Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Maryland Juvenile Law Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Juvenile Law and Child Custody for Maryland on
Q: how do you obtain a order from juvenile court terminating jurisdiction
Mark Oakley
Mark Oakley answered on Sep 16, 2021

Without more facts, this question is so broad as to not be answerable without writing a book to cover all possible scenarios that could have prompted the question. File a motion to terminate the court's exercise of jurisdiction. What possible legal basis you have that would entitle you to... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Juvenile Law and Criminal Law for Maryland on
Q: So if a 19 year old man purchased a ruffle from the store can a juvenile charge be use against you
Mark Oakley
Mark Oakley answered on Jan 3, 2021

No. It will have to be recharged as an adult case.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Personal Injury, Juvenile Law and Libel & Slander for Maryland on
Q: My 14 year old son was accused of sexual assault in the middle of class. After the investigation and no evidence the

court dropped the case. That is including no witnesses. Her parents petition and had it reopened. There is no new evidence and we moved from Maryland to Texas. At what point does this become harassment or slander? At the beginning of this we were upfront with the planned move. So it wasn't... Read more »

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Aug 29, 2020

A Maryland attorney should advise you on this, but your question remains open for two weeks and time is likely of the essence in any reply or appearance you might need to arrange for. While this is not something you don't already know, it would be advisable for you to consult with an attorney... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law, Child Custody and Juvenile Law for Maryland on
Q: So I'm 17 and have been living with my grandparents for the past 5 years and they treat me very badly.

They've taken away all my rights and are an abusive like stage when they drink (every night). I'm not sure if I can make it to 18 with them like this and I honestly dont know what to do. I dont want to get involved with CPS again and I cant live with my mom as of now. My boyfriends... Read more »

Marie-Yves Nadine Jean-Baptiste
Marie-Yves Nadine Jean-Baptiste answered on Jul 30, 2020

Assuming that your grandparents have custody of you through a legal proceeding, to become emancipated (which will allow you to make your own decisions) you will have to file a petition for emancipation in the same custody case. There is no guarantee that it will work but I suggest that you contact... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law and Juvenile Law for Maryland on
Q: my children were placed in shelter care, i just received the order but it is not signed by a judge. Does it need to be?

if its not signed by a judge is it legal for them to keep our children?

Diana Valle
Diana Valle answered on May 25, 2020

Every order should be signed by a judge. You probably received the propose or draft order awaiting a judge's signature. You should receive a signed copy once it is signed.

2 Answers | Asked in Immigration Law, International Law and Juvenile Law for Maryland on
Q: I’m currently a student in Maryland and my dad left me around 2 years ago and I haven’t know nothing about my case since
Drew Elesh
Drew Elesh answered on May 16, 2020

If you call our office Monday we can get more information and help you. Call 773 679 8613

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Juvenile Law for Maryland on
Q: Does maryland have romeo and juliet law (close in age exemption)
Mark Oakley
Mark Oakley answered on Apr 18, 2020

16 is the age of consent in Maryland. When the youngest partner is under 16 years of age, and the older partner is not 4 or more years older than the younger partner, then consensual sexual intercourse is legal in Maryland, but illegal if the older partner is 4 years or more older. However, if... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Libel & Slander and Juvenile Law for Maryland on
Q: A friend is a senior he did a senior prank and drew on car windows marking the year he graduates, cops were called later
William Jaksa
William Jaksa answered on Sep 9, 2019

A few issues here, there is a common-law defence of Prank available, a criminal lawyer should be able to find the relevant case law to assist. Also, your friend may want to consider some restitution to compensate the vehicle owners for any damage or costs. See the article below for more on... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Legal Malpractice, Juvenile Law and Sexual Harassment for Maryland on
Q: If I’m born in January 26, 2000 date a girl born in December 13, 2003 without legal issues? It’s 3yrs,10months,18days
Bruce Alexander Minnick
Bruce Alexander Minnick answered on May 29, 2019

In most states adult men over the age of 18 (like you are) can be charged with various criminal violations if caught having sexual relations with an under-aged girl (like your girlfriend is). The difference in their ages is not relevant.

View More Answers

2 Answers | Asked in Personal Injury and Juvenile Law for Maryland on
Q: My broker is requiring court documents showing I am the Guardian of my daughter's settlement money under title 13

I opened a Guardianship brokerage account in 2014 to hold around $6,000 from a settlement for my daughter. I am now trying to take that money out of the market and put it into a Guardianship bank account. But my broker is not allowing me to take the money out - they are requiring that I provide a... Read more »

Eric Todd Kirk
Eric Todd Kirk answered on Feb 27, 2019

You need to get the court's permission to withdraw money from a Title 13 trust account. You need to apply to the circuit court of the county where you, and show cause and standing, for the withdrawal.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Juvenile Law for Maryland on
Q: So my daughter's Stepmom wants to get charges on her. My daughter called her sister and left a message saying she was

going to beat her up. This happened on Sept 18th 2018. Can she even do this because they are sister's my daughter is 12 and her daughter is 9. Its now October 1st. I have no idea why she is doing this now. I blocked all contact between us and them.

