Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Massachusetts Civil Rights Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights, Real Estate Law and Small Claims for Massachusetts on
Q: Can i ask for a continuance on a case eviction if the town getting ready to deem the house condemned due to the sepetic

They have 5 health violations and have not fixed them. The town is taking to court on those as well. Plus defamation of character to us. They lied to the town saying we are threating them and they need escorts to property. There is a ton of thing wrong here but i dont want to spend money just to be... Read more »

Ali Shahrestani, Esq.
Ali Shahrestani, Esq. answered on Mar 12, 2017

Why would you want to live in a condemned house? More details are necessary to provide a professional analysis of your issue. The best first step is an Initial Consultation with an Attorney. You can read more about me, my credentials, awards, honors, testimonials, and media appearances/... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights, Constitutional Law and Federal Crimes for Massachusetts on
Q: To get a preliminary injunction (relief) in Federal District Court pro se what are 5 things I absolutely must get right?

The case involves civil rights, housing discrimination, a sick (heart attack) disabled veteran and his spouse (both indigent) and the Due Process clause of the 14th Amendment.

Ali Shahrestani, Esq.
Ali Shahrestani, Esq. answered on Mar 6, 2017




Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Employment Law and Civil Rights for Massachusetts on
Q: Equal facilities within the workplace.

I have worked in the same job for 20+ years The male employees have, and have had a changing/ workout and showering area. Female employees, having no private area, they complained and were given a public bathroom with a sign put on the door and now a lock on it. Complaints are still being made as... Read more »

Ali Shahrestani, Esq.
Ali Shahrestani, Esq. answered on Dec 11, 2016

This may evidence gender-based discrimination at your place of work. The best first step is an Initial Consultation with an Attorney. You can read more about me on my law practice website. This answer does not constitute legal advice; make any predictions, guarantees, or warranties; or create any... Read more »

Q: I was terminated from my job is this legal and or fair

I was recorded talking about my boss and did not know ! also they said there firing me as an example! i was never ever given a verbal warning or written in the 20 yrs worked there, when all other people get warnings

Nan Evans
Nan Evans answered on Oct 10, 2016

It certainly sounds unfair, which does not necessarily make it illegal. I would need more information about the overall situation before answering about the legality. For example, did people get warnings for talking about the boss or for other types of "misbehavior?" Did you know you were... Read more »

Q: Can a person file a claim only against the types of discrimination enumerated in the act against discrimination?

For example the MGLs against discrimination prohibit discriminating against a person on the basis of color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, age, gender, marital status...etc

but there are cases when the discriminatory behavior is strongly and obviously manifest yet it is... Read more »

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing answered on Aug 7, 2016

Not enough information to tell. Suggest you talk to a member of the Mass Academy of Trial Lawyers who handles the area

involved (employment, education, putlic access, etc). They'll give you a free consultation.

1 Answer | Asked in Medical Malpractice, Civil Rights and Personal Injury for Massachusetts on
Q: How much can you get in a police department lawsuit for not getting your medication while incarcerated?
Marshall Jason Ray
Marshall Jason Ray answered on Apr 29, 2016

You should meet with an attorney in your state to assess the strength and potential value of your specific case. Settlement or judgment values are unpredictable and are based on many factors, including the overall strength of the case and the extent of the injuries that you suffered.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.