Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Montana Family Law Questions & Answers
2 Answers | Asked in Child Custody, Family Law and Immigration Law for Montana on
Q: if the mother of my child is a non citizen, but does have a social, can she take my child and move away??

she has never applied for or is a citizen and she wants to leave the county and/or country with our child. I tried helping her with citizenship and she refused. Now she wants to take my child away for a 3rd time now and just leave with her. She has no citizenship but has been employed for her adult... Read more »

Agnes Jury
Agnes Jury answered on Apr 27, 2021

Whether your permission is needed for the child to travel internationally depends on whether you are on the child's birth certificate and have custody, as well as what the airline and country of destination regulations are. A family law attorney may be able to get an order forbidding removal... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law, Child Custody, Child Support and Federal Crimes for Montana on
Q: Convicted felon rights

Can a convicted federal felon for a drug offense gain custody over a law abiding citizen

Gary Kollin
Gary Kollin answered on Nov 5, 2019

our question does not make sense

2 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law, Family Law and Arbitration / Mediation Law for Montana on
Q: I am trying to find a lawyer no one is responding What can I do to get someone on board
Gary Kollin
Gary Kollin answered on Aug 15, 2019

How are trying to contact one?

Through s posting here?

You need to contact attorneys directly and individually

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law for Montana on
Q: We got a legal divorce six years ago that was simply a financial move, but we stayed together.

Now we are actually divorcing. The only thing we share is the house. He doesn't want to sell it and I don't want him to have it, even if he pays me 1/2 the value. We own it as tenants in common. We were unable to settle with a mediator. Will the court force him to sell or will they make... Read more »

Mark Anderson
Mark Anderson answered on Mar 8, 2016

You are better off to work it out in mediation. The court might order a sale if the property cannot be divided. At least in mediation, you know what you will get.

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law for Montana on
Q: Do I have less rights to my children if I gave them their father - boyfriend - his last name?

He promised me we would be married when our son was born and that has not happened. I am pregnant currently with another child and he is the father, and he is threatening to leave and take the children with him. what are my rights? what should I do? I have MS and he is using that against me saying... Read more »

Terrence H Thorgaard
Terrence H Thorgaard answered on Oct 14, 2015

Whether or not they have his surname has very little, if anything to do with what parental rights you have. The fact that you have MS may have some bearing, but not very much, probably.

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law for Montana on
Q: If the parenting plan has been vacated, then the custodial parent wants to reinstate the original plan, can he?

The children's father was originally awarded primary custody, the for about a year we've been doing 50/50, now he wants to go back to the original plan. Can he do this?

Robert Jason De Groot
Robert Jason De Groot answered on Oct 13, 2015

You have to follow the court order. Get an attorney on your side swiftly.

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law and Public Benefits for Montana on
Q: Can My spouse collect Alamony without it changing her SSDI
Bradley Jay Jones
Bradley Jay Jones answered on Apr 10, 2015

Yes, SSDI is not tied to resource availability. If your wife were receiving SSI the alimony would count as a resource and likely disqualify her from receiving benefits.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.