & Administrative Law and Internet Law for California on
Q: Can the president of an HOA prevent a board member from engaging residents on social media? Which law supports this?

I found some protections for members of legislative bodies in the Gov code (Chapter 9. Meetings [54952.2], but those pertain to public entities and our HOA is a private nonprofit corporation.... Read more »

Louis George Fazzi
Louis George Fazzi answered on May 27, 2021

The 1st Amendment of the U.S. Constitution protects the freedom of speech. It is also protected by the California Constitution in Article 1, section 2 which states: "SEC. 2. (a) Every person may freely speak, write and publish his or her sentiments on all subjects, being responsible for the... Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.