Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Mississippi Municipal Law Questions & Answers
Q: Can I be put on 6 months misdemeanor probation with $600 fine for poss of marijuana when it was less than a gram (.2g)

I was a passenger in a car. We were initially stopped by 2 city officers for the window tint. We're were immediately pulled out of the vehicle and searched. I had to tiny pieces of weed in my pocket. Not even a gram .2 grams to be exact. I plead not guilty. The judge set me a court date. Once... Read more »

Arthur Calderon
Arthur Calderon answered on Aug 10, 2021

They can if you ended up pleaded guilty or were found guilty by the court. The good news, though, is that at the of this the 6 months, your record will be expunged and it will not even show up on your record. The bad news is that you only get one bite at the apple when it comes to getting... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Municipal Law for Mississippi on
Q: What should you do or expect?

If your accused of shoplifting and at the store u receive a citation telling you when to appear in court but the letter in mail is showing like you were arrested and when the arraignment is. Also its the first time you have had any legal trouble.

Arthur Calderon
Arthur Calderon answered on May 16, 2020

That first date should be the deadline to plead guilty or not guilty. Assuming you plead not guilty, they will then set the matter for trial at some point in the near future.

With that in mind, you should always plead not guilty, and then have your lawyer gather information concerning the...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Municipal Law for Mississippi on
Q: Is my first appearance in municipal court an initial appearance?Can prior felony convictions be used against me.

First offense petit larceny is current offense.

Arthur Calderon
Arthur Calderon answered on Jan 23, 2019

Once you are arrested, you will be taken before the judge for an initial appearance, at which point you will be told of the charges against you, and bond will be set. After that (and usually this applies for municipal court), the first court date afterwards is the deadline to enter a plea of guilty... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts, Intellectual Property, Municipal Law and Landlord - Tenant for Mississippi on
Q: What legal action can I take against my apartment complex for neighbors disturbing the peace.

I've contacted the property manager and the regional manager and they've been dragging their feet on the issue. The problem has been going on for the past 6 months..

Griffin Klema
Griffin Klema answered on Sep 17, 2017

Depending on what your state's law provides for noise ordinances, nuisances, or disorderly conduct, you may be able to pursue a civil action against the tenants under a theory of "negligence per se."

As for the property owner or management company, they too may be liable...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Municipal Law for Mississippi on
Q: shooting guns close to someone's house or keeping thirty to forty hunting dogs that bark 24/7

Is that disturbing the peace under law?

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing answered on Feb 16, 2017

Depends where you are. It is illegal in most states to discharge firearms in a city unless at a licensed range. Outside the city it depends on borough or township ordanance. And dogs, like any potential nuissance, aren't if you knew and moved in.

Don't like a stinky neighbor?...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation, Criminal Law, DUI / DWI and Municipal Law for Mississippi on
Q: If you have the 5th ammendment right to remain silent, how can an officer cite or arrest a person for noncompliance

DUI or any other roadblock/ traffic stop

Paul Stanko
Paul Stanko answered on Oct 20, 2016

Noncompliance with what? The right to remain silent refers to testimony.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.