Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Libel & Slander Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation, Internet Law, Libel & Slander and Small Claims for California on
Q: How can you add up pain and suffering and what proof do you need to show the court?

I am being sued for $10,000. For lost wages plus pain and suffering. The plaintiff has no proof of numbers. How does one show proof?

Randy Bryan Ligh
Randy Bryan Ligh answered on Jun 16, 2021

Pain and suffering, like all elements of a claim, is shown via evidence, which comes in the form of testimony and documentation. Further, there is no calculable way to quantify pain and suffering--each case is different.

1 Answer | Asked in Libel & Slander, Criminal Law and Federal Crimes for Texas on
Q: My friends were on a motorcycle and the driver had a half oz of meth in his backpack. Passenger didn’t know about

Passenger has never had a ticket on her record and worked for the APS of Texas recently

Kiele Linroth Pace
Kiele Linroth Pace answered on Jun 10, 2021

OK, but what is the question? Reading between the lines it seems like the passenger was charged with Possession of a Controlled substance and you want to know if not knowing is a defense? It can be, but it would be unwise for your friend to talk to an investigator without an attorney and an... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Animal / Dog Law and Libel & Slander for Colorado on
Q: Can I sue for defamation for a neighbor spreading lies about our dog?

Our neighbor has been spreading lies about our dogs for years. Saying they were viscous, they have attacked them, etc. Our dog got into some trouble and their lies caused the situation to escalate quickly and resulted in our dog being taken away for 6 weeks, and going through a whole ordeal. In... Read more »

Kristina M. Bergsten
Kristina M. Bergsten answered on Jun 8, 2021

Unfortunately, no because Colorado views dogs as property so that would be like suing for defamation for someone spreading lies about your couch. But you will need representation if you have been cited for a criminal violation by animal control. If you can prove your neighbors engaged in abuse of... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce, Family Law, Domestic Violence and Libel & Slander for California on
Q: What forms do I file if R didnt make paymnts to P as order on stipulation?

4/14/18 DVRO/Stipulation -ordered R' to make paymnts directly to P' every 15th of month for support. 2 month payments were received with memo "Support". 8/14/18 We reconciled, during this time R' would transfer funds to my account for household, food, etc. none of these... Read more »

Dale S. Gribow
Dale S. Gribow answered on Jun 2, 2021





1 Answer | Asked in Domestic Violence, Federal Crimes, Libel & Slander and Child Custody for Oregon on
Q: My wife assaulted me, she filed a false restraining order and kidnapped our kids and is using emotional blackmail.

She emotionally blackmailed me into not submitting any evidence at the trial, so she was found innocent. Now she is using the restraining order and the threat of arrest as blackmail to take full custody of our children despite me offering several reasonable alternatives involving joint custody. Can... Read more »

Gregory L Abbott
Gregory L Abbott answered on May 31, 2021

It is not clear exactly where things currently stand. It sounds as if she assaulted you, was charged, went to a trial in which you failed to testify to the facts and she was found not guilty. She also obtained a restraining order against you prohibiting you from having contact with her or your... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Car Accidents, Libel & Slander and Personal Injury for Georgia on
Q: If a bystander took pictures of an accident scene with fatalities shouldn't the accident scene have been secured better?

My brother died in a horrible car accident where another person lost their life as well. Someone managed to take pictures of the scene & sent them to an ex of his who in turn sent them out again through fbook & sent them to me. These pictures graphically show my brother in the vehicle still... Read more »

Latrice Latin
Latrice Latin answered on May 19, 2021

I am so sorry for your loss. Unfortunately, there is no cause of action against anyone for securing the scene. It is up to the first responders and police to investigate and preserve all evidence that they can. It gets into a really slippery slope if the bystander may have gotten there before the... Read more »

Q: VanuatuThe appeal court said we have a complete defence, but they still allowed the plaintiff's appeal. what's mean?

We set up a banner at the city centre, but the opposite party sued us for defamation, we won this case, they appealed. Now the appeal court sent this case back to Supreme Court, grounds that the first instance judge dismissed their Summary Judgment. What can we do for now? What should us aware of?... Read more »

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on May 17, 2021

If this took place in the Republic of Vanuatu, you would need to seek guidance from attorney who practices there. This forum is based on U.S. law. This is not to deflect your question, but procedural rules are generally specific to a jurisdiction/region. If this did not take place on the island of... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Employment Law and Libel & Slander for California on
Q: Employer falsely accused me of stealing and threatened me with jail time. I quit the next day. Can I seek damages?

I went to work on my day off to eat at the company restaurant. After seated, security guard said I was on camera stealing purses. They said don’t leave and that they are calling the authorities. They immediately came back and said they made a mistake and said I was free to go. I quit because I... Read more »

Neil Pedersen
Neil Pedersen answered on May 16, 2021

Probably not. It was not unlawful to detain you for a short while as they looked at the video and determine you were not the suspect. Your quitting before you ever faced what you feared, i.e., a hostile work environment, probably left you without any legal claim. Even if there was some hostility... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Libel & Slander for Indiana on
Q: An individual starts rumors around town that you have individual living your house with psychosexual disorder what do?

These are indeed rumors and there are no basis or factual data supporting claim and it is ruining the reputation of the whole family.

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on May 14, 2021

An Indiana attorney could advise best, but your post remains open for two weeks. An attorney who handles defamation cases could review your matter to determine whether your situation satisfies the legal elements of libel or slander in terms of publication, falsity, and damages. But you should keep... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Libel & Slander for Missouri on
Q: Is it liable for someone to knowingly falsely say that someone else is a child molester to hurt their reputation
Ronald J. Eisenberg
Ronald J. Eisenberg answered on May 13, 2021

In Missouri, defamation claims are tough. It’s not enough to prove a false statement was made, a plaintiff must also prove actual damages.

