Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Michigan Arbitration / Mediation Law Questions & Answers
Q: Good Afternoon, Recently got denied a fireworks license renewal. Been there since 2012.

Need to be open asap. Looking for a lawyer familiar with the NFPA 1124 and With the Michigan and the Bureau of Fire Services

Michael Zamzow
Michael Zamzow answered on May 5, 2021

Contact an attorney about this.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Arbitration / Mediation Law for Michigan on
Q: How long can Florida suspend my license in Michigan for 2 non traffic misdemeanor offences? Since 2008
Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers answered on Feb 1, 2021

States that participate in the interstate compact will honor the restrictions / suspended imposed by the initial state.

Have you satisfied all conditions imposed by Florida? Since 2008 is a rather long time. Michigan will keep your license suspended, though, so long as Florida says it...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Arbitration / Mediation Law and Health Care Law for Michigan on
Q: This summer I experienced a very serious health issue that required an ER visit to UMMC - Ann Arbor.

I did not consult my primary doctor as he does not take call and is not available to patients after office hours.. This occurred late at night - 11:30pm or later. During the consult with the ER Doc she was inputting info into the computer with her back turned. In checking her notes later I was... Read more »

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Dec 10, 2020

A Michigan attorney could advise best, but your question remains open for a week. As a starting point, reach out to an attorney. They will probably need to request your medical records, conduct an investigation, and assess options (including the possibility of going to court), if the hospital will... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law, Arbitration / Mediation Law, Child Support and Public Benefits for Michigan on
Q: How do I reopen my case after we both agreed to have it closed because we were living together but aren't anymore?

The father of my 2 children and I had been together for 16 years. Living together for over 10, our eldest is 14. We both agreed to stop child support because it was OUR income/outcome but he recently moved out. He is on the lease/utilities and state grant (DHS), I am unable to provide a forwarding... Read more »

Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers answered on Sep 27, 2020

Contact your county's DHS office or Friend of the Court; they will take it from there.

1 Answer | Asked in Arbitration / Mediation Law and Estate Planning for Michigan on
Q: My ex husband passed away during a search at the Wayne County clerks office they found that we are not divorced.

In the event of my husband's passing she was to sell the house and give all proceeds to his son. I'm not on the title of the house but since I am still married to him I have rights as his wife to put this in probate. She agreed and signed a contract to that effect. Since she has stated... Read more »

Trent Harris
Trent Harris answered on Jun 14, 2019

First, it depends on how the property was titled, i.e. whether you are on the title too and if so, how you hold title with your deceased ex, i.e. as tenants by the entireties, joint tenants, or tenants in common. Second, it depends on how far you got in your divorce. Did you try to divorce, and... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Arbitration / Mediation Law for Michigan on
Q: Can an arbitrator deny a witness
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Apr 18, 2019

Yes. Although arbitrators can follow the same rules of civil procedure and evidence observed in federal or state court, they generally have more leeway, based on the size and scope of the matter. The guidelines they follow generally tend to be less formal than traditional court rules. This is as a... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law, Arbitration / Mediation Law and Probate for Michigan on
Q: Does a trust override a will?Thank you

Mom had Will specifying to be split 4 equal ways. Eldest daughter created a trust and made herself trustee with her sister as co trustee, also, both convinced Mom to have there names on Moms checking account as a matter of "convenience" because 90+ Mom has been in and out of hospital,... Read more »

Trent Harris
Trent Harris answered on Nov 16, 2018

To answer your question, yes, a trust can "override" a will if the property that would've been transferred by the will has been conveyed into the trust before mom died. You should talk to an attorney, since the situation you are describing sounds like a trust/will contest to... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Contracts, Arbitration / Mediation Law and Civil Litigation for Michigan on
Q: Contracted with Lowe's for roof install. Contractor didn't have certification for install or warranty. Damage occured.

Contract stated that a certain company would be the contractor and installer. Contractor on contract then subcontracted work but was unable to install the roof correctly. Contractor should have had master elite certification through GAF per the contract so that I could receive the silver warranty... Read more »

Trent Harris
Trent Harris answered on Sep 12, 2018

It sounds like you have a possible breach of contract case. Your contract with Lowe's probably includes provisions about what to do in the event of a dispute. You will need to follow the contract, including any procedures for alternate dispute resolution. Because Lowe's is a big company... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce and Arbitration / Mediation Law for Michigan on
Q: I am divorcing my husband of 37 years, he's been given the opportunity answer discovery questions

His answers are incomplete and erroneous, can he get contempt of court for answering falsely? If he leaves out assets are they automatically given to me in the divorce?

Neil Colman
Neil Colman answered on Jul 6, 2017

Since you said your husband has given false answers to discovery questions, I'd suggest you contact your attorney and ask her/him the consequences.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.