Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Nevada Civil Litigation Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation for Nevada on
Q: Can you go after an ex spouse for money you put towards an old house when I received nothing on closing of the house
Malik Waqar Ahmad
Malik Waqar Ahmad answered on Jan 11, 2022

If you were not on the escrow papers, title of the home, you would get nothing. However, you always have a private cause of action as breach of contract but be prepared to face an uphill battle.

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation, Civil Rights and Constitutional Law for Nevada on
Q: Do I have to show identification to an police officer if i wasnt involved in a crime an didnt commit a crime?

I was illegaly detained an imprisoned by hotel security for a crime someone else did an I wasnt around the crime occured had no knowledge of the crime. Just for being an acquintance to the individual.

Malik Waqar Ahmad
Malik Waqar Ahmad answered on Jan 11, 2022

It is your duty to fully cooperate with any lawful demand of the police officer. However, it is his job to determine the probable cause. The probable cause is a legal word which means he has justified reasons that you are invovled or had committed or violated a law. For instance, police cannot stop... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation for Nevada on
Q: My car was towed for not having current registration on 2/19/2021 from a condo unit of which I am a resident.

I have an appt with the DMV on 4/27/2021. The tow yard will not release the vehicle without a moving permit. The DMV will not issue a temp moving permit without insurance, smog cert...etc. I can’t get a smog without the vehicle, can’t get the vehicle without a moving permit and can’t get a... Read more »

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing answered on Feb 26, 2021

see if you can get an earlier DMV appointment--if you can't call your state rep and state senator immediately. Do you have insurance? that's a start. If not, get it. Who had the tow truck tow it? The tow company is responsible--file a complaint with whoever licenses them. Towing is... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce and Civil Litigation for Nevada on
Q: Can parties to a post nuptial stipulate to the state of jurisdiction. I.E. both reside in Nevada, but one or both move '

one or both move to Calif. and / or Oregon?

Bonnie M Lonardo
Bonnie M Lonardo answered on Dec 15, 2020

Post-nuptial agreements are recognized in all 50 states, regardless of where they were originally drafted and filed. However, many laws vary state to state, therefore, if a matter included in the post-nuptial agreement was pertinent to the laws in the state in which it was filed, that matter may... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Business Formation, Business Law, Civil Litigation and Contracts for Nevada on
Q: Can my business partner change ownership percentage without my knowledge?

I have K1s stating my percentage ownership. Is K1s good enough to establish percentage of ownership?

Tri Minh Nguyen
Tri Minh Nguyen answered on Apr 13, 2020

Good question. Usually, a business partner can't change your ownership percentage in a partnership or company without your permission or unless you have given the partner some sort of right to do so. There are tax implications associated with that change (especially if you are in a... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation for Nevada on
Q: I lent my bird to someone temporarily and she won't give himback. I don't want cash, I just want him back. Whatcan I do?

The officer that was involved with the civil standby during the attempt said this is a civil matter and not criminal. I don't want cash compensation. Can a judge make a ruling, forcing her to return my bird?

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Mar 30, 2020

Try reposting under Animal/Dog Law. There's no guarantee that all posts are answered, but the attorneys in that category would have the best insight into such a matter. Good luck

Tim Akpinar

1 Answer | Asked in Real Estate Law, Arbitration / Mediation Law and Civil Litigation for Nevada on
Q: Can I be held responsible for damage to my neighbors unit?

I live in a Common Interest Community; and have been accused of putting materials [such a paint, drywall, construction materials, etc...] down the drain. There was damage to their bathroom with this stuff coming up out of their drain. The plumbing is shared between mine and the neighboring unit. I... Read more »

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Dec 20, 2019

I'm sorry for your difficult situation. You could ask to see the report and conclusions of the plumber whose determination is used to establish liability. If those findings are against you, you could consider the option of contacting a plumber of your own for a second opinion. If some sort of... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation for Nevada on
Q: Summary Judgement is not a decision to be taken lightly (by a court). is ther a case law that suppoerts this?
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Oct 12, 2019

Look at summary judgment in terms of what it means, and you'll realize on its face that it is a decision not to be taken lightly. When a party files a motion for summary judgment, they ask the court to reach a conclusion about the issue without trial. Under Rule 56 of the Federal Rules of... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts, Copyright, Civil Litigation and Communications Law for Nevada on
Q: Is it illegal to post an ad on a dating app of an ex saying this person uses drugs and lies to manipulate people.