1 Answer | Asked in Employment Discrimination, Employment Law and Libel & Slander for Massachusetts on
Q: Can I take my employer to court for releasing personal information to outside customers and vendors without my consent?

I recently had a baby prematurely. I shared this information internally with my employer. Within a few hours of sharing, I received an email from a co-worker to a group of customers, (some of which I do not know) detailing not only the birth of my son but also his full name and that he was born... Read more »

Carrie Dyer
Carrie Dyer answered on May 12, 2021

More information is needed to analyze your situation. Is your employer requiring you to take a leave you otherwise are not intending to take? Additionally, there is no private cause of action under HIPPA. Only the Department of Health and Human Services and state attorneys general have the power... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Libel & Slander, Divorce, Employment Law and Family Law for South Carolina on
Q: Can my husband get me for abandonment if I move out of the home because he has a girlfriend.

has had a girlfriend for over a year now. He takes our daughter around her. they talk bad about me in front of her. The girlfriend threatens to hurt me.. She sends me text and calls me. She has been in my personal information through the unemployment office where she currently works. She tells... Read more »

Megan Hunt Dell
Megan Hunt Dell answered on May 7, 2021

In South Carolina, there is no divorce ground of abandonment; however, there is a ground called "desertion" that is not commonly used anymore. The most common ground for divorce is living separate and apart for more than one year, and the spouses must be separated before the one year can begin.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Domestic Violence and Libel & Slander for Oklahoma on
Q: If someone was arrested for Domestic Violence, Kidnapping, Assault by Strangulation and making death threats and were

charged with those offenses, but the accuser willingly and voluntarily dropped all accusations and refused to press charges against said abuser. Can those same accusations be brought back up 3 years later as evidence used in obtaining an Emergency Order of Protection being granted? Or are those... Read more »

Jessica Brown
Jessica Brown answered on May 3, 2021

From what you've described, they can still be brought up. They're certainly not "void."

Victims don't have the choice about "pressing charges." Rather, that's the prosecutor's call. The victim can recant, fail to cooperate, etc. But it's the prosecution's choice whether to press charges or not.

1 Answer | Asked in Employment Law and Libel & Slander for Pennsylvania on
Q: My boss is harassing me. I am a union member, she isn’t, my workplace hasn’t held her accountable. What can I do?

My boss has been harassing me about personal things that have nothing to do with work. She confronts and attacks me on the job about personal things, she also texts me off the clock about those things. I’m union and she isn’t, and I’ve complained before but she never seems to be held... Read more »

Carrie Dyer
Carrie Dyer answered on Apr 28, 2021

Unless she is harassing you because of your status in a protected class (i.e., race, ethnicity, disability, etc.) or the harassment is sexual in nature, there is likely no legal recourse. If that is the case, it sounds like your best option may be to move departments.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Libel & Slander for Kentucky on
Q: My EX keeps calling my current boyfriend telling all kinds of horrid lies. He has told him to stop contacting him.

My current boyfriend and myself have blocked him, but he(the EX) downloads those text and call apps and continues to call. He(the EX) has attempted to put a GPS tracker on my phone. He(the EX) has had other females send him(the EX) messages on social media posing as me. He refuses to give my mother... Read more »

Timothy Denison
Timothy Denison answered on Apr 26, 2021

Take a criminal complaint for harassing communications and harassment?

2 Answers | Asked in Bankruptcy, Business Law, Civil Litigation and Libel & Slander for Arizona on
Q: Who do you report bankruptcy fraud/disability fraud to when your ex business assoc. hides assets, guns, cars etc

We lived operated our business and worked at this non profit outreach and the owner trespassed from property to take our belongings and dumped our destroyed items in the neighbors parking lot ending in filing criminal damage to property of him. He also took door of shower room we had to use so him... Read more »

Timothy Denison
Timothy Denison answered on Apr 20, 2021

Report to the FBI.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights, Communications Law, Domestic Violence and Libel & Slander for California on
Q: I'm being neural remote monitored I need a lawyer to sue them
Dale S. Gribow
Dale S. Gribow answered on Apr 18, 2021

more info needed to understand.

however, i do not do that sore of litigation.

that would be civil litigation, not criminal.

chances are you would only find a lawyer to do so on an hourly, not on a contingency

1 Answer | Asked in Gov & Administrative Law, Libel & Slander and Personal Injury for Washington DC on
Q: What state jurisdiction does revenge porn fall in if posted about American Citizen but in Mexico.

I had a fling for a couple of months in Mexico. I am an American living in DC and he is a Canadian. We fooled around and filmed it, I don't have a copy of the video. I noticed he posted it on his Only Fans without my explicit consent. He did crop my face out of the video and blur out both my... Read more »

Mark Oakley
Mark Oakley answered on Apr 17, 2021

The video appears to have been consensually made, so in most jurisdiction the mere creation of the video would not be a crime. You would need to ask a lawyer in Mexico whether that country prohibits the making of sexually explicit videos when both parties consent. Otherwise, it would not be... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Internet Law, Libel & Slander and White Collar Crime for Washington DC on
Q: if someone were to make deepfake of both video and audio version of me, would that count as impersonation?

if somebody, were to make deepfake videos, and deepfake audio of me, with the intent of malicious intent of harming my reputation, would that count as impersonation?

Mark Oakley
Mark Oakley answered on Apr 17, 2021

It might be many things, depending on the facts. First, DC and Virginia are "one-party" audio recording jurisdictions, where only one person (the recorder) needs to consent to it, unlike in Maryland where it is illegal to make an audio recording of someone else without their actual... Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.