Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Massachusetts Municipal Law Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Real Estate Law, Tax Law and Municipal Law for Massachusetts on
Q: Can one town foreclose if the property is in two separate communities and other town's taxes are current?

I bought a home that's 1/2 in 1 town and 1/2 in another - the dwelling is > 80% in Town A. Original mortgagee escrowed & paid property tax only to Town A. The mortgage has been transferred twice & modified once, & still the error wasn't discovered. Now, over 10 years in, I... Read more »

Christopher Tolley
Christopher Tolley
answered on Aug 19, 2022

I think Town B probably has a right to foreclose on its lien but my guess is it has not done so because of the issues you raised. Whether Town B does or does not foreclose, I do not see any alternative but your #1. I do not see the value of ignoring Town B. You already have no equity in the... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Municipal Law for Massachusetts on
Q: is it legal to take a bus stop sign off the ground if there's already a replacement up in place?

they're the exact same sign in the same place, this one was just untouched on the ground for a few months & i like it because its a stop right down my street

Lissa McKinney
Lissa McKinney
answered on Apr 4, 2021

Of course it is! You stole a sign that belonged to the city that was doing replacements. Whether it was trash or not or abandoned might be e defense if you are accused or get caught. If it was lying there for months it may have been begging to be taken but it did not belong to you and you did not... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights, Elder Law, Land Use & Zoning and Municipal Law for Massachusetts on
Q: What can I do? My bad neighbor dumped junks (big old larger snow plow and more) to my property 4 days ago.

It is impossible to sell my house with all the heavy junks they dumped into my property. I need to sell my house.

Lillian J. LaRosa
Lillian J. LaRosa
answered on Feb 17, 2021

Also sounds like a real estate trespass case.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Municipal Law for Massachusetts on
Q: I'd like to know in your professional opionion what I should do with a criminal case in Maryland.

On October 18th, 2013 I failed to appear in court in Worcester county for a small possession charge (less than .2 grams. I was smoking a joint the summer of 2013 when I was stopped by officers who confiscated a small joint roach (the end of the joint) and arrested me on the spot. I failed to appear... Read more »

Ismail Mohammed
Ismail Mohammed PRO label
answered on Aug 15, 2017

Good afternoon,

If the possession is for under an ounce of marijuana, the case should be dismissed. I would suggest you call an attorney in Massachusetts. You will have to appear in court to get the default removed and hopefully have the case dismissed the same day. You will not be able...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Employment Law, Business Law and Municipal Law for Massachusetts on
Q: In a restaurant if patio is closed can they still make us came in and fill other positions as if we were on call? Ty
Jonathan R. Roth
Jonathan R. Roth
answered on Apr 19, 2017

An employer has the right to ask a waiter or anyone else to come in to work. The question is whether you are required to go in if you were not scheduled. The fact is that you are not required to go in, but assuming you are an employee at will there is nothing to stop the employer from terminating... Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.