The photo from that person’s dating profile would be used in this hypothetical. The statements are true.

Bruce Alexander Minnick
Bruce Alexander Minnick answered on Aug 24, 2019

Yes, it is illegal--at least in the sense of possibly being defamatory, which is actionable in most if not all states. However, truth is usually an absolute defense in most if not all states too. Practically speaking, no lawyer would ever advise any client to go online in a public forum to do what... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation and Domestic Violence for Nevada on
Q: Is there a process whereby I can be accompanied by a peace officer in case to prevent violence by a third party involved

First party is my daughter diagnosed with incapaciting mental condition, possibly coerced by a pimp drug user

Arnab Kumar Banerjee
Arnab Kumar Banerjee answered on Jan 29, 2019

there is a thing called Nevada protection order . it is actually an order by which the applicant can use power of court t require a third party to do or not to do something. you should apply for this order in order to protect your daughter. follow this link to apply or understand... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation for Nevada on
Q: I left my power saw in the back of my pickup. I took it to a dealer for service and the saw was missing when I picked

the truck up the saw was missing is the dealer responsible or am I?

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Dec 4, 2018

It could depend on additional facts, one of which would be whether they had a policy or disclaimer regarding property left in vehicles.

Tim Akpinar

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts, Criminal Law, Personal Injury and Civil Litigation for Nevada on
Q: What is hotel security protocol and are they liable for damages in a shooting?

This concerns the hotel mass shooting oct 1 2017

Someone said

Service elevators are not protected by law. That’s a company policy and the only reason they are called service elevators is because they are generally larger in size, able to carry a heavier load, and keep the public... Read more »

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing answered on Jul 19, 2018

If anyone is sued by MGM grand I'll be happy to give them a free consult.

As to the question, status of elevators is not relevant.

Hotel security guards and management liable if they don't take appropriate steps. If the person is violent they are not required to put their...
Read more »

Q: The NV Board of Veterinary Examiners has taken my vet's licence. Their regulations do not provide an appeal process

How does my vet find how to challenge their ruling.

Joel Gary Selik
Joel Gary Selik answered on Apr 30, 2018

Contact Attorney Kevin Murphy

1 Answer | Asked in Car Accidents, Personal Injury and Civil Litigation for Nevada on
Q: Hi we were in a accident in July of 2016 we hired a accident lawyer to handle the case. At this point the demand letter

has been sent out and the litigation process has been started probably going on 5 months. Now we are not happy with the lawyers office because we call we never get in touch with the office and when we do they give us no information and tell us there going to call us back but never do we have to... Read more »

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing answered on Mar 11, 2017

I suggest you sit down with the attorney in person to review things. You may always change attorneys but a new attorney may have a concern about jumping in the middle of something. There are time lags in litigation, so I'm not shocked--the lawyers office is doing a not good job of advising you... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights, Sexual Harassment, Personal Injury and Civil Litigation for Nevada on
Q: In Nv, is there anything that can stop or halt the moving of a prisoner based on the facts of discrimination by facility

He's been segregated in solitaire confinement by the NORTHERN NV CORRECTIONAL CENTER based on his health status and sexual orientation and discriminated against now for about 8.5 months. I contacted the facility after the DOJ stepped in and advised them that an attorney would be contacting... Read more »

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing answered on Sep 3, 2016

Contact the Nevada Civil Liberties Union, and ask to speak with one of their "cooperating attorneys" for prison issues. They give free consults.

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation for Nevada on
Q: If a previous defendant reopens his case is he then the plaintiff?
Adam Studnicki
Adam Studnicki answered on Jul 14, 2015

Not sure the defendant ever becomes a plaintiff in the same case, but a defendant can become a counterclaimant or a cross-plaintiff, at least in AZ.

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation for Nevada on
Q: Why does it take so long for a judge in Las Vegas to let the party know about a decision of a law suit , ? how long does

Thed lawyer in Las Vegas said she will let the part know her decision after a law suit how long does it take, ?

Jonathan Craig Reed
Jonathan Craig Reed answered on May 18, 2011

Your question is hard one. Usually judges have no time limits. Most judges are conscientious and try to promptly write a decision. Occasionally judges sit on a decision for a long time. Lawyers debate among themselves what they can do, if anything, to try and help their client when a judge sits on... Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.