Gary Kollin
Gary Kollin answered on Oct 1, 2018

Sounds like your daughter did not call you. That is strange.

You know all your information through hearsay.

Why are you waiting around if youo are ACTUALLY concerned that your daughter is facing or suffering from physical harm.

It is now 14 days later.

You have the...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Juvenile Law for Maryland on
Q: I’m a minor from MD I had weed over 10g I think, I got juvenile misdemeanor citation, if it’s over 10G I will be charge

Will I need a lawyer?

Mark Oakley
Mark Oakley answered on Sep 20, 2018

Check to see whether the citation says if it's "civil" or not. If civil, it will be under 10 grams. If not, then you will receive notification from the Dept. of Juvenile Services to appear for an intake meeting with your parents, and at that time you would likely be offered the... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Juvenile Law for Maryland on
Q: Is it possible to run away at 17 in Maryland, if you've already graduated high school?

I'm graduating very soon, but because I have a late birthday, I won't turn 18 for several more months. In the summer after high school, my parents want me to see a conversion therapist, which I'm not to keen on. If I leave home and stay with a friend, will I (or my... Read more »

Mark Oakley
Mark Oakley answered on May 1, 2018

First, you and your parents should be aware that the Maryland State legislature just passed a law banning conversion therapy on anyone under the age of 18. The governor has said he will sign it. This pseudoscience has been widely discredited as junk science.

You can call Child Protective...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Domestic Violence, Family Law and Juvenile Law for Maryland on
Q: My friend is 15 years old. She is pregnant. Her dad abuses her.she wants to runaway.can she live with the father ?

Can she live with the father of her baby and his parents ?

Cedulie Renee Laumann
Cedulie Renee Laumann answered on Nov 21, 2017

Thank you for trying to find answers for someone in crisis.

Generally, child protective services has authority to get involved with any situation involving ongoing abuse of a minor. Options may include temporary custody to another family, some type of foster care arrangement or perhaps an...
Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Family Law and Juvenile Law for Maryland on
Q: Can parents in marylandrefuse to feed cloth or adbandon their child if they are 19 but still in high school with learnin

Child had learning issues that's why they are still in high school

June Marie Marshall
June Marie Marshall answered on May 6, 2017

Article ­ General Provisions


(a) (1) The age of majority is 18 years.

(2) Except as provided in subsection (b) of this section or as otherwise

specifically provided by statute, an individual at least 18 years old is an adult for all

purposes and...
Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Federal Crimes and Juvenile Law for Maryland on
Q: How many years will my friend most likely serve in prison?

My friend is a minor, 16 years old, and has been charged with armed robbery, robbery, criminal assault of the first and second degree, criminal conspiracy and theft under $1,000. We live in Maryland and his friends and myself are all very worried about his sentence. How long do you think it will... Read more »

Eric Todd Kirk
Eric Todd Kirk answered on Apr 21, 2017

These are obviously serious charges. If your friend has been charged as an adult, he faces in excess of 25 years in prison. Because of the number of charges, possible sentences may be impossible to predict at this point. He, or his family should immediately seek a consultation with an experienced... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Education Law, Criminal Law, Civil Rights and Juvenile Law for Maryland on
Q: Can my son go to jail for taking a knife to school in Prince Georges County Maryland?

He was suspended in November 2016 for 10 days from school. I just found out today he submitted a written statement to the school police, no parent or representative on his behalf was present. He's 13yo and good to public school. I received a call 3/22/17 from Mr. Riggs at the Juvenile Justice... Read more »

Thomas J. Maronick Jr
Thomas J. Maronick Jr answered on Mar 23, 2017

It's a whole other ballgame as to what kids can bring to school. If the knife is illegal in general, then potentially YES if he is charged as an adult. It sounds like they are going to charge him as a juvenile which is not a jail situation but could be reform school or similar. In our... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Juvenile Law for Maryland on
Q: Can me and my girlfriend get married, and can I get emancipated?

Hello, I'm 17 years old and I have a pregnant 18 year old girlfriend. Just the other day I proposed to her but I know my parents will not consent it (since I am underage). Since she is pregnant will Maryland law allow me to marry her regardless? Also, if i can marry her now, would I be... Read more »

Robert Jason De Groot
Robert Jason De Groot answered on Aug 12, 2015

You need parental consent to get married, until you are 18.

1 Answer | Asked in Juvenile Law for Maryland on
Q: I had a trust fund that was spent by my guardian before I was 18. Why did this happen?

No court gave her permission. Is the bank at faullt for releasing the funds.

Thomas C. Valkenet
Thomas C. Valkenet answered on Sep 5, 2014

You must examine the trust documents, and how the money was spent. If the trust says funds can be spent on your education, for instance, and it was used to pay tuition, buy clothes and books, etc., then the money was properly spent. But in the end, you may have to sue. Our office just concluded a... Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.