Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Iowa Questions & Answers
3 Answers | Asked in Immigration Law for Iowa on
Q: Eligibility for a transfer of i-485

I have an I-485 adjustment of status pending which was filed through my ex-husband's employment (i-140, EB-2 NIW) (I am a derivative applicant). We applied concurrently i-140 and i-485. Both forms are still pending. We were married for more than 2 years. I divorced my husband and got married... Read more »

Alexander Ivakhnenko
Alexander Ivakhnenko answered on Dec 12, 2021

I’ll be honest with you; both immigration cases require a licensed immigration attorney. There is no other way to handle it professionally.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Real Estate Law for Iowa on
Q: If two individuals own a property, both names are on the deed, do you need permission from both owners to say, hunt?

The property is in Iowa and it is owned by two family members. We just need clarification if permission is needed from both owners before anyone can hunt, fish, or ride four wheelers on the property. Thank you.

Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery answered on Dec 3, 2021

Either Tenant In Common can prohibit you from hunting on the property. So it would be much better to get written permission from all owners. One owner might not know about the other giving permission and put you in jail. You want to keep both owners happy. Game Wardens will also want permission... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law for Iowa on
Q: I live in the state of Iowa what does filing the requisite affidavit and proceeding with service by publication mean?

Is there an specific form for filing this petition after receiving approval from the judge/court? I recently just filed a motion seeking official approval to file the petition/affidavit for doing this? Cant find the name of the form that can be filled out and completed.

Michael Riley
Michael Riley answered on Dec 2, 2021

Google Iowa court forms. The site has legal forms for unrepresented parties.

1 Answer | Asked in Employment Law and Business Law for Iowa on
Q: I’m being asked to sign a non-disparagement agreement in order to collect a severance package.

Are conversations held prior to the presentation of the agreement excluded?

Joseph B. LaRocco
Joseph B. LaRocco answered on Nov 18, 2021

Non-Disparagement Agreements are being quite common. They are enforceable, however, if no liquidated damages are stated in the agreement it might be quite difficult for the company to prove actual damages if you breach the agreement and say something derrogatory about the company, its officers,... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Employment Law for Iowa on
Q: Can an employer force you to drive a company vehicle when you weren't hired to drive anywhere to begin with

I have been there 11 years and now they are saying I need to run errands in a company car. I have a good driving record however I am always frightened to drive in the winter so I am curious if they can force me to do so when it wasn't part of my job before.

Rhiannon Herbert
Rhiannon Herbert answered on Nov 16, 2021

Yes, there are no laws that prohibit your employer from changing your job duties at any time, either with or without notice. However, if driving in the winter makes you uncomfortable, it may be worth letting your employer know this and requesting to not drive on inclement weather days.

2 Answers | Asked in Copyright and Trademark for Iowa on
Q: I am interested in using words, short phrases or sentences from lyrics or movie quotes to make signs, tshirts, etc

Is this legal for retail?

Marcos Garciaacosta
Marcos Garciaacosta answered on Nov 13, 2021


You need to consult with an attorney to understand your risks.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce for Iowa on
Q: Getting a divorce, what is the wife entitled to?

We own a house. Haven't had it for a year yet. I'm the only one on the mortgage but both our names are on the deed.

Michael Riley
Michael Riley answered on Nov 12, 2021

In Iowa, the Courts will divide property and debts obtained during the marriage. Therefore, if the house was obtained during the marriage, it could be considered marital property.

3 Answers | Asked in Divorce, Family Law, Personal Injury and Sexual Harassment for Iowa on
Q: Adultery in the state of Iowa

What recourse does a husband have in Iowa if his wife is openly committing adultery and refuses to stop?? The only respite she is offering is a divorce for which the husband has to pay along with losing half of the assets. She is openly mocking him by saying that in Iowa, he is screwed by the... Read more »

Austin J Luse
Austin J Luse answered on Oct 11, 2021

Iowa is a "no-fault" state, meaning that adultery, etc., cannot be used against an opposing party in divorce proceedings. Additionally, Iowa is a "marital property" state, meaning that any assets, aside from specific exemptions (including inheritances kept in separate accounts),... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Personal Injury, Appeals / Appellate Law, Car Accidents and Legal Malpractice for Iowa on
Q: Definition of/penalties for lawyer perjury when sworn in as a witness in IA.
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Oct 9, 2021

An Iowa attorney could answer best, but your question remains open for two weeks. If this involves motor vehicle accident litigation, your selection of categories makes sense. However, this could also be something that an attorney who deals with criminal law/professional conduct matters could have... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Car Accidents, Personal Injury, Civil Rights and Small Claims for Iowa on
Q: Can my dads friend come after me for $1100 to fix his truck after accident with a mini bike without an insurance claim?

