Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Michigan Adoption Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Adoption and Family Law for Michigan on
Q: My 18 year old daughter wants to be adopted by my fiance. How do we go about that and how long does it take?

My fiance and I have been together and living together for 9 years. My daughter just turned 18 and lost her health insurance and we are trying to be able to get her on his insurance. Her birth father is not on birth certificate, never established paternity and hasn't seen her maybe 4 times her... Read more »

Neil Colman
Neil Colman answered on Jun 12, 2017

Your daughter is 18 and an adult. You don't need the natural father's consent. Check with an experienced attorney in Probate matters regarding the adoption of an adult.

1 Answer | Asked in Adoption, Child Custody and Family Law for Michigan on
Q: My cousin is a felon and avid drug user. How can I get custody of her unborn child?

My aunt is raising and taking care of her other child but is not in the health to raise another. We want to keep the baby in the family but we don't want to wait for my cousin to mess up and land back in jail before I get the baby. Is there a way with her drug use and prior convictions that... Read more »

Neil Colman
Neil Colman answered on May 28, 2017

You can't

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law, Adoption and Child Custody for Michigan on
Q: My babies father got deported, I'm going for adoption. He is against it, what now? What are his rights?
Kyndra L Mulder
Kyndra L Mulder answered on Mar 30, 2017

Depending on the circumstances the father may have the right to prevent the adoption. I suggest you speak with an attorney familiar with adoption law.

1 Answer | Asked in Adoption and Family Law for Michigan on
Q: My daughter was born in Florida and we reside in Michigan. Her father lives in Fla. Where would court be held?

He is not on the birth certificate and has never paid support. She doesn't even know him. Now he demands I give her to him or he will go to court. What are my options? Can she be legally adopted by the male figure in her life?

Jane A Bassett
Jane A Bassett answered on Feb 23, 2017

If your child lives in Michigan with you, then in general Michigan would have jurisdiction to hear a step-parent adoption. The more complex question is whether or not her biological father has rights allow him to prohibit the step-parent adoption. If a court has found him to be the father through... Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.