Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Mississippi Adoption Questions & Answers
2 Answers | Asked in Adoption, Child Custody and Family Law for Mississippi on
Q: My husband had a child with someone else but the child was taken by CPS because she failed a drug test after childbirth.

CPS ended up giving him custody and she signed her parental rights over to him. A year later he asked me to watch him while he went to rehab. He ended up leaving it early but he let me continue to watch him. Almost a year after he came back the birth mom was incarcerated and he committed suicide... Read more »

Melissa L Gardner-Ardoin
Melissa L Gardner-Ardoin answered on Jul 1, 2021

If her parental rights were terminated, then she cannot come back and reclaim custody. The best thing you can do is to hire an attorney and petition the court for custody yourself. You do not say whether or not there are other family members available for the child. This, of course, may complicate... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Adoption, Child Custody and Family Law for Mississippi on
Q: Can a sperm donor who helped a same-sex couple have a baby pursue rights to the child if he signed papers with a notory?

The biological mother and her partner are both on the birth certificate and in the agreement signed by the sperm donor and the mother states that he would not pursue any rights and that the biological mother has the right to appoint whoever she wanted as the other parent of the child.

Melissa L Gardner-Ardoin
Melissa L Gardner-Ardoin answered on Apr 5, 2021

The first consideration for Chancery Court is the best interest of the child. The contract between the donor and the birth mother is only one piece of evidence to be considered. The donor may be able to contest the arrangement and seek visitation with the child. However, it will not be an easy... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Adoption for Mississippi on
Q: Can I get papers at my court House for my daughter dad to sign his right over so my husband can adopt her?

The father agree to do this he has no problem with my husband adopting her

Arthur Calderon
Arthur Calderon answered on Mar 25, 2019

Doubtfully. You will likely need to hire an attorney to file the necessary TPR paperwork and schedule a hearing so that the Court can ensure that the father is doing everything voluntarily and with full knowledge of what he is doing.

1 Answer | Asked in Adoption, Child Custody and Family Law for Mississippi on
Q: Is there any chance to regain custody after having my kids adopted by stepdad without my knowledge?

My rights were involuntarily terminated due to "abandonment". I wasn't properly notified, although they have my address and the mother lied and said she didn't know where I was. I have not seen my children in 7 years but she did ask over the years if I wanted to visit. I just didn't

Arthur Calderon
Arthur Calderon answered on Jan 26, 2019

It is possible, but it will be an uphill battle, because you will have to move to set aside the judgment. Your best bet is going to be to get with an attorney to further discuss.

1 Answer | Asked in Adoption for Mississippi on
Q: Where to get a new copy of my daughter adopt decree in the state of Mississippi ?

I have a old copy but some pages are missing

Arthur Calderon
Arthur Calderon answered on Aug 31, 2018

You should just be able to contact the court that issued the decree and request it if you are the adopting parent.

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law and Adoption for Mississippi on
Q: My husband's ex has been out of our children's lives for 3 years. She calls every 2 to 3 months and I want to adopt

Our children refer to her as "strange lady". She has been on method this entire time but shows back up every 6 months to a year and swears she has found God and is doing better. She only calls every 2 to 5 months to ask to see them but my husband won't let her because of her drug... Read more »

Arthur Calderon
Arthur Calderon answered on Aug 12, 2018

You need to get with an attorney, as you will have to go through the process of terminating her parental rights before you can go through the adoption process.

1 Answer | Asked in Adoption for Mississippi on
Q: I was wondering if there is anyway to go about reversing an adoption?

My step son was removed from his father 3 years ago when he was a fee days from full custody because his mom called and said she couldn't afford them being at her house. The biological mother had DHS take the kids in the first place. The child and father have a healthy relationship and was... Read more »

Arthur Calderon
Arthur Calderon answered on May 6, 2018

First and foremost, it is possible to reverse an adoption, but only in very particular circumstances. In other words, although it is possible, it is only done in very rare circumstances. Your best bet would be to contact a family law attorney to discuss the facts of the case, as well as the... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Adoption for Mississippi on
Q: We’re adopting my 20 yr old niece & her baby once she delivers (Dad unk). Where can I get the forms, what’s the process?

We want to adopt my 20 yr old niece, she is 31 weeks pregnant and the Dad is unknown. We intend on adopting the baby once he’s born too but cannot locate where to get the paperwork. We are stationed with the Navy in Meridian, MS and would appreciate any assistance you can offer.

Arthur Calderon
Arthur Calderon answered on Feb 21, 2018

Some of the stuff you can do on your own; however, depending on the judge, you may need to get an attorney involved to draft the paperwork and go before the judge. There is really not a lot of heavy lifting with adoptions, particularly in your case because 1) the niece is almost a legal adult, and... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Adoption, Child Support and Family Law for Mississippi on
Q: My ex husband is $20,483 behind in child support and he hasn't seen his children in 5 years I would like to have his

Parental right taken away. how can I have this done? I have no contact nor do i know where he is? Thank you

Arthur Calderon
Arthur Calderon answered on Feb 15, 2018

It's possible to terminate parental rights; however, additional information is necessary, such as the age of the children now, whether any attempt has been made to contact him, etc. You should probably consult with an attorney to get additional information, and so that they can walk you... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Adoption for Mississippi on
Q: i was supposed to be adopting with my wife she says after signing i only signed a consent for her to adopt is that legal

wife and i were to adopt her biological grandaughter. she was getting an attorney to handle it pro bono. the day we met to sign papers i was under the impression i was about to adopt this little girl we had had in our posession since she was 3 weeks old. I was the one that wanted the child and... Read more »

Robert Jason De Groot
Robert Jason De Groot answered on Oct 27, 2015

Probably. Go see an attorney about this.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.