Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Maine Personal Injury Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Personal Injury for Maine on
Q: I was injured in a fall in 2018! I tripped going into the hotel! My sneaker caught the metal lip on the entrance!

I broke my shoulder and smashed my rotator cuff! Had a reverse shoulder replacement! I still do not have very good control of my arm! Can I file a claim against the hotel?

Fred Bopp III
Fred Bopp III answered on Jul 9, 2021

You should contact an experienced personal injury lawyer to discuss your situation. Many offer free initial consultations.

1 Answer | Asked in Car Accidents, Personal Injury and Criminal Law for Maine on
Q: left the scene of a pd accident no damage to property and not much to my vehicle either i was charged with class c

what can i expect to get when i go to court for this there also was no alcohol or drugs involved

Hunter J Tzovarras
Hunter J Tzovarras answered on Jul 3, 2021

The first court date is an initial appearance. The Judge will make sure you're aware of the charge and maximum penalties, which for a Class C felony charge is up to 5 years in prison and $5000 fine, the Judge will find out whether you're going to hire a lawyer, or ask to have a lawyer... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Personal Injury and Products Liability for Maine on
Q: Who should I contact about finding a safety pin inside a piece of dove chocolate and is this a case for a lawyer ?

I contacted the company and was pretty much blown off my kid or any child could have swelled it and caused damage fortunately it was myself getting it in my mouth company Mars said we have metal detectors in plants so this doesn’t happen but for sure was in the piece my girlfriend was there when... Read more »

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Apr 2, 2021

A Maine attorney could advise best, but your question remains open for a week. You could contact an attorney who handles injury cases. It sounds like no one was injured, and I am happy for you there. But if there was grounds for a case, it would be based on actual damages, not damages that might... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Personal Injury and Workers' Compensation for Maine on
Q: can i sue an employer outside of workers comp for permanent tbi injuries and shoulder surgery with permanent injuries

I have gone through workers comp court and somehow the judge did not hold the employer responsible for this injury. The employer admitted responsibility for shoulder injury but denied responsibility for head injury which was all part of the same fall on work property that was covered in ice and... Read more »

Anthony K. Ferguson
Anthony K. Ferguson answered on Jun 10, 2020

You are unable to sue your employer for your head injury because under Maine law an employer is immune from liability outside of any worker's compensation benefits you may be entitled.

Assuming that your employer is not the owner of the property where the injury occurred, you may have...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Personal Injury and Car Accidents for Maine on
Q: when you sign settlement paper how many days must you legally wait before you get the check??
Robert D. Kreisman
Robert D. Kreisman answered on Jun 22, 2018

It depends on the law in your jurisdiction. For example, Illinois has law directly on point of your question. You should ask this question to the lawyer handling your case or an attorney in your area.

1 Answer | Asked in Personal Injury for Maine on
Q: I was rear ended at a stop light and was injured by a driver that never stopped. physical therapy starts next week

their insurance company sent me a check to get truck repaired, by cashing the check does this effect my injury settlement case?

David Alan Wolf
David Alan Wolf answered on Apr 1, 2018

Typically, a check issued for property damage does not serve as a release for the personal injury claim. It is best to get the advice and review by a local personal injury injury before taking further action. Insurance companies are well represented by attorneys. You should be represented as well.

2 Answers | Asked in Personal Injury, Products Liability and Health Care Law for Maine on
Q: Can I sue a company if their product gave me chemical burns?
Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing answered on May 29, 2017

Contact a member of the Maine Trial Lawyers Assn. They give free contacts.Assuming you were using the product in the way it was supposed to be used, following instructions (including safety gear), you may have a case.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Personal Injury and Products Liability for Maine on
Q: I am sending in a product liability claim with walmart and they told me they needed the product and receipt. True?

They also processed my item that caused my person injury as a return against my wishes. Is this going to effect my case? I am worried now because they seemed like they were lying to me. First they had me go in to fill out the form. I get there and they say I need to product and receipt so I fill... Read more »

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing answered on Apr 21, 2017

The product needed to be kept--the way to handle it is let them examine it but you keep it. A little late now. Your getting your cash back if you didn't sign a "release of all calims" woudl be ok. If you didn't talk to an attorney why not contact a member of the Maine Assn for... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Personal Injury for Maine on
Q: I own a home that my son lives in. I insure the home. Am I liable for injury that occurs to a guest at the house?

I live next door to my son. I own and insure his house. His daughter's friend fell off a trampoline and broke her arm very badly. Am I liable for this?

Adam Studnicki
Adam Studnicki answered on Nov 16, 2015

Anyone can sue for anything but that doesn't necessarily means it's a good lawsuit. Best to have a good homeowner's insurance policy.

Please Take Notice: I am not your lawyer unless we enter into an engagement agreement in writing. This is only general information. It is...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Personal Injury for Maine on
Q: is there a statue of limitation that a lawsuit against a drug company can be done?

I'm a des daughter that has had a number of health issues

Adam Studnicki
Adam Studnicki answered on Aug 4, 2015

All civil claims have deadlines (statutes of limitation). Talk to an injury lawyer ASAP about your situation.

Please Take Notice: I am not your lawyer unless we enter into an engagement agreement in writing. This is general information that is given for legal education only. It is not...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Personal Injury for Maine on
Q: Why would someone choose not to have a jury in a civil case?
Terrence Rubino
Terrence Rubino answered on Jul 6, 2011

our team of lawyers do alot of jury trials in northwest indiana and some in illinois involving personal injury and wrongful death cases. juries can be a very good thing or a very bad thing for the person suing. typically if the injury claimed is relatively minor and the defendant's act causing... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Personal Injury for Maine on
Q: Age 17 left the scene of a personal injury accident what can i expect in court?
Robert D. Kreisman
Robert D. Kreisman answered on Dec 26, 2010

It depends on who was responsible for the "personal injury", what the facts are, what the injuries are, who witnessed this incident, whether any of the parties are insured. That a party was 17 and a minor and left the scene is another fact to be considered. Was the minor the cause of... Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.