I was in an accident where I lost control of my friends minibike and hit his dads, friends truck. I suffered a broken wrist due to it and two days after the incident, the guys wife reached out saying the estimated cost to fix the truck was $1100 and that I would rightfully have to pay it because... Read more »

Tim Bottaro
Tim Bottaro answered on Oct 6, 2021

If they turned the claim into their insurance company and it was paid, the insurance company would have a right to go after you for reimbursement.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Traffic Tickets for Iowa on
Q: I am looking for some guidance relating to a "failure to obey traffic control device" ticket

I am looking for some guidance relating to a "failure to obey traffic control device" ticket I received tonight, I was leaving from the store and came to the stoplight and came to a complete stop and looked to my left and saw a vehicle that was slowing down. So I thought that the light... Read more »

Maurice Mandel II
Maurice Mandel II answered on Sep 22, 2021

You may have been cited for the wrong offense. What you did was a failure to yield, if your state allows right turns on red lights except were posted. Usually traffic is construed very strictly. You might consider a not guilty plea and take your chance at trial or going to Traffic School. You... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Employment Discrimination, Employment Law and Landlord - Tenant for Iowa on
Q: If you was fired from a job can your employer or x employer call your landlord just to tell them you was fired?

They called and told landlord they fired you right after you was fired ..and they did not have any arrangement with one another about letting one another know anything about employment or living arrangement..

Maurice Mandel II
Maurice Mandel II answered on Sep 22, 2021

This kind of problem is under laws that are specific to each state, and different. This could be an invasion of your privacy or public disclosure of confidential facts. You should consult with a local employment law attorney about this.

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law for Iowa on
Q: Regarding h1 b 60 day frace period

My current H1B validity period: 03/2021-03/2024, but my last day for the job is 08/15/2021

I got a new job. The new employer wants to file an H1B transfer petition before 10/15/2021 (within the 60 day grace period) but the start date mentioned in the offer letter is 11/01/2021.

If... Read more »

Alexander Ivakhnenko
Alexander Ivakhnenko answered on Sep 16, 2021

Each H1b case must have an assigned counsel at no charge retained by the YS sponsoring company, if it is a genuinely credible petition.?

3 Answers | Asked in Intellectual Property and Patents (Intellectual Property) for Iowa on
Q: I need to know if this is breaching a Patent.

For school, I am planning a a Solar Array for the roof a vehicle such as a Pickup Truck or Van. My idea is similar to an existing patent, Patent Publication Number 20180175785, however my idea is smaller in size, by more than half, and designed for a different purpose, renewable energy generation... Read more »

Liliana Di Nola-Baron
Liliana Di Nola-Baron answered on Sep 2, 2021

The issue is how different is your invention from other products claimed in patents and patent applications, or disclosed in the literature. You should consult a patent attorney to assist you with a patentability evaluation of your product.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Personal Injury for Iowa on
Q: If someone says they want to see you hang your self is that illegal
Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing answered on Aug 3, 2021

Generally no--it's more like a curse "I wish you to get Covid"

In some circumstances it could be actionable but that would take money because no lawyer would take the case. Spend the money on getting counseling on any fallout, and how to avoid or deal with creeps like the person who said that.

1 Answer | Asked in Employment Law, Employment Discrimination and Sexual Harassment for Iowa on
Q: can someone get fired for an affair?

with a coworker both subjects are married union job that is salary

Carrie Dyer
Carrie Dyer answered on Jul 28, 2021

Generally, yes - there is nothing unlawful about firing an employee for having an affair with a coworker.

2 Answers | Asked in Trademark for Iowa on
Q: Is Red Dead Rocket trademarked

I started a YouTube channel and chose this as a name. Is it okay to use?

Linda Liang
Linda Liang answered on Jul 24, 2021

You need to hire an attorney to conduct a thorough research to be sure.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Car Accidents for Iowa on
Q: Sadly Tim I've already been through all that. They said anybody in the household 14 and older to be listed on the policy

I didn't know that because of that they actually dropped me. Now I have no insurance and is looking for new insurance but in the meantime I need to figure out if I have to pay him the deductible and pay them the $6,000 that they gave him. He text me again today asking for the deductible but... Read more »

Tim Bottaro
Tim Bottaro answered on May 25, 2021

I assume by your answer you are satisfied you have no insurance coverage for what happened. If this is the case then you are responsible for any negligence on your part and the damages you caused. You need to be given proof of the amount of the damages and the amount of his deductible. You use the... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Car Accidents for Iowa on
Q: I'm in Council Bluffs,IA
Tim Bottaro
Tim Bottaro answered on May 24, 2021

Just because your son is not on your policy doesn't necessarily mean he is not covered. Instead of relying only upon what the other driver is telling you, file a claim with your carrier. If they deny it they must tell you why and show you the language of the policy which they say supports... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Car Accidents for Iowa on
Q: My daughter let my son who is not covered under my insurance drive her car and he hit someone. No personal injury.

Do I have to pay the guy the 1000 deductible back and pay his insurance the $6,000 that they gave him? The guy is texting me asking me for the deductible back but he also stated that his insurance company will probably come after me for the other money they gave him. What am I supposed to be doing?

Tim Bottaro
Tim Bottaro answered on May 24, 2021

What state are you in/is the policy written in?

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.