Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Minnesota Adoption Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law and Adoption for Minnesota on
Q: How soon after getting adopted a foreign child becomes eligible for immigration benefits?

When a U.S. citizen adopts a 15-year-old foreign national, and the adoption takes place in the child's native country, are immigration benefits (allowing the adoptive parent to apply for a family-based U.S. visa for the child) conferred onto the child immediately or after a certain waiting... Read more »

Agnes Jury
Agnes Jury answered on Jul 15, 2021

A child is an adopted son or daughter of his or her U.S. citizen parent if the following conditions are met:

The child is adopted in the United States or abroad;

The child is adopted before he or she reaches 16 years of age (except for certain cases where the child may be adopted...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law and Adoption for Minnesota on
Q: French citizenship through (french) stepfather?

My stepfather (legally) married my mother a few years ago while I was a teenager. He is from France, and he lives in the US as a permanent resident but is still a French citizen.

I read that under French law, plenary adoption can occur until age 20, and citizenship is automatically granted... Read more »

Stephen Arnold Black
Stephen Arnold Black answered on Dec 8, 2020

Call the French embassy in Washington DC or Minneapolis Minnesota if there is one in Minneapolis, and start the process there. The staff employees at the consulate can tell you in about five minutes whether or not you qualify for French citizenship. I wish you the best of luck

1 Answer | Asked in Adoption, Domestic Violence and Family Law for Minnesota on
Q: Can I get emancipated at 16 if I’m emotionally and verbally abused by both sides of parents?

My step dad goes into blind rages and verbally and emotionally abused me and kicks me and my siblings out of the house, when I leave the house because I don’t feel safe which is legal in Minnesota they threaten to take away everything like my phone and car to get me to come back to where I... Read more »

Roger Adams
Roger Adams answered on Apr 30, 2020

First let me say how sorry I am for this difficult situation you are in, and you should seek assistance. As far as emancipation, Minnesota Statutes do not provide either the grounds or a procedure for emancipation. Minnesota case law has established that a minor can be emancipated by a legal... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Adoption and Family Law for Minnesota on
Q: Can I get adopted after being emancipated?

I want to get emancipated because of failure to parent, can I get adopted by someone else, or is there a different process to that?

Roger Adams
Roger Adams answered on Apr 30, 2020

Yes. You are legally considered to be an adult, however Minnesota law is clear:


(a) Any adult person may be adopted, regardless of the adult person's residence. A resident of Minnesota may petition the court of record having jurisdiction of adoption...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts, Criminal Law, Adoption and Animal / Dog Law for Minnesota on
Q: Can we be sued?

Me and my boyfriend got a puppy and we weren’t able to keep him due to us having a baby on the way and it added tons of stress we didn’t need, so we gave him to the human society. The person we bought the dog from found out and is telling people we signed a contract and we didn’t pay for the... Read more »

Bruce Alexander Minnick
Bruce Alexander Minnick answered on Mar 30, 2019

Sure; in America anyone can sue anybody for anything at any time (even without a lawyer in small claims court). Winning the lawsuit is another matter. Save all your receipts, text messages, emails and all other documents.

1 Answer | Asked in Adoption, Child Custody and Wrongful Death for Minnesota on
Q: How can I get legal custody of my 2 great-nephews whose mother and 2yr old sister were just killed in an auto accident?

My niece and her youngest child were killed 4/2/18 And her 2 surviving children were taken from our care by the biological father of the younger child. They were taken to their "grandmothers " whom ny niece has told several authorities and family members she would never want her children... Read more »

D. Patrick McCullough
D. Patrick McCullough answered on Apr 17, 2018

Very, very sad for you. You should consider hiring an experienced family law attorney to help you. These type of proceeding are quite complicated and you will need expert help.

1 Answer | Asked in Adoption and Family Law for Minnesota on
Q: My wife and I had a baby using a sperm donor and got married when same sex marriage was legalized. How can I adopt her?
Lucas Wynne
Lucas Wynne answered on Mar 4, 2017

Unfortunately, your question is too vague for me to interpret it and provide an answer. Whether you are heterosexual or homosexual (which I cannot determine from your question), the same sex marriage legalization would be of no consequence as both types of marriages are treated equally under the... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Adoption for Minnesota on
Q: My wife's friend wants us to adopt her child she lives in Missouri we live in Minnesota. We have a home study. What next

We want to know how to take baby home after birth of child. What paper work needs to be done to make this happen. This is our last chance to become parents.


Lucas Wynne
Lucas Wynne answered on Jul 19, 2016

Has the baby been born as of today? Hire an attorney to help you, many offer reduced fees for adoptions.

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law and Adoption for Minnesota on
Q: If there is an adoption, and children are adopted, do the paternal grandparents have any legal rights?
Robert Douglas Kane Jr
Robert Douglas Kane Jr answered on Dec 20, 2010

No, grandparents have no visitation rights unless established by a court order. These rights are difficult to establish under normal circumstances and most likely impossible after an adoption